Beedle the Bard, Vampire Slayer

Books
December 10, 2008, 08:43 AM

Beedle the Bard has a new role of late, that of vampire slayer...well of sorts. The USA Today is reporting that The Tales of Beedle the Bard have taken over the number one spot on their Best-Selling book list from the Twilight series by Stephanie Meyer. The popular series about the life and loves of the vampire family the Cullens do remain on the list, as "Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse and Breaking Dawn — will be Nos. 2, 3, 4 and 5 on Thursday."

The article notes:

Rowling's last book, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, was published last year. Her books have not been on the best-seller list since February but have spent 70 weeks at No. 1 on the list since 1999..."It's probably safe to say that they are drawing people into stores," says Meg Smith of the American Booksellers Association, the trade group for independent booksellers, who have had success with Meyer's and Rowling's books.

"It helps the whole publishing industry if any publisher has a big hit," Tingley says. "It was great for us when Harry Potter was out there. We hope (Meyer's success) will be good for everybody, too."

On a related note, TLC Reader Roonwit writes that the Collector's Editions of Beedle have sold out both in the UK, and Canada. Quotage from Amazon UK: "Sold Out! Thanks to the incredible enthusiasm of Harry Potter fans, we have sold out of all copies of The Tales of Beedle the Bard, Collector's Edition available in the United Kingdom. To ensure that we have enough replacement copies (for example, for books damaged during shipping), we will be holding a limited number of copies in reserve. If you missed out on ordering your copy of the Collector's Edition, it is possible that a small number of copies will become available."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Books News

Nurlomum

I completely agree with Danielle. The Twilight series promotes abusive, shallow relationships based on lust and looks. Not to mention stalking and pedophilia and it’s badly written, the plot is almost non-existent and the characterisation is shallow.

I wish the 2 fandoms didn’t fight too, but then I wish the books would be buried away somewhere and not spreading their horrible messages. I’m fine with people sanely liking them, realising they are ‘a guilty pleasure’ and not the best thing since sliced bread but I am worried about those who see the messages portrayed as romantic and are searching for their Edward.

Posted by Nurlomum on December 11, 2008, 05:28 AM report to moderator
P

yes! finally she regains her throne!

Posted by P on December 11, 2008, 06:19 AM report to moderator
Chlo

HAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAAHHAHAHA That’s right!!!! VAMPIRE SLAYER!!!!! This really made my days.

Posted by Chlo on December 11, 2008, 08:18 AM report to moderator
livia

I love both Twilight and Harry Potter, but I tend to get a smile on my face when HP gets ahead of Twilight ;-) I just like it more

Posted by livia on December 11, 2008, 08:36 AM report to moderator
Sophie

Oh my g-! xD Sue, I love you! I can’t stop laughing! “Vampire Slayer” xD

Posted by Sophie on December 11, 2008, 08:57 AM report to moderator
Lily

woHO!!! I feel great! I’m really hapi wif it. This proves to evryone out there who think HP phenomenon ended. Who said Twilight is the life after Harry Potter?! NO WAY!!! Harry Potter will never end! Although i like Twilight, I’ve to say harry Potter is always the BEST!

Posted by Lily on December 11, 2008, 10:20 AM report to moderator
pm

I had pre-ordered Beedle the day it became available and finally got it yesterday. I am going to read the stories one a day — stretching out the enjoyment. I had stayed away from spoilers of it before. I am so pleased that it was actually published! As a lover of fairy tale stories, I can already tell these stack up to any fairy tale ever written. Yea, Jo. Thanks for sharing and adding so much more depth to the wizarding world we all here love.

Posted by pm on December 11, 2008, 12:08 PM report to moderator
Laura

I love both Twilight and Harry Potter but I have to say, I think overall Harry Potter will always be the best, it has romance, action, fantasty and adverture. While Twilight is more about the romance, so well done JKR for another fab book!

Posted by Laura on December 11, 2008, 01:12 PM report to moderator
Kate

It’s great that Harry Potter is back up there at the top, but there is absolutely no reason for people to be bashing Stephenie Meyer’s Twilight books. I have been obsessed with both Harry Potter and Twilight and both of them make me a very, very contented reader! :) However, I don’t think they need to be compared; they are what they are and both make a lot of people very happy. It must be soo embarrasing for JK and Stephenie to experience all of the arguments and comparisons. They don’t want to be compared, they just want to write what they want to write and hope that people can enjoy their stories and characters too.

Anyway, what this comment should really have been totally about: CONGRATS JK!! She is such an incredible writer and totally deserves it! :)

Posted by Kate on December 11, 2008, 02:59 PM report to moderator
on twilights side

VAMPIRE SLAYER!! youv got to be kidding me !! i didnt think any one would be able to do this.. but youv actually made me take someone elses side over hp.. LETS GO TWILIGHT, LETS GO!

Posted by on twilights side on December 11, 2008, 03:03 PM report to moderator
on twilights side

you go kate!! at least you have some sense!

Posted by on twilights side on December 11, 2008, 03:05 PM report to moderator
becca

GO “ON TWILIGHTS SIDEYEA!!

Posted by becca on December 11, 2008, 03:09 PM report to moderator
Andy

@ Shlesha: How do you know Vampires don’t sparkle? (no offence intended)

Anyway i’ve enjoyed both series, but HP is still no.1 to me…i grew up with Harry we are basically the same age i relate to him. But i also like Twilight, it’s beautiful and very sweet. Anywho i agree with Jill we need to stop the bashing!

PEACE

Posted by Andy on December 11, 2008, 07:55 PM report to moderator
Rkt

That is really witty one – “Vampire Slayer”!
When Jo’s shortest book that does not involve a continuation of the Potter story, and it still overtakes “Twilight”, that’s something admirable.
Looking forward to more books from JKR!

Posted by Rkt on December 12, 2008, 12:53 AM report to moderator
luciusgal

I am ashamed to see that people are being so cruel towards another author. Stephanie Meyer is talented. I loooove Harry Potter. I like Twilight. I am so happy to see that Jo is back on top of the list. We should be happy that people are excited in reading again. Oh the joy in reading a book. As I live in Utah I know a little about Stephanie Meyers. She went to college out here. She is a very nice person. All she wanted to do was write a story and sell it. She did. People bought it and loved it and look at where she is now. She has some success. She has nowhere near the success as JKR. JKR started out simple and look at where she is now. NOW, we all know that Jo is not at all being vindictive or snide about this. I agree with Jill, I hope that JKR is not ashamed of us. Because the attitude that some are showing is not much better than that of the Malfoy’s. On a side note… I got my copy of the collector’s edition of the Beedle and the Bard…. Absolutely Stunning. Worth every penny. And to such a good cause.

Posted by luciusgal on December 12, 2008, 03:38 AM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

Harry took out his wand, murmered, [i]"Lumos!"[/i] and a tiny light appeared at the end of it, just enough to let them watch the path for signs of spiders.[br]"Good thinking," said Ron. "I'd light mine, too, but you know -- it'd probably blow up or someth