Beedle the Bard, Vampire Slayer

Books
December 10, 2008, 08:43 AM

Beedle the Bard has a new role of late, that of vampire slayer...well of sorts. The USA Today is reporting that The Tales of Beedle the Bard have taken over the number one spot on their Best-Selling book list from the Twilight series by Stephanie Meyer. The popular series about the life and loves of the vampire family the Cullens do remain on the list, as "Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse and Breaking Dawn — will be Nos. 2, 3, 4 and 5 on Thursday."

The article notes:

Rowling's last book, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, was published last year. Her books have not been on the best-seller list since February but have spent 70 weeks at No. 1 on the list since 1999..."It's probably safe to say that they are drawing people into stores," says Meg Smith of the American Booksellers Association, the trade group for independent booksellers, who have had success with Meyer's and Rowling's books.

"It helps the whole publishing industry if any publisher has a big hit," Tingley says. "It was great for us when Harry Potter was out there. We hope (Meyer's success) will be good for everybody, too."

On a related note, TLC Reader Roonwit writes that the Collector's Editions of Beedle have sold out both in the UK, and Canada. Quotage from Amazon UK: "Sold Out! Thanks to the incredible enthusiasm of Harry Potter fans, we have sold out of all copies of The Tales of Beedle the Bard, Collector's Edition available in the United Kingdom. To ensure that we have enough replacement copies (for example, for books damaged during shipping), we will be holding a limited number of copies in reserve. If you missed out on ordering your copy of the Collector's Edition, it is possible that a small number of copies will become available."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Books News

mollywobble

Joe, I would argue that Twilight was specifically published to ride the coat tails of the HP phenomenon, even if it’s not a fantasy series. HP proved that the young adult market was profitable when many believed it to be dead, which is why over the past few years so many new Young Adult series have hit the market, and it’s why so many publishing companies market their authors as “the next J.K. Rowling.”

So yes, it bothers me that an author, who I find incredibly inept, is being compared to an author who completely transformed the industry. If the Twilight series was well written, had well rounded characters, and a deep plot, then I would open it with open arms. But it doesn’t.

Posted by mollywobble on December 10, 2008, 01:29 PM report to moderator
Major Zeldork

@BD: totally true!!! i’m a HP fan, a Paolini fan, a Zelda fan, a Narnia fan, a tamora pierce fan… and tha’s just haf of it :DDDDDDDDD

Posted by Major Zeldork on December 10, 2008, 01:42 PM report to moderator
Neil

I have never read Twilight, and I don’t think I won’t ever. It just doesn’t appeal to me. Though it did annoy me when Twilight became all smug when HBP was pushed to July <_<

Posted by Neil on December 10, 2008, 02:06 PM report to moderator
Miriam

I think the problem is that hp shouldn’t be compared to a series that is as shallow and regressive as twilight. Twilight does not have the wider appeal that hp does, nor the depth or richness. It is too hormonally driven and promotes boy-worship, this is not encouraging. Also, i doubt the series could introduce so many young readers to books as hp has. Its like comparing macdonalds to gourmet cuisine.

Posted by Miriam on December 10, 2008, 02:08 PM report to moderator
Lazy Kitty

I agree with everybody who thinks that this fan-warring is stupid. I personally like both series and I don’t think Ms. Rowling would want us to hate on other books.

Posted by Lazy Kitty on December 10, 2008, 02:20 PM report to moderator
Lucas Cozort

Oh, thank God. I am so sick of the Twilight hype. The first comment pretty much sums it up: Twilight has hardly no plot and the characters learn nothing. Potter is back on top where it belongs. No, it won’t be there forever, but neither will Twilight. And just for the record: Harry Potter has sold over 400 million copies. Twilight on the other hand….17 million. Even if you just count the first four HP books (cause thats how many there are of Twilight), they have still sold more and will continue to be the best books ever written.

Posted by Lucas Cozort on December 10, 2008, 03:02 PM report to moderator
aime

first of all, i am a die hard HP fan and am actaully glad that JKR is back on top
but ive read twilight, and have to say it is my second fav book seris and you all should stop bashing it and give Meyer some credit because theyre actually really good. maybe if u read them wihotut comparing them to HP you would to.
these books are really different and uncomparable so everyone just stop!

Posted by aime on December 10, 2008, 03:31 PM report to moderator
Miriam

Aime, most people here ARE opposed to the comparison, and for legitimate reasons. The books ARE different, hp having much more to offer and to MANY different people. The same cannot be said about twilight. The influence, demand and overall phenomenon of hp is immeasurable. This cannot be denied. And there is much hostility from twilight fans towards hp than the other way round.

Posted by Miriam on December 10, 2008, 03:43 PM report to moderator
burningpumpkins

snicker
oh shnicker :D

Posted by burningpumpkins on December 10, 2008, 03:44 PM report to moderator
Miriam

Posted by Miriam on December 10, 2008, 03:44 PM report to moderator
adam

pretty pathetic to go aorund saying someything is the new hp and lose your number 1 spot to a spinoff

Posted by adam on December 10, 2008, 03:57 PM report to moderator
Christine

Excuse me while I go bake a cake, throw some confetti into the air, buy some colorful balloons, and laugh in some Twi-tard faces….

Alright, I’m back. xD I’m so proud of Jo. This is where she should always be. And I’m so proud that BtB is at the top! It’s not even apart of the HP series, and it’s the number one bestseller? Take that Stephenie Meyer, you stupid frog! FINALLY, a REAL author who can actually write meaningful sentences is at the top again.

And also, to the people who are planning to read Twilight – don’t. I beg you. Go read the summaries on Wikipedia. I assure you that they make more sense than the book(s)! And when you’ve read all the summaries, laugh to yourself, because the story is ridiculous. There is absolutely NO plot at all. How dare people say that Meyer is the new JKR? That’s an insult to Jo.

Posted by Christine on December 10, 2008, 03:57 PM report to moderator
IndigoMisfit

Congratulations J.K.Rowling! I just finished reading Beedle, strangely (or not) the best parts were the commentaries by Albus Dumbledore (whom I am convinced is J.K.Rowlings alter ego).

And when is this whole Twilight versus Harry Potter nonsense going to stop? Seriously, don’t the fans get tired of fighting? I hate fighting about anything, let alone books. (Maybe thats why I’m a Hufflepuff) Of course you think that the book you are a fan of is better than the others! Your emotionally attached! It’s like arguing that your favorite color is better than all the others.

You can argue all you want about grammar, writing style, character development, blah, blah and blah. You aren’t going to convince the devoted fans you are fighting with that you are right, because they love their books too much to care. So let them love it and go on loving your own favorite books. And stop taking things like the New York Times bestseller list personally! Seriously, unless you are and author (or are friends/family of an author) that made the list (Congratulations Mellisa!) than why on earth should you care who is at number one and number two? Its like those crazy sports fans who think that there smelly “lucky socks” help their team win! Come on! Just sit back and enjoy the game.
Posted by IndigoMisfit on December 10, 2008, 04:17 PM report to moderator
Danielle

Yay! Finally something to shut the Twilight Fans up. I have nothing against people who like Twilight, but it is teaching young girls such horrible morals. ‘Abandon your family to be with your true love’ ‘boyfriends can be possessive if its for true love’ ‘A guy you barely know watching you sleep every night is totally not wrong in any way’ Its horrible. Plus, no offense Smeyer, but stop writing. You kinda stink at it.

Ok sorry to go off on a Twilight rant- YAY JKR!

Posted by Danielle on December 10, 2008, 04:39 PM report to moderator
janspach

Jill – I agree with you!

Posted by janspach on December 10, 2008, 05:21 PM report to moderator

"My inner eye sees past your brave face to the troubled soul within. And I regret to say that your worries are not baseless. I see difficult times ahead for you, alas... most difficult... I fear the thing you dread will indeed come to pass... and perhaps