Beedle the Bard, Vampire Slayer

Books
December 10, 2008, 08:43 AM

Beedle the Bard has a new role of late, that of vampire slayer...well of sorts. The USA Today is reporting that The Tales of Beedle the Bard have taken over the number one spot on their Best-Selling book list from the Twilight series by Stephanie Meyer. The popular series about the life and loves of the vampire family the Cullens do remain on the list, as "Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse and Breaking Dawn — will be Nos. 2, 3, 4 and 5 on Thursday."

The article notes:

Rowling's last book, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, was published last year. Her books have not been on the best-seller list since February but have spent 70 weeks at No. 1 on the list since 1999..."It's probably safe to say that they are drawing people into stores," says Meg Smith of the American Booksellers Association, the trade group for independent booksellers, who have had success with Meyer's and Rowling's books.

"It helps the whole publishing industry if any publisher has a big hit," Tingley says. "It was great for us when Harry Potter was out there. We hope (Meyer's success) will be good for everybody, too."

On a related note, TLC Reader Roonwit writes that the Collector's Editions of Beedle have sold out both in the UK, and Canada. Quotage from Amazon UK: "Sold Out! Thanks to the incredible enthusiasm of Harry Potter fans, we have sold out of all copies of The Tales of Beedle the Bard, Collector's Edition available in the United Kingdom. To ensure that we have enough replacement copies (for example, for books damaged during shipping), we will be holding a limited number of copies in reserve. If you missed out on ordering your copy of the Collector's Edition, it is possible that a small number of copies will become available."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Books News

sirius

Yay, JKR back where she should be!! Twilight’s fine but Beedle the Bard’s stories have plots and girls who don’t spend the whole time whining. GO JKR!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by sirius on December 10, 2008, 05:22 PM report to moderator
Christine

Okay, I stopped at the third comment: It’s all Twilight dissing. As a proud member of both fandoms, I feel that I need to say a few things to the haters. A lot of the Twilight fandom is a tribute to the Harry Potter fandom. Fansites, Fanfics, Fanart, Podcasts, and even “Twi-Rock” have sprung up. Why? Because the Twilight Fans are influenced by the successful and thriving Harry Potter Fandom. (Mugglecast listeners? Think: Twilight Source and Imprint) Tori of The Bella Cullen Project says on their website: “I’m DEFINITELY influenced by Wizard Rock bands”. As Harry Potter fans, we should be honored that we influence fans of other series’ too. Twilight fans are at times guilty of the same hating and trust me I post similar comments in reply to them. But let’s save our energy for bigger “enemies”. There are an awful lot of people in the world who hate books in general, who think going to a book conference (for Harry Potter, Twilight, LotR or anything at all) is stupid or lame or weird. You don’t have to like the book, but you don’t have to insult it at any chance either. Let’s be nice. Fandom’s UNITE! : )

Posted by Christine on December 10, 2008, 06:07 PM report to moderator
[EL.net] David

Very well put Christine. That pretty much says it all. I don’t think I even need to add anything.

Posted by [EL.net] David on December 10, 2008, 06:39 PM report to moderator
Ohara

Jill, you just earnt my undying respect.
I love both Twilight and Harry Potter. I prefer Twilight, but thats just me; Vampires fascinate me, and I can relate to it better than I can Harry Potter.
Twilight is no way a childrens series; if the 4th book was made into a film exactly how it is, itd nearly make R, or MA at the least.
Both SM and JKR are brilliant authors. If they didnt deserve to be in the spotlight, they wouldnt be. There wouldnt be a hype over either if they ‘sucked’.

Posted by Ohara on December 10, 2008, 07:08 PM report to moderator
H

Hooray for the vampire slayer! I really enjoyed the tales, and continue to enjoy them. It’s the new J.K. Rowling book, for goodness’ sake, it should be at the top of the list.

Posted by H on December 10, 2008, 07:42 PM report to moderator
Vic

Yeah Beedle beat Twilight—-I can’t stand Twilight I find it poorly writen and the relationship rather disturbingly borderline mysoginistic

Posted by Vic on December 10, 2008, 08:14 PM report to moderator
kerri

Well said Jill! I obsessivly love Twilight! I became a twi-hard fan because of John Noe, actually. Im happy for Jo but seriously, Twilight has a special somthing. If this is how the HP fanbase is going to act, childish, then Im taking myself out. I will always love the Potter series but to bash another Author is NOT what Jo is about. Shame on you…..Love you Rob!!!!

Posted by kerri on December 10, 2008, 09:10 PM report to moderator
Geek Squared 1307

“Beedle the Bard, Vampire Slayer”

The title is hilarious. Congratulations to J. K. Rowling!

I personally did not enjoy “Twilight” (because of the writing and plot) but will not insult the fans of it. I remember that people also insulted Harry Potter, so I will not do the same to others.

Let’s all hope for more books by J. K. Rowling in the near future!

Posted by Geek Squared 1307 on December 10, 2008, 09:12 PM report to moderator
Melissa

ok I’m soo happy that JK Rowling is back on top now but i just read the comment form JIll (first page) that we can’t expect her to be bestseller for ever, we have to let others get their chance as well. I think we Harry Potter fans are in denial and don’t want to let any other books be better then Harry Potter but we have to remind ourselves that Harry Potter is over and Twilight is the new thing so we should kind of let it have its moment. It took me a long time to realise that and it hit me soo hard because I grew up with Harry Potter so its hard to let it go. But we should let others have their moments as well. But I’m extremely blissful because of this news I still LOVE Harry Potter and I’m soo happy that it is still #1, just like in my heart. ♥

Posted by Melissa on December 10, 2008, 09:25 PM report to moderator
Shlesha

I read all 4 twilight books and HATED them. They’re full of no plot and have way too many cliches, mary sues, gary stus, and they’re horribly written. And vampires don’t sparkle. I could go on and on. I’m so happy that JKR got her well deserved spot back.

If you really hate twilight join the twilight sucks forums

twilightsucks.proboards.com

Posted by Shlesha on December 10, 2008, 09:48 PM report to moderator
Dawn

I would just like to say that I am so happy that Jo is back on the best seller list. I would also like to add, however, that I am also a HUGE Stephenie Meyer fan. And I would bet money that JKRowling is a fan of hers as well. I see why people compare the to series because they are both beautifully written. They both give so much to the reader. They both pull you so into the lives of the characters that you forget they aren’t real and you don’t live at Hogwarts or in Forks. These women have done a justice for all of us and they both deserve to be on the best sellers list. We should be greatful to both of them, I know I am. Jo and Stephenie you Rock. Keep ’em coming we beg of you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Dawn on December 10, 2008, 10:45 PM report to moderator
anotherweasley

Yea!!! I’m so happy for JKR! I love Beetle and without fear of spoilers got to enjoy a very nice slow read through. I’m not just happy about JKR being on top of the bestseller list again, but what this means for the charity the book is helping.

And as to bashing Twilight…well I won’t do it, partially because I have not had the time to read it, so it would be baseless and secondly because I’m just not geared that way. LOL But I will say that I am tired of fandom bashing from BOTH SIDES! I actually thought it was great others were getting into another series, until I saw the bashing coming from some of the Twilight fan base. I don’t know who threw the first bad comment in the “fandom wars” way back when, but it truly needs to stop. Why can’t people like/dislike what they want without bashing others likes/dislikes?

Posted by anotherweasley on December 11, 2008, 01:39 AM report to moderator
tgs

I just received my copy of the Beedle of the Bard Special Edition today and am completely in love with it. It is so exquisitely bound and the special edition prints are amazing. Definitely worth the money. As for Beedle slaying the Vampires, I am not surprised (it is Jo after all), yet I found Stephanie Meyers books a delightful change of pace and a nice filler while waiting for Jo to release something new. However, if I were to claim a winner between Potter or the Cullens, it’s Potter by a wand.

Posted by tgs on December 11, 2008, 02:01 AM report to moderator
Zara

I don’t like Twilight, but I’m not going to bash it. I’ll just say that I find it rather amusing to see that a HP companion book has trumped Twilight on the bestseller list. :)

Posted by Zara on December 11, 2008, 02:53 AM report to moderator
MuggleQueen

Yessss I’m so happy about this!! The fact that it took Twilight’s place on the list makes it a hundred times better xD

Posted by MuggleQueen on December 11, 2008, 04:28 AM report to moderator

"Water demon," said Lupin, surveying the grindylow thoughtfully. "We shouldn't have much difficulty with him, not after the kappas. The trick is to break his grip. You notice the abnormally long fingers? Strong, but very brittle."