Emma Watson Talks Acting, the Future, and Harry/Hermione in New Interview

Watson Interviews
Posted by: Edward
December 18, 2008, 09:52 PM

A new interview with Emma Watson (Hermione Granger) is online this evening which features the young actress answering fourteen questions from MovieFone.com.  Miss Watson, who is currently promoting her latest film, The Tales of Despereaux, spoke on a number of subjects during this interview including her experience working on an animated film, her Harry Potter co-stars Dan Radcliffe (Harry Potter) and Robert Pattinson (Cedric Diggory), life in the public eye, and about the relationship between the characters of Harry and Hermione.  When asked if she was disappointed a different relationship never developed between the two characters, Miss Watson notes that she felt is was "always obvious" that Harry and Hermione shared a pure friendship, saying in full:

No ... I mean, to me it was always obvious that their relationship was purely friends. It always felt to me that she was very mothering towards him. It just wouldn't be right. And I think that Ron and Hermione are so perfect for each other that I'm not disappointed. [Laughs] It's meant to be.
The interview also features talk of Goblet of Fire costar Robert Pattinson, who she notes "must be over the moon" about the recent Twilight success, and Dan Radcliffe and Rupert Grint (Ron Weasley) who all continue to keep in touch between Potter films.  Finally, discussion turns to The Tales of Despereaux and her experience making this film.  In regards to any surprises she experienced in making an animated film, she relates:
It's so rewarding to be a part of -- I mean, this may just apply to 'Despereaux,' I don't know -- but it's incredible to be a character that is being created from animation, and to be involved in that way, and then go sit down in a theater and see something that is almost a complete surprise to you, in the way that it looks and ... it was amazing going to see it. I was just so happy with it -- I'm proud of it. To do so little and to produce something so amazing is quite incredible. It's very liberating, in a way, not to be worrying about your appearance, and just focusing on the voice.
The full interview can be read right here.

Thanks Andie.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Watson Interviews News

EruditeWitch

You might be on to something! But I’m already married! :)

Posted by EruditeWitch on December 19, 2008, 06:35 PM report to moderator
H

Nice work, Emma.

Posted by H on December 19, 2008, 06:37 PM report to moderator
Mora

Eruditewitch have you seen the pictures of the POA premiere?the behind the scenes in GOF dvd?Everyone without blindness know that Dan and Emma had a thing during 2003-2005,Emma can’t say"oh yes,we had a romance"because all the fans would be mad and the media too

Posted by Mora on December 19, 2008, 06:43 PM report to moderator
 EruditeWitch

I respect Emma too much to go against her own words. Saying things like that about her when she says they are untrue is not fair to her.

Posted by EruditeWitch on December 19, 2008, 06:50 PM report to moderator
ann

“You might be on to something! But I’m already married!”

EruditeWitch: When has reality ever been an obstacle to shipping?

Happy Holidays to you and radcakesfan. lol

Posted by ann on December 19, 2008, 07:00 PM report to moderator
snoopy

So radcakesfan thinks Emma is just lying with her R/Hr shipping? Riiight.

Now I’m beggining to think you’re a troll.

Posted by snoopy on December 19, 2008, 07:08 PM report to moderator
Mora

Well Eruditewitch the images are pretty obvious,the words can be lies

Posted by Mora on December 19, 2008, 07:15 PM report to moderator
EruditeWitch

Mora- You are calling Emma a liar now? Wow…

Ann- I think maybe you should read my scribbulus essay to understand shipping and shippers a little better.

Posted by EruditeWitch on December 19, 2008, 07:22 PM report to moderator
Mora

Eruditewitch first see the pictures and images,i’m talking about proofs…i remember when Zac and Vanessa were in all their interviews"we are only friends blah blah blah"and one month later they were surprised..when someone doesn’t want his/her private life on the media..

Posted by Mora on December 19, 2008, 07:41 PM report to moderator
EruditeWtich

I’ve seen them. I post on a message board where there is a DE thread. I know what you guys think. They were holding hands at the POA premier. That’s all fine and good.

But if she says she’s not dating someone and NEVER HAS, you must take her word for it. It’s very rude to come on a public site and make statements like that.

And furthermore, I really doubt that her and Dan are more than friends. I won’t elaborate because it’s rude, but all clues point somewhere else.

Posted by EruditeWtich on December 19, 2008, 07:45 PM report to moderator
Mora

rolls eyesok Eruditewitch,if you are happy thinking that they were only friends…

Posted by Mora on December 19, 2008, 08:07 PM report to moderator
HermioneG

Nice interview.

Umh, I’m pretty hesitant to take part in this discussion, but I’m going to add my 2 cents anyway. I am a Harry/Hermione shipper, but the fact that it never happened in canon didn’t really hinder my enjoyment of the final books. Harry Potter books were always about so much more than the romances of the trio.

Emma has always been very vocal about her Ron/Hermione support and that’s her right. I know some Portkey posters who were pretty pissed off at her, but I never understood their anger. She’s the actress playing Hermione, not Hermione herself. At some point I begun to realize, that the lines between the books, the movies, and the actors were VERY blurry for certain people… and that scared me.

Sadly, it has become apparent that other H/Hr shippers still haven’t gotten over their bitterness, and I’m not able to discuss the books with them any longer. Not even about non-shippy topics. It’s pretty ironic that I can do this with R/Hr shippers without any problems.

What comes to the actors, I think it’s pretty insulting to doubt them. Dan/Emma pics? Oh please. There are equally cute Rupert/Emma pics as well, but she’s not dating either of the boys, and never has. Media loves to make up stuff, and there are always baseless romance rumors flying around. It’s enough to have a guy and a girl working together, whoever they might be; and there will be rumors. That’s all it takes.

Posted by HermioneG on December 19, 2008, 08:11 PM report to moderator
EruditeWitch

That’s what most of us canon shippers seek, HermioneG: A rational view on shipping. It’s nice to see shippers like you still out there.

There’s a difference between preferring a ship and insisting things that just aren’t true. Belittling the characters because you don’t like the romantic choices, insulting the author (she even got hate mail!), and rejecting even truthful statements from those involved with the movies and books is not rational.

And it deserves our scrutiny.

Posted by EruditeWitch on December 19, 2008, 08:27 PM report to moderator
Mora

Hermione G go to google and search"Prisioner of Azkaban premiere"you will have a surprise or you can see the behind the scenes in GOF,if you find pictures and images of Rupert and Emma like these,tell me.

Posted by Mora on December 19, 2008, 08:46 PM report to moderator
Quotidias

Personally, it makes me really uncomfortable when people start confusing actors with the characters they play. Saying that H/Hr should happen because Dan/Emma have great chemistry is just weird. Dan isn’t Harry, and Emma isn’t Hermione. Rupert isn’t Ron, for that matter, either. What the actors’ personal opinions are and what they have to do to perform their roles are two separate things. In this case, it just so happens that Emma is an R/Hr shipper, but she probably was already even before she started playing Hermione. Remember, GoF was already out by the time the first movie was being filmed, so they all kind of knew which direction the romances were going. The fact that she actually likes R/Hr probably will make it easier for her to play her part, but she’d play her part even if she wasn’t an R/Hr shipper. It’s called being professional.

I also think that it’s insulting to both Dan and Emma to say that their “romantic” chemistry comes through on film even though their characters aren’t supposed to be anything more than friends. You are basically saying that Dan and Emma are bad actors who can’t properly play their characters. I think Dan’s a great actor, and Emma’s getting better, and therefore I have a lot of respect for their abilities. I’ve never seen anything except the great friendship chemistry D/E have, the same chemistry that Rupert and Dan have. And I’m sorry, but talking about a picture of Dan and Emma holding hands taken in 2005 when PoA came out has absolutely no relevance to today, and certainly has nothing to do with Harry, Hermione, or Ron. Again, the actors aren’t their characters, so Emma and Dan holding hands back in 2005 says nothing at all about Harry and Hermione’s relationship. FWIW I don’t think Emma has dated either one of the boys, nor is it likely she will. I do think it’s nice that they all stay in touch when they’re not filming, though, it shows that they really are great friends. Who says they have to couple up? Why can’t they just be friends?

Posted by Quotidias on December 19, 2008, 08:50 PM report to moderator

[i]'One simple incantation and you will enter a top-quality, highly realistic thirty-minute daydream, easy to fit into the average school lesson and virtually undetectable (side-effects include vacant expression and minor drooling). Not for sale to under-