Heyman to Kloves on Deathly Hallows: "times I think we could have done three movies"

DH Film
December 11, 2008, 08:19 AM

IESB.net has a new interview with David Heyman, producer of the Harry Potter films. David Heyman spoke about the decision to split the film of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows into two movies and also mentioned recently speaking to screenwriter Steven Kloves about the wealth of material contained in the final Harry Potter book. Quotage:

ESB: I have to ask the obligitory Harry Potter questions, is it a good thing they split up the upcoming films?

Heyman: Yes, I didn't want to do it initially. I was like, "This is crazy." And then the decision rested ultimately with the filmmakers. The studio said you do whatever you think is right and initially I was like, "This is crazy!" And then I started going through the book and the thought of doing it in one film is insane. This is the story where so much is resolved. In previous films we've been able to remove certain things that didn't relate to Harry, we took Harry's journey. And in this one it was nothing, I mean, it was so much harder to remove things. The think we could have removed would have been the Deathly Hallows, but the book is called The Deathly Hallows and that would have been slightly problematic. And so we made the decision and I was speaking with Steve the other day, Clovis [sic] the writer, and he says, "you know there are times I think we could have done three movies..." There is so much material and it's such great material that now I feel very positive about the two film approach.

IESB: Do you think it's the end for the Harry Potter franchise and characters on the big screen after the last book?

Heyman: I would not be involved in a film based on Jo's characters without Jo's stories, so my sense is yes, unless Jo magically writes something else Harry Potter that is not a Harry Potter tale, not Tale of Beetle the Bard or the books on Quidiche [sic], if she wrote something like that maybe but I am not sure she has any plans to do so.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Redbeard

I don’t think they actually would have cut the hallows even if they weren’t the title, Heyman’s just saying it as it is, when I looked at it I came to the same conclusion.

And people, I know it’s allowed to daydream, but please stop going on about a potter tv-series. It wouldn’t work for so many reasons.

1 the first season would be like five times shorter then the fifth.
2 there would be a much smaller budget, so say goodbye to the beautiful castle, exciting quidditch matches, noseless voldemort and (yes) dobby.
3 every castmember in the movies is top notch, the cream of the crop of the british acting-guild. Who wants to see underpayed american actors take a shot at playing the parts of britains finest wizards and wizards? not me.
4 honestly, what do you think are the chances that they’ll find another trio of actors that the mass will embrace an that will grow so beautiful in there roles as Dan, Rupert and Emma, without becoming spoiled junkies like Lindsey Lohan? The odds are a billion to one if you ask me.

So.. a big no-no on that idea! I think it’s time that people start to appreciate what we have. we have got a billion dollar filmseries, with THE best people working on it day and night. I think it’s a bit ungreatfull to still be unsettisfied.By the way, caracticus, I totally agree with you on Dobby.

Posted by Redbeard on December 11, 2008, 05:23 PM report to moderator
Carebie

I would totally be addicted to a HP TV series (hides face as my husband asks if I am crazy) not yet but on down the road totally would go crazy for it.

Posted by Carebie on December 11, 2008, 05:55 PM report to moderator
Hannah

“The fact that they considered removing the deathly hallows from the Deathly Hallows movie is mind-boggling to me.

Posted by KB Prez on December 11, 2008, 12:12 PM"

Me too! I’m in shock!

Posted by Hannah on December 11, 2008, 05:56 PM report to moderator
Carebie

It could totally be (and would have to be) a British TV series, (please WB) and it could be longer then 7 seasons, because some books are longer then others, they could beef up the 1st two seasons with extra things, just think an entire episode in season two of Valentines day with the Dwarf Cupid that tackles Harry and sings! Totally would love that.

And eventually (like in 50 years) BBC will remake the movies for TV and they would be good and different. I love me some BBC and PBS (Public Broadcasting that shows a lot of British shows)

Eventually it could be done!

Posted by Carebie on December 11, 2008, 06:06 PM report to moderator
R

sigh… never mind me

Posted by R on December 11, 2008, 06:11 PM report to moderator
Redbeard

above message is brought to you by.. Redbeard ;)

Posted by Redbeard on December 11, 2008, 06:12 PM report to moderator
HRWGHP

who said it would be an american tv show, i would be perfectly happy to let britain do it and they can air it on BBC America

and I think CGI would be great for the tv series

Posted by HRWGHP on December 11, 2008, 07:19 PM report to moderator
Confederate Lady

You go, Redbeard! 100% I agree about nixing any kind of TV Series [British OR American, may I add] I especially like reason #4. They will NEVER find 3 kids, who will compare to the trio of Dan, Rupert and Emma!

Posted by Confederate Lady on December 11, 2008, 10:00 PM report to moderator
burningpumpkins

Yah, they can finally find a trio of actors who CAN act, do LOOK like the part (ie. Harry has black hair, Ron is tall and gangly, Hermione is brown & bushy haired), and focus a lot on their relationships. I just don’t feel all cute and fuzzy when I see the trio on screen. I feel like Harry and Hermione get all the friendship, and unintentional H/Hr stuff (DAMN YOU KLOVES!), and they just enjoy making fun of Ron. Which is sad.

JKR’s characters have so much depth, and it’s all been wasted away because of film marketing. They want to sell humor, awesome Dragon effects, cutesy teen-movie drama, and they’ve deleted the real magic. Yes, there is no “magic” in the films. There are so many mistakes in terms of Wizard vs. Muggle world, magic physics (How can Dumbledore perform magic with a finger?), lack of anti-Muggle racism (How long has it been since ‘mudblood’? Is the story even about racism anymore? All Voldemort wants to do is kill Harry, there isn’t any Wizarding history involved. There is no cause and effect), hell, there isn’t even the sense of a real school. They barely have robes, they just don Abercrombie & Fitch, then later sell it on Ebay. And don’t even get me started on the Californication on the Trio. What the hell is up with making them all plastic-looking? Hermione doesn’t need to be gorgeous all the time. Let us fall in love with a plain Jane, and bookish, bossy, know-it-all who is kind, but also kind of annoying.

I’ve got a lot of rage in me. Steve Kloves and David Heyman — don’t pretend you care about the series the way we do.

Posted by burningpumpkins on December 12, 2008, 06:17 AM report to moderator
Miriam

I love the idea of the 2 film split. I really do not think they could have fitted all that happens into just one film. There is such a wealth of material in the final book that it’ll have some spectacular sequences when it ends up on screen. I’m fairly certain that I’ll end up losing a pint of water from crying so much when watching the last films. Can’t wait.

Also, David Heyman always seems such a lovely soft spoken sort of chap. He’s adorable.

Posted by Miriam on December 12, 2008, 07:16 AM report to moderator
[EL.net] David

No, I can see why they’d cut the Deathly Hallows. From the point of view of making a well-structured, impactful and focused film it would make sense. Just that from the point of view of Harry’s and Dumbledore’s characterisations in the book, to do so would cut out some of the soul of the books. That choice is an important one for Harry and sets him apart.

Posted by [EL.net] David on December 12, 2008, 08:10 AM report to moderator
severus

Please, make tv-series of the Harry Potter books. I am very glad that you have made and make the movies, but it is so much that disaper from the books.

Posted by severus on December 12, 2008, 09:55 AM report to moderator
Arithmancer

Yeah, it’s funny how the hallows seem like the most removable subplot from a book that’s named after them! But, on rereading, I decided that the central drama of the book is Harry’s struggle to choose between Hallows and Horcruxes, which is also a choice between choosing to reject or trust Dumbeldore’s plan for him. This is why I think the films should be split at Shell Cottage, with Part 1 ending just as Harry finally makes the choice to trust Dumbledore’s plan and go after the Horcruxes.

One note for Leaky: The headline should say “Kloves to Heynman,” not “Heyman to Kloves.” Heyman is quoting Kloves when he says the bit about three films.

Posted by Arithmancer on December 13, 2008, 12:26 PM report to moderator
ibelieveinnargles

how the hell did they even consider cutting the deathly hallows !!!???

Posted by ibelieveinnargles on December 13, 2008, 12:50 PM report to moderator
Julia

Two movies. WOW…..Keeps the magic going on for some more time….. And WHAT is this rubbish about removing the Deathly Hallows? It is the foundation of the whole book!!!!! Make 4 movies if you want but do not cut it out!

Posted by Julia on December 15, 2008, 07:14 PM report to moderator

With a roar of rage, Black started toward Snape, but Snape pointed his wand straight between Black's eyes.[br]"Give me a reason," he whispered. "Give me a reason to do it, and I swear I will."

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014