Heyman to Kloves on Deathly Hallows: "times I think we could have done three movies"

DH Film
December 11, 2008, 08:19 AM

IESB.net has a new interview with David Heyman, producer of the Harry Potter films. David Heyman spoke about the decision to split the film of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows into two movies and also mentioned recently speaking to screenwriter Steven Kloves about the wealth of material contained in the final Harry Potter book. Quotage:

ESB: I have to ask the obligitory Harry Potter questions, is it a good thing they split up the upcoming films?

Heyman: Yes, I didn't want to do it initially. I was like, "This is crazy." And then the decision rested ultimately with the filmmakers. The studio said you do whatever you think is right and initially I was like, "This is crazy!" And then I started going through the book and the thought of doing it in one film is insane. This is the story where so much is resolved. In previous films we've been able to remove certain things that didn't relate to Harry, we took Harry's journey. And in this one it was nothing, I mean, it was so much harder to remove things. The think we could have removed would have been the Deathly Hallows, but the book is called The Deathly Hallows and that would have been slightly problematic. And so we made the decision and I was speaking with Steve the other day, Clovis [sic] the writer, and he says, "you know there are times I think we could have done three movies..." There is so much material and it's such great material that now I feel very positive about the two film approach.

IESB: Do you think it's the end for the Harry Potter franchise and characters on the big screen after the last book?

Heyman: I would not be involved in a film based on Jo's characters without Jo's stories, so my sense is yes, unless Jo magically writes something else Harry Potter that is not a Harry Potter tale, not Tale of Beetle the Bard or the books on Quidiche [sic], if she wrote something like that maybe but I am not sure she has any plans to do so.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Nicole

Ok, 3 would be ALOT…. but i suppose theres 2 ways to it ….. 1) 3 IS ALOT 2) means we can watch more and more of HARRY POTTER :-) I dont mind really, wat ever is best

Posted by Nicole on December 11, 2008, 12:42 PM report to moderator
anon

ah… i have to quit reading comments on this site, they sometimes just get so irritating!

Posted by anon on December 11, 2008, 12:45 PM report to moderator
HRWGHP

They can’t cut Dobby out, who would rescue them from Malfoy Manor?? And they can’t cut out Malfoy Manor either. I think 3 would be great myself. Would love, love, love a TV series. And since kids movies get remade all teh time, I can see this series being remade every 20-30 yrs (for like the rest of eternity :D) for the big screen. I really can.

Posted by HRWGHP on December 11, 2008, 01:04 PM report to moderator
Nicole

Posted by Nicole on December 11, 2008, 01:15 PM report to moderator
KB Prez

HRWGHP, I agree with you about Dobby. But a TV series??? I can see it now, especially if it came out of the Hollywood machine. Harry would be whacked out on drugs in HBP, Ron would be portrayed as a complete idiot, and Hermione’s wardrobe would consist primarily of tank tops and thongs. LOL.

Posted by KB Prez on December 11, 2008, 01:19 PM report to moderator
Lily Potter :)

If they do 3 movies, that would make me the happiess person on the face of the planet !!!

Posted by Lily Potter :) on December 11, 2008, 01:22 PM report to moderator
Ravenclaw from Glenn

I have actually been thinking about how I would like to see the books portrayed on the screen, big screen or small for quite some time. The idea of a live action TV series crossed my mind, but maybe better and more manageable would be to make a CGI TV series. If all the characters are rendered in CGI (maybe with design input from Mary Grand Pre) they could look closer to the book versions. All the side stories and characters could be included (I’m so sad that Kreacher’s “Won’t, won’t, won’t” bit at the Dursleys isn’t going to be in the HBP movie). Umbridge could actually look like a toad, Dudley could be twice as wide as he is tall and Snape could be really, really greasy (though Alan Rickman does a fantastic job). Imagine the Quiddich matches (the world cup!), the Room of Requirement (in it’s various incarnaitons) it could be fantastic. One can always dream!

Posted by Ravenclaw from Glenn on December 11, 2008, 01:46 PM report to moderator
Zivlok

See, this is what is wrong with the movies – they felt like they could have cut out the whole Deathly Hallows bit, if ONLY it wasn’t in the title. Oh, darn.

On another, note, I have long thought that, in at least a decade, an animated television series could be SWEET.

Posted by Zivlok on December 11, 2008, 01:46 PM report to moderator
Caracticus

Dobby doesn’t appear in DH until his death scene: so from the perspective of the DH ‘virgin’ who hasn’t followed the other movies or books, this little thing called “Dobby” will show up in the middle of an emergency, save everybody, and die. It’s Deus Ex Machina BIG TIME here. If they leave it out (the death of a beloved character) it will outrage fans, but they’re going to have to introduce Dobby at the Burrow or something to make us care about him when he reappears later on to kick it.

Posted by Caracticus on December 11, 2008, 02:16 PM report to moderator
Calum  Wilson

ppffh I heard they’re already taking parts out.

Posted by Calum Wilson on December 11, 2008, 02:36 PM report to moderator
kamion

why not thirty-seven movies? there are 37 chapters……
in that way even the grandchildren of Radcliffe, Watson and Grint could play Harry Potter……… Deuuuhhhh!

Posted by kamion on December 11, 2008, 03:42 PM report to moderator
Dany

Ahahaha, funny. Cutting the DH would be the best you could come up with? lol Yet another example of how they are thinking and why the movie adaptations are so weak (and not like I’m not a purist fan or anything, I don’t have problems with/love a bunch of movies that come from books I previously loved, but most HP movies, in my opinion, are kinda sorta maybe like epic fail).

Posted by Dany on December 11, 2008, 03:44 PM report to moderator
jack

he wanted to remove the deathly hallows? this guy is such a a%#"@le, shows you how much he doesn`t understand what the books are about, and explains why the other books have been butchered (this was probably mispelled I`m sorry in advanced) when adapted

Posted by jack on December 11, 2008, 04:11 PM report to moderator
mollywobbles23

I am so happy Jo decided to put the hallows in the title. Good grief.

Anyway, it sounds like they’re not going to cut much the way he’s talking.

Posted by mollywobbles23 on December 11, 2008, 04:19 PM report to moderator
Confederate Lady

@Eyore: “Good Grief. Cut the Deathly Hallows because it isn’t related to Harry?”
I don’t think he meant that “it isn’t related to Harry” I think it got put into bad context. He was discussing the fact that there are things, they had to remove [from the other movies, as well] that “didn’t relate to Harry” and the last statement [about the Deathly Hallows] just got jumbled up. Of course the Deathly Hallows relates to Harry! I am also of the mind that that was probably never actually considered…. I do agree, though, We will never see another movie, from a book, like ‘Gone With The Wind’ because 21st Century people are in too much of a hurry and have too short an attention span! Thus, making it not profitable for the studios. It all comes down to Profit, sometimes. Sad, but true!

Posted by Confederate Lady on December 11, 2008, 05:13 PM report to moderator

Perhaps it was because he was now so busy, what with Quidditch practice three evenings a week on top of all his homework, but Harry could hardly believe it when he realized that he'd already been at Hogwarts two months. The castle felt more like home than