JK Rowling Comments on Success of "The Tales of Beedle the Bard" Sales for Charity

Books
December 17, 2008, 08:23 AM

Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling has made some new comments in the wake of the release of The Tales of Beedle the Bard. The new book, which was released on December 4 with all proceeds to benefit the Children's High Level group charity, raced to the top of the best seller lists. The PA reports that "2,629,000 copies of the book - the first from the writer since Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows - were sold in the first week, generating £4.2 million for children suffering in institutions. Jo is quoted as follows:

"I am absolutely delighted that so much money has been raised," Rowling said.

"I would like to thank everyone who has so far purchased a copy of the book.

"All royalties will be going to help children without families, many of them with disabilities, whose voices have been unheard for many years."

On the CHL website, further comments can be found from charity officials:

Richard Alderslade, Chief Executive of CHLG, said: "We had no idea what to expect in terms of sales figures so we are thrilled by such impressive sales in the first week alone. Whatever the final total, and we do hope that Beedle stays on top of the bestsellers list for Christmas, the project will certainly raise a huge amount to fund our work, giving hundreds of thousands of vulnerable children across Central and Eastern Europe a better life. Each time someone opens a copy of Beedle this Christmas or gives it as a gift, they will be making a difference to the life of a vulnerable child living not so very many miles away.

"Once again, we'd like to extend our thanks to JK Rowling for her ongoing support and for the wonderful gift of Beedle; not only the beautiful handcrafted copy we auctioned last year, but for allowing us to publish the tales so that people everywhere can enjoy them."

In case you missed it previously, photos from the launch of Beedle the Bard are available here in our image galleries, with TLC's video coverage found here and here.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Books News

Confederate Lady

I am so glad that this was such a success. Raising awareness of these children and helping them, is worth it. Being able to help and get something fantastic, at the same time, is thrilling. Thank you, JKR, for your creativity, your courage, and mostly for your unswerving devotion both, to children everywhere, and your fans.
We may not always “see eye to eye” but I think, on this, we do! Good on ya, girl! You go!!!!

Posted by Confederate Lady on December 17, 2008, 08:29 AM report to moderator
taylor

omg second comment!!!!!!!! so i know my mum bought it for me for christmas, and i really tempted just to sneak in her room, open the darn thing, and just read it!!!! omg cant wait

Posted by taylor on December 17, 2008, 08:30 AM report to moderator
Miriam

I wish people would do that stupid “first!!” “second!!” nonsense, it’s hardly something of an achievement, is it?

Really happy about the success of Beedle – so much money for a great cause. I haven’t started reading my copy yet, want to wait a bit, but can’t wait.

Posted by Miriam on December 17, 2008, 08:55 AM report to moderator
Martin

I’m so happy to hear. You know they got big money, so it is so great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Martin on December 17, 2008, 09:04 AM report to moderator
kassia

I’m a Twilight fan too, but I am thrilled that this worthwhile book beat Breaking Dawn. I THINK I got it for Christmas, so I can’t wait to read it. I feel so terrible that I didn’t buy it myself, but I spent it on buying Harry, A History instead. :D

Posted by kassia on December 17, 2008, 09:22 AM report to moderator
Jim

Just finished reading it today – loved Dumbledore’s witty notes. The Tale of the Three Brothers is still my favourite, though The Warlock’s Hairy Heart has my type of ending!

Posted by Jim on December 17, 2008, 10:43 AM report to moderator
Moody One

I love JKR even more for doing this. These kids deserve all the help they can get.

Posted by Moody One on December 17, 2008, 12:10 PM report to moderator
Eeyore

I’m so happy that sales are generating money for such a worthwhile cause. I hope it continues. While my bookstore has their copies displayed on a center aisle table, they really have done nothing to promote the sale of Beedle the Bard.

But I did my part: I bought one copy for myself, which I’ve already enjoyed reading, and two more copies to give to my daughter’s at Christmas. Oooo, that reminds me, I need to get them wrapped and under the tree.

Posted by Eeyore on December 17, 2008, 12:33 PM report to moderator
Freya

It’s so good it did this well, i loved and have bought two copies of the standard edition and the collectors edition!

Posted by Freya on December 17, 2008, 12:38 PM report to moderator
Professor Potter

Although, I knew when buying the SE and CE editions of Beedle, that proceeds are going to charity but I never put much thought or imagery into how my purchase is contributing. I am simply being excited to own and read and cherish my copies. But when Richard says “Each time someone opens a copy of Beedle this Christmas or gives it as a gift, they will be making a difference to the life of a vulnerable child living not so very many miles away”, I am suddenly feeling quite overwhelmed. I don’t know why but I feel I really have helped a child (even more with the CE) but I feel guilty (or at least selfish) for not really thinking about it this way before. This really is great great news and really puts Jo’s power in helping less fortunate children in an awesome perspective. I am now going to buy a couple more as xmas gifts for 2 of my friends children. One of them is 5 years old though, not sure if the stories are suitable (particularly the hairy heart!)

Posted by Professor Potter on December 17, 2008, 01:22 PM report to moderator
llol

i know miriam that its not really an acheviment but its kinda of fun competing for first coment

Posted by llol on December 17, 2008, 01:49 PM report to moderator
Karen

Jo does it again!!!

God Bless Her!!!

Posted by Karen on December 17, 2008, 04:29 PM report to moderator
Eric

I don’t know if I like Beedle or not… I can’t get my deluxe edition away from my 11-year-old daughter. I may have to go buy the paperback just so I can read the stories myself. However, the case looks amazingly impressive on my bookshelf.

Posted by Eric on December 17, 2008, 05:46 PM report to moderator
porpy1

Ms. Rowling is not only talented but also compassionate and not only thinks of herself like so many of the famous, but of those who have had no hope. She is totally awesome and I think it’s cool that so many children’s lives will be better for her. Rock on, Rowling! She opens at the close.

Posted by porpy1 on December 17, 2008, 10:51 PM report to moderator
H

A copy- hee hee- I have two copies. : )

Posted by H on December 18, 2008, 12:32 AM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

Neighborhood children all around were terrified of him -- even more terrified than they were of "that Potter boy," who, they had been warned, was a hardened hooligan who attended St. Brutus's Secure Center for Incurably Criminal Boys.