Emma Watson Talks Acting, the Future, and Harry/Hermione in New Interview

Watson Interviews
Posted by: Edward
December 18, 2008, 09:52 PM

A new interview with Emma Watson (Hermione Granger) is online this evening which features the young actress answering fourteen questions from MovieFone.com.  Miss Watson, who is currently promoting her latest film, The Tales of Despereaux, spoke on a number of subjects during this interview including her experience working on an animated film, her Harry Potter co-stars Dan Radcliffe (Harry Potter) and Robert Pattinson (Cedric Diggory), life in the public eye, and about the relationship between the characters of Harry and Hermione.  When asked if she was disappointed a different relationship never developed between the two characters, Miss Watson notes that she felt is was "always obvious" that Harry and Hermione shared a pure friendship, saying in full:

No ... I mean, to me it was always obvious that their relationship was purely friends. It always felt to me that she was very mothering towards him. It just wouldn't be right. And I think that Ron and Hermione are so perfect for each other that I'm not disappointed. [Laughs] It's meant to be.
The interview also features talk of Goblet of Fire costar Robert Pattinson, who she notes "must be over the moon" about the recent Twilight success, and Dan Radcliffe and Rupert Grint (Ron Weasley) who all continue to keep in touch between Potter films.  Finally, discussion turns to The Tales of Despereaux and her experience making this film.  In regards to any surprises she experienced in making an animated film, she relates:
It's so rewarding to be a part of -- I mean, this may just apply to 'Despereaux,' I don't know -- but it's incredible to be a character that is being created from animation, and to be involved in that way, and then go sit down in a theater and see something that is almost a complete surprise to you, in the way that it looks and ... it was amazing going to see it. I was just so happy with it -- I'm proud of it. To do so little and to produce something so amazing is quite incredible. It's very liberating, in a way, not to be worrying about your appearance, and just focusing on the voice.
The full interview can be read right here.

Thanks Andie.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Watson Interviews News

Emilie

What’s the point in canon shippers getting in the face of “H/H” shippers? It’s not going to solve or convince anyone of anything. Just because there are some people that have different opinions doesn’t mean the HP canonverse is going to implode.

Obviously it’s written in black and white, now. Let people have fun with their pairings. Honestly, I don’t see why H/R vs H/H is so explosive; there are some pretty crazy pairings out there and I don’t see many raising their voices against them—want to take a crack at Draco/Neville, Remus/Sirius, Luna/Crumple-horned Snorkack, anyone? (OK, so I made the last one up, but still. It might exist. This is the Internets after all.)

My point is: non-canon ships are going to be around whether canon shippers like it or not, so just get over it and stop rubbing crap in their faces, it only makes them ornery.

Besides all that! Emma is a lovely girl and I really hope she is as successful after the Potter films as Daniel is now. :)

Posted by Emilie on December 19, 2008, 04:59 AM report to moderator
Scully

‘to me it was always obvious their relationship was purely friends.’ More proof that Emma’s an intelligent young lady.

Posted by Scully on December 19, 2008, 05:24 AM report to moderator
Jim

Emilie, my reply was to Chelsea implying Emma only said this so as not to upset Jo! This is the delusion – that everybody really thinks that way. Of course Chelsea and others are entitled to have their own fantasy world. The majority of us, including Emma, prefer Jo’s.

Posted by Jim on December 19, 2008, 05:36 AM report to moderator
Miriam

God I’m sick of this silly shipping – can people not focus on the rest of the interview? I found it funny that the first page said that she was playing a another posh girl – completely true – it would be nice for Emma to move away from that. I can’t believe the twilight comparison – sorry, but it is not on the same level of HP, going by numbers and by the diversity of the fans. Potter has a diverser and larger following than twilight – stop the comparison they’re nothing at all alike. I can’t believe they asked about the “role model” of Bella v Hermione – I can’t stand hermione a lot of the time but at least she doesn’t promote the misogynistic/controlling views held in twilight of the possessive boyfriend and damsel in distress. I just don’t think that’s a good role model for young girls. And no, I’m not bashing twilight fans – but hermione is a lot more independent and pioneering than bella.

Posted by Miriam on December 19, 2008, 05:53 AM report to moderator
Karin

Aaaaw Emma, forever a R/Hr shipper, bless!
I agree Miriam, Hermione is a great role model in a lot of ways, Bella is some sort of submissive romantic fantasy figure, a modern day Cinderella waiting to be swept off her feet by her (vampire) prince.
Hermione sweeps her prince off HIS feet, and only after standing her ground and doing what’s right!

Posted by Karin on December 19, 2008, 06:29 AM report to moderator
Professor Potter

Actually, since watching Order of the Pheonix (movie) I became a Luna/Harry shipper, lol. Seriously, I kind of wish Harry found his true love in Luna. But then again I do like the story of an 8/9 year old having a secret crush on a famous boy wizard, who saved her life in her first year, and bearing that crush secretly for many years had finally won his heart!

Posted by Professor Potter on December 19, 2008, 06:59 AM report to moderator
Orchid

Hehe, R/Hr forever! x

Posted by Orchid on December 19, 2008, 07:13 AM report to moderator
regina potter

im really boring journalists ask about twilight hp actors and actress.twilight couldnt near harry potter.people will see at 2010.hp will be successfull then twilight squel in box office.(but some fake harry potter fans not returning twilight fan)

Posted by regina potter on December 19, 2008, 07:59 AM report to moderator
kitkat

I am so sick of shippers too! Tell her to go back to 2004 when they were big!

Posted by kitkat on December 19, 2008, 08:32 AM report to moderator
dove

I’m glad she knows how to read and interpret the story unlike some delusional HP fans.

Posted by dove on December 19, 2008, 09:52 AM report to moderator
potterhead23

OMG I love Harry/Luna too! I know H/G is so perfect, but I just thought it would be awesome if there was something between H/L, especially since I love Luna so much (and am a lot like her -)

I am a bit confused about the shipping war going on right now, though. I thought they’d be over (mostly) with book 7 and alternate shipping would just be for fun and fanfics/vids.

Posted by potterhead23 on December 19, 2008, 09:54 AM report to moderator
jenstar

not that it matters, but she clearly doesn’t know that twilight is a book, not just a film.

Posted by jenstar on December 19, 2008, 10:08 AM report to moderator
jenstar

Hate it when interviewers comment on playing a ‘posh girl’ Hermione is not a posh girl, Emma is and she has just played it that way. No where in the books is Hermione considered posh, in the wizarding world if anyone was posh it would be the Malfoy’s or a pure blood family.

Posted by jenstar on December 19, 2008, 10:11 AM report to moderator
dove

potterhead23, some H/Hr shippers are still choosing to believe what they ‘see’ in the books, even though there was nothing to see. I thought it would be over when the 7th book came out too but I guess not. I can see people still doing fics, vids, whatever, but most of the H/Hr people I see are still crazy and delusional and obsessed with their ship! It sank people, get over it and stop trying to prove that JKR was wrong about her OWN characters she made up! /end rant :D

Posted by dove on December 19, 2008, 11:13 AM report to moderator
jenstar

Did they really call Hermione a posh girl? WTF?!?!? She’s supposed to be a dumpy nerd! THAT’S NOT POSH! Thanks for ruining Hermione, Kloves (and Emma)

Posted by jenstar on December 19, 2008, 11:14 AM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"Ron... haven't I been a good friend... a good pet? You won't let them kill me, Ron, will you... you're on my side, aren't you?"[br]But Ron was staring at Pettigrew with the utmost revulsion.[br]"I let you sleep in my [i]bed[/i]!" he said.