RoundUp of HBP Set Reports Previews: More on Harry and the Waitress, Quidditch

HBP Film
December 16, 2008, 12:28 PM

In addition to the Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince Set Report preview posted by TLC and other Potter fan sites, a few more have now appeared online that give some additional quotes and insights of the sixth Harry Potter film. Of interest is more on a scene that was widely reported on several months ago, regarding Harry Potter flirting with a waitress. Rotten Tomatoes reports on this, noting this creative new addition to the plot came from the mind of screenwriter Steven Kloves. Director David Yates elaborates:

"Steve came up with this notion that, after Order of the Phoenix, Harry's in this quite intense, dark place and he's riding the trains to free his brain a wee bit and he meets this really attractive waitress who he really likes," he told us. "You immediately set up the notion that suddenly these characters are a bit more aware of the opposite sex. I thought it was a really charming, lovely idea."

Sci-Fi Wire also posted their preview that contains new information about Ron Weasley (Rupert Grint) and Quidditch. Quotage: We also observed the filming of a scene in the Great Hall, which is filled with Hogwarts students at breakfast (big platters of sausages, racks of toast). It's the day of Ron's (Rupert Grint) big Quidditch match, and he's nervous as heck. Ron enters the hall, kitted out in full Quidditch gear.

Students call out encouragement: "Good luck, eh, Ron?" "Countin' on you, Ron!" "I've got two galleons on Gryffindor!"

The camera, on a crane, tracks Ron as he walks into the hall and down the central aisle. He encounters a towering student; they stop, do that left-right dance. Ron edges around him, then emits a big sigh. Not happy.

The article also goes on to have more from actor Dan Radcliffe on the developing romance between his character of Harry Potter and Ginny Weasley, played by Bonnie Wright. "Yes, I've got everything with Ginny, which ... has been fun. It's good, fun scenes, and hopefully that'll come across on screen," he says. He adds: "It's slightly odd, though, with Bonnie, because when Katie [Leung] came in to play Cho on the fourth film, it was very much the case when she came in, we always knew she was going to be as a love interest. Whereas, of course, when I first met Bonnie, she was just another character; she was, I think, 9-10 years old when I first met her, and so it's very strange. I've sort of grown up with Bonnie, and now suddenly having to play love interest scenes is very--it's kind of odd."

Thanks much Joe for emailing!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent HBP Film News

ravesfave

I thought I was the only person who thought that the OotP movie didn’t do the book any justice. Whoever said, " all flash and no substance," is a genius after my own heart! We shall see, they have a lot to live up to with this one, its such a pivotal part of the series.

Posted by ravesfave on December 16, 2008, 03:09 PM report to moderator
ibelieveinnargles

i really don’t like the sound of that waitress scene. :[

Posted by ibelieveinnargles on December 16, 2008, 03:19 PM report to moderator
Rae

I agree with the people who say they think it’s stupid that we get harry eyeballing a waitress scene versus DUMBLEDORE’S FUNERAL. Cedric, a minor character, even got a frickin funeral but we don’t get one for a major character? And stuff actually happens at the funeral. I wanted to see Ron sooth Hermione as she cried and I wanted to see Harry break up with Ginny to protect her, even though H/G is my favorite pairing. I wanted to see Hagrid crying over Dumbledore’s body as he walked him up the aisle to the white tomb… ugh. I’m getting scared about this movie. However, I do like the train part of the idea..

Posted by Rae on December 16, 2008, 03:22 PM report to moderator
Brogan

No one likes Cho Chang

Posted by Brogan on December 16, 2008, 03:32 PM report to moderator
Redbeard

Maybe not, but I do like Katy Leung. (so cute)

Posted by Redbeard on December 16, 2008, 04:21 PM report to moderator
joe

ok, ok… i’ve always defended kloves and tried to play devil’s advocate, stating, as i believe, that the films are different beasts entirely than the books, and shouldn’t be expected to be the same…

but…

i’d expect the main character to kind of, a little bit at least, be similar to how he was written in the book… and harry just doesn’t seem flirtatious to me at all! i don’t think he’d even know how to be! … he’s more sincere and a little sheepish about his romantic feelings, not the obnoxious dude at the bar… ah well.

Posted by joe on December 16, 2008, 04:22 PM report to moderator
Redbeard

Oh, btw, Dumbledore’s funeral might just be in DH. If I understand correctly they changed the border from one book to another slightly.

Posted by Redbeard on December 16, 2008, 04:23 PM report to moderator
mrs potter

what harry flirting with a waitress like i know harry but it wasn’t even in the book first i read ginny what naow a waitress rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Posted by mrs potter on December 16, 2008, 04:34 PM report to moderator
llol

yeah harry really isnt the the flirting type. in the books he doesnt wander around being a girl magnet.

Posted by llol on December 16, 2008, 05:00 PM report to moderator
Arithmancer

I like the idea of the waitress scene. There are plenty of ways to flirt (a smile here, a little joke there, a twinkle in the eye) without being obnoxious. I can see Dan pulling it off well without breaking character.

Posted by Arithmancer on December 16, 2008, 05:07 PM report to moderator
Arithmancer

P.S. Frankly, I’d take a little flirting over that “chest moster” device any day… :)

Posted by Arithmancer on December 16, 2008, 05:08 PM report to moderator
jenny

The waitress scene sounds really stupid and very unlike Harry. Harry doesn’t flirt, he never even openly flirted with Cho or Ginny that I can remember.

I am liking the sound of all the Ron stuff, though, and the Harry/Ginny stuff should be sweet.

Posted by jenny on December 16, 2008, 05:21 PM report to moderator
jenny

Arithmancer, I’d take the “chest monster” over flirting!Harry. The chest monster was Harry’s thoughts and feelings – a nice device to hint at Harry’s sexual feelings without having him flirting all over the place. Openly flirting with a waitress is the exact opposite of that. I love JKR’s Harry, he wasn’t a flirt, he was a bit of a dork when it came to girls.

Posted by jenny on December 16, 2008, 05:25 PM report to moderator
K-Mo

Whoa, whoa, whoa, WHOA WAIT A MINUTE. There’s not going to be dual at Hogwarts at the end? There’s not going to be Dumbledore’s funeral?

You mean the movie got pushed back until the summer and they didn’t even FINISH THE STORY? That’s ridiculous. The ending of HBP is the best part of the book! So what the hell is this movie going to be about? Two hours of Harry flirting with waitresses and learning about Tom Riddle’s past? REAL ENTERTAINING THERE.

And no Dumbledore funeral? That’s wrong on so many levels. He’s the headmaster of the school, what makes WB think it’s okay to cut the end part of the book and just have the trio shrug off Dumbledore’s death and then ride out into the sunset.

Posted by K-Mo on December 16, 2008, 07:35 PM report to moderator
sl

I think it’s interesting what Dan said about it being odd having to all of a sudden do love-interest scenes with Bonnie since he grew up with her. That’s exactly how I felt when I read the books, and all of a sudden Harry had romantic feelings toward Ginny. He’d grown up with her and had known her from the same age – when Ginny was 10. I was thinking – ewwww, he’s in love with his sister. (By the way – don’t go all shipping war on me here. I’m not a Harry/Hermione person either – this is just how I felt. It doesn’t mean I’m right, it doesn’t mean I’m wrong either. You don’t have to agree with me, I respect that fact that many do disagree.)

Posted by sl on December 16, 2008, 07:53 PM report to moderator

"If all goes well, you will be able to save more than one innocent life tonight. But remember this, both of you: [i]you must not be seen.[/i] Miss Granger, you know the law -- you know what is at stake.... [i]You -- must -- not -- be -- seen."