Emma Watson Talks Acting, the Future, and Harry/Hermione in New Interview

Watson Interviews
Posted by: Edward
December 18, 2008, 09:52 PM

A new interview with Emma Watson (Hermione Granger) is online this evening which features the young actress answering fourteen questions from MovieFone.com.  Miss Watson, who is currently promoting her latest film, The Tales of Despereaux, spoke on a number of subjects during this interview including her experience working on an animated film, her Harry Potter co-stars Dan Radcliffe (Harry Potter) and Robert Pattinson (Cedric Diggory), life in the public eye, and about the relationship between the characters of Harry and Hermione.  When asked if she was disappointed a different relationship never developed between the two characters, Miss Watson notes that she felt is was "always obvious" that Harry and Hermione shared a pure friendship, saying in full:

No ... I mean, to me it was always obvious that their relationship was purely friends. It always felt to me that she was very mothering towards him. It just wouldn't be right. And I think that Ron and Hermione are so perfect for each other that I'm not disappointed. [Laughs] It's meant to be.
The interview also features talk of Goblet of Fire costar Robert Pattinson, who she notes "must be over the moon" about the recent Twilight success, and Dan Radcliffe and Rupert Grint (Ron Weasley) who all continue to keep in touch between Potter films.  Finally, discussion turns to The Tales of Despereaux and her experience making this film.  In regards to any surprises she experienced in making an animated film, she relates:
It's so rewarding to be a part of -- I mean, this may just apply to 'Despereaux,' I don't know -- but it's incredible to be a character that is being created from animation, and to be involved in that way, and then go sit down in a theater and see something that is almost a complete surprise to you, in the way that it looks and ... it was amazing going to see it. I was just so happy with it -- I'm proud of it. To do so little and to produce something so amazing is quite incredible. It's very liberating, in a way, not to be worrying about your appearance, and just focusing on the voice.
The full interview can be read right here.

Thanks Andie.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Watson Interviews News

mollywobbles23

Why do people always throw a fit when she shows her support of R/Hr? She mentions it whenever asked about them or a question like this one.

Posted by mollywobbles23 on December 19, 2008, 11:30 AM report to moderator
david

@jenstar, you are just another Emma basher. I love it when you guys start foaming at the mouth. Your rants are hilarious!!!

Posted by david on December 19, 2008, 12:08 PM report to moderator
Kiwi Mc I

kitkat were you expecting Emma to put on a voice. She doesn’t work for the Simpsons many actors when they give their voice on an animated film don’t put on one. I could go through an incredibly long of successful animated films were this were true
And Bella vs Hermione pah there’s no contest.

Posted by Kiwi Mc I on December 19, 2008, 12:27 PM report to moderator
snoopy

I’m not an Emma basher, but I think that the movie Hermione was pretty much ruined in PoA and GoF. I lblame Kloves more than Emma for it, though.

Posted by snoopy on December 19, 2008, 12:35 PM report to moderator
EruditeWitch

The shipping wars aren’t over. If you visit certain websites, you’ll see some seriously delusional stuff. I still wank them, actually.

my blog is on my livejournal under EruditeFics and the OBHWF myspace page at www.myspace.com/obhwf

You’ll see that as recently as last week, members of The Portkey were calling Hermione weak and staying Stephenie Meyer was a better writer.

Posted by EruditeWitch on December 19, 2008, 01:24 PM report to moderator
Mora

This is for the obssesive and intolerant canon fans:all the books have fans with different opinions and favorites characters even if the series is already finished,you seem insecure and inmature.

Posted by Mora on December 19, 2008, 02:05 PM report to moderator
snoopy

“Canon fans” have the books on their side. They shouldn’t be sorry about that. Besides most people will always want to talk about what actually happned in the books, instead of pondering what might have happened between Harry and Hermione if.. you know.. they would be totally different characters, written by a totally different writer.

If you can’t stand it, if you’d rather discuss how bad writer JKR or whatever, go elsewhere.

Posted by snoopy on December 19, 2008, 02:43 PM report to moderator
Mora

Snoopy i said"i’m a huge H/G shipper"so JK is excellent in my opinion but you and other people bashing H/Hr is really annoying,you are very childish….you have the happy epilogue,now respect other ships

Posted by Mora on December 19, 2008, 03:05 PM report to moderator
EruditeWitch

I dont’ think I can respect someone who sees something that isn’t there.

And that ship we’re supposed to respect has recently been on a website where they are bashing JKR, calling Hermione weak and a bad influence on girls, and saying that Stephenie Meyer is a far better writer.

That deserves no respect. look for it yourself on Portkey.

Posted by EruditeWitch on December 19, 2008, 03:09 PM report to moderator
snoopy

Yeah, I agree.

I don’t pay much attention to harmonians, but whenever I see them posting, it’s nothing that deserves that my respect.

Like EruditeWitch, I also have a hard time respecting people who “see” something that just isn’t there. There’s a word that begins with a “d” to describe that kind of behaviour, I think.

Posted by snoopy on December 19, 2008, 03:20 PM report to moderator
radcakesfan

If some people think Stephanie Meyer is a better writer, that’s their opinion. Who cares? There are probably more than a few twilight fans that would agree and if a few of them happen to prefer h/hr, who are you to judge what writer they like? I however, couldn’t say, i am not likely to ever read that series, nor see that movie for that matter. I agree with Mora, it’s obvious that there are canonshippers who look unbalanced and REALLY insecure , just because they can’t seem to handle that there are many people who prefer their fanships. Worse thing is, apparently they are adults. Talk about pathetic. They obviously need lives.

I will say that all the trio have said that it was probably r/hr from the second movie. Really, what else could they say? Of course they are going to push the r/hr coupling, it’s what Jo wrote. We will never know truthfully what they feel about the couplings until it is all over though. There’s stuff you say and stuff you don’t say, for publicity reasons. Actors and directors and crew have to show a united front. When you don’t, the poop hits the fan.

I for one, prefer h/hr. Maybe it’s the actors, but i don’t think so. I can’t get into the weasly chick or Ron for that matter. For someone as intelligent and modern as Hermione, i personally would want someone like Harry for her. Ron is beneath her.someone to date but not to marry. Also may i point out, that Emma , having said many times that they are a lot like their characters, said in the japanese GOF press conference , that she would herself prefer Harry. ’nuff said. (watches explosions lol )

Oh yeah, Jonathan Ross is a movie reviewer. He seemed to like h/hr as well. Also it could be the hero/heroine thing playing with the coupling thing, plus (and this was mentioned in reviews from poa era) that Dan and Emma grew up looking handsome/beautiful). Regarding chemistry, the r/hr romance has been obvious with the non-hug in hp2, the handholding in hp3, ballroom scenes in hp4, and the glances etc in hp 5. Obviously the audience is going to notice that, it was MADE very obvious ie hit over the head obvious. Harry had his romantic target in Cho and now in the hp6, in Ginny. They made the non h/hr obvious in GoF, when Hermione kisses Harry ON TOP OF THE HEAD. Not on the forehead, but on the head like when you kiss a child. However, Dan and Emma just have that chemistry, just walking beside each other or past each other. It’s just there, even though they don’t have any romantic scenes with each other. Must be what they call movie magic.

Posted by radcakesfan on December 19, 2008, 04:09 PM report to moderator
EruditeWitch

Thanks, Radcakesfan, that’s all I needed. Keep an eye on my blog if you dare.

Also, so you’re claiming that Emma probalby likes H/Hr and is just lying becuase she’s been told to push something else?

I don’t think I look nearly as bad as someone who thinks that.

Posted by EruditeWitch on December 19, 2008, 04:15 PM report to moderator
radcakesfan

Just what i’d expect from someone who made herself judge and jury on another h/hr fan. Loved that little thing you wrote , showed just what a bully you are. Quite disappointed me when i realized your true colors. You and some of the others here are just why i will never be a canon fan.

As for emma, i’m betting she and the others are trying to encourage the r.hr coupling and get away from the possibly d/e slant the public seemed to see. I ’m sure Jkr was disappointed in the level and amount of dislike her couplings evoked when the books came out. The films WERE a part of that and they know that.

Posted by radcakesfan on December 19, 2008, 04:30 PM report to moderator
EruditeWitch

Only a bully to those who deserve it by saying such nasty things on these comments.

And Emma said her and Dan have never dated and never will in the Times Online interview.

It’s not a good thing to create scenarios based on nothing.

And the amount of dislike it very very small in comparison with the amount of happiness.

Posted by EruditeWitch on December 19, 2008, 04:33 PM report to moderator
ann

radcakesfan & EruditeWitch,

Your fights remind me of Ron and Hermione’s. I wonder if your relationship will end in marriage as well. I think I’ll start a new ship – radcakesfan/EruditeWitch. SQUEE!

Posted by ann on December 19, 2008, 06:13 PM report to moderator

"I'm a Metamorphamagus," she said, looking back at her reflection and turning her head so that she could see her hair from all directions. "It means I can change my appearance at will... I was born one. I got top marks in Concealment and Disguise during A