RoundUp of HBP Set Reports Previews: More on Harry and the Waitress, Quidditch

HBP Film
December 16, 2008, 12:28 PM

In addition to the Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince Set Report preview posted by TLC and other Potter fan sites, a few more have now appeared online that give some additional quotes and insights of the sixth Harry Potter film. Of interest is more on a scene that was widely reported on several months ago, regarding Harry Potter flirting with a waitress. Rotten Tomatoes reports on this, noting this creative new addition to the plot came from the mind of screenwriter Steven Kloves. Director David Yates elaborates:

"Steve came up with this notion that, after Order of the Phoenix, Harry's in this quite intense, dark place and he's riding the trains to free his brain a wee bit and he meets this really attractive waitress who he really likes," he told us. "You immediately set up the notion that suddenly these characters are a bit more aware of the opposite sex. I thought it was a really charming, lovely idea."

Sci-Fi Wire also posted their preview that contains new information about Ron Weasley (Rupert Grint) and Quidditch. Quotage: We also observed the filming of a scene in the Great Hall, which is filled with Hogwarts students at breakfast (big platters of sausages, racks of toast). It's the day of Ron's (Rupert Grint) big Quidditch match, and he's nervous as heck. Ron enters the hall, kitted out in full Quidditch gear.

Students call out encouragement: "Good luck, eh, Ron?" "Countin' on you, Ron!" "I've got two galleons on Gryffindor!"

The camera, on a crane, tracks Ron as he walks into the hall and down the central aisle. He encounters a towering student; they stop, do that left-right dance. Ron edges around him, then emits a big sigh. Not happy.

The article also goes on to have more from actor Dan Radcliffe on the developing romance between his character of Harry Potter and Ginny Weasley, played by Bonnie Wright. "Yes, I've got everything with Ginny, which ... has been fun. It's good, fun scenes, and hopefully that'll come across on screen," he says. He adds: "It's slightly odd, though, with Bonnie, because when Katie [Leung] came in to play Cho on the fourth film, it was very much the case when she came in, we always knew she was going to be as a love interest. Whereas, of course, when I first met Bonnie, she was just another character; she was, I think, 9-10 years old when I first met her, and so it's very strange. I've sort of grown up with Bonnie, and now suddenly having to play love interest scenes is very--it's kind of odd."

Thanks much Joe for emailing!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent HBP Film News

James

Sounds interesting. When you said waitress scene, my mind went to the one in DH. Dunno about the flirting though, Harry seems a bit innocent in that respect.

Posted by James on December 16, 2008, 12:43 PM report to moderator
Jim

I’m usually fine with new scenes in the films but this one is pointless – no suprise it was Kloves idea.

Posted by Jim on December 16, 2008, 01:24 PM report to moderator
liv

hmm… i dunno about harry flirting with a waitress scene, but i am excited about the h/g scenes and the ones concerning ron ;-)

Posted by liv on December 16, 2008, 01:26 PM report to moderator
porpy1

Hmmm, I guess I don’t get it – no Dumbledore Funeral, no duel at Hogwarts, but we get Potter “suddenly aware of the opposite sex”. This is the kind of irrevelent “ideas” this creative team comes up with? I know the film looks good in the trailer, but they always put the best in the trailer. The rest of the film will be decided in July 09. Man, I hope it’s not like OotP, all flash and no substance.

Posted by porpy1 on December 16, 2008, 01:29 PM report to moderator
KB Prez

“You immediately set up the notion that suddenly these characters are a bit more aware of the opposite sex.”

Have they forgotten about Cho Chang??

Posted by KB Prez on December 16, 2008, 01:36 PM report to moderator
taylor

eh, idk about this waitress thing. im wondering how it will turn out. like, will it be entirely random or will it take about 5 minutes of screen time? overall, id prefer that 5 or so minutes for the waitress be used as time for harry to start to notice GINNY, who kind of actually becomes his wife. ya know?

Posted by taylor on December 16, 2008, 01:47 PM report to moderator
hambro

Steve obviously has no idea about love interests, suddenly and waitress is inserted to immediately set up the notation that suddenly these characters are a bit more aware of the opposite sex. Suddenly- I would prefer the cut scenes to be put on and Harry eyes ginny instead of waitress but it’s aninteresting idea. I hope it doesn’t turn out all… you know. It will be either really good or really bad. Or somehwere imbetween actually. I like the before quidditch breakfast scene, sounds interesting too and I agree about the The rest of the film will be decided in July 09. Man, I hope it’s not like OotP, “all flash and no substance.”

Posted by hambro on December 16, 2008, 01:59 PM report to moderator
Liz M

I don’t mind the idea of Harry riding the trains to clear his mind, that’s wuite a nice touch, but flirting with a waitress – Harry doesn’t flirt. I don’t think he really knows how to, and he’s not the flirting type anyway. But then maybe we’re getting the wrong idea from the word. I mean, when we first heart about the broom flight down the Thaemes in OotP the article described it as a ‘James Bond style broom chase’, which gave completely the wrong impression.

Posted by Liz M on December 16, 2008, 02:00 PM report to moderator
Zivlok

I’m actually totally fine with the new waitress scene. I mean, the actual bit about flirting I can take or leave (I mean, we did already see plenty of romance and UST in OotP, however, on the other hand, maybe it’ll serve as a way of showing that Harry’s gotten over Cho. There’s some great passages about that in the book, but it’s mostly thought, so this is a way of showing that on screen), but the part I really like is Harry just riding the rails, going nowhere, going nowhere. He’ll hide his head and drown his sorrow. No tomorrow.

Woops. Anywho, I really like the image of Harry riding the muggle transit, just in a funk, with no particular destination. That’s the sort of brooding I wanted to see in OotP.

Of course, I would much rather see canon stuff like the battle and funeral any day, but I’ve pretty much come to terms now with the fact that the movies are not much more than just Jo-sanctioned fanfiction with incredibly high production values.

Posted by Zivlok on December 16, 2008, 02:03 PM report to moderator
Zivlok

@Liz M:
ZOMG. Best idea EVAR. Harry could TOTALLY be Double o 7! I mean, the numbers fit and everything! Now I sort of wish Jo had relinquished more power to WB in terms of spin-offs, because then my new life goal would be to shadily become Pres of WB and start making HP/James Bond cross-overs. And there would unicycling dragons.

Posted by Zivlok on December 16, 2008, 02:06 PM report to moderator
Mora

I really like the idea,Harry is one teenager after all and he deserves a bit of fun….he has a terrible life and he is one excellent person,that scene is fresh air for him,i think

Posted by Mora on December 16, 2008, 02:14 PM report to moderator
Hermionewannabe

hahahah “is very – it’s kind of odd.”<33333 it

Posted by Hermionewannabe on December 16, 2008, 02:22 PM report to moderator
Tannim

Completely pointless scene, especially considering all the things that were cut. We get Harry and a waitress instead of Dumbledore’s funeral? Ridiculous…

Posted by Tannim on December 16, 2008, 02:39 PM report to moderator
emmys

I was hoping this movie wouldn’t be as crappy compared to the book as OOTP was, but it sure sounds like it will be.

Posted by emmys on December 16, 2008, 02:56 PM report to moderator
Angie

OMG!! Great teasers, this is not fair I just want to see the movie and we still have to wait 7 looooong months, I officially am a Jessie Cave fan, she sounds so lovely and funny.

Posted by Angie on December 16, 2008, 02:58 PM report to moderator

"Well, hello, Peter," said Lupin pleasantly, as though rats frequently erupted into old school friends around him. "Long time, no see."