Beedle the Bard, Vampire Slayer

Books
December 10, 2008, 08:43 AM

Beedle the Bard has a new role of late, that of vampire slayer...well of sorts. The USA Today is reporting that The Tales of Beedle the Bard have taken over the number one spot on their Best-Selling book list from the Twilight series by Stephanie Meyer. The popular series about the life and loves of the vampire family the Cullens do remain on the list, as "Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse and Breaking Dawn — will be Nos. 2, 3, 4 and 5 on Thursday."

The article notes:

Rowling's last book, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, was published last year. Her books have not been on the best-seller list since February but have spent 70 weeks at No. 1 on the list since 1999..."It's probably safe to say that they are drawing people into stores," says Meg Smith of the American Booksellers Association, the trade group for independent booksellers, who have had success with Meyer's and Rowling's books.

"It helps the whole publishing industry if any publisher has a big hit," Tingley says. "It was great for us when Harry Potter was out there. We hope (Meyer's success) will be good for everybody, too."

On a related note, TLC Reader Roonwit writes that the Collector's Editions of Beedle have sold out both in the UK, and Canada. Quotage from Amazon UK: "Sold Out! Thanks to the incredible enthusiasm of Harry Potter fans, we have sold out of all copies of The Tales of Beedle the Bard, Collector's Edition available in the United Kingdom. To ensure that we have enough replacement copies (for example, for books damaged during shipping), we will be holding a limited number of copies in reserve. If you missed out on ordering your copy of the Collector's Edition, it is possible that a small number of copies will become available."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Books News

Mom Weasley

hmm… perhaps it’s because the stories in Beedle are well written, entertaining and have PLOTS? Perhaps it’s about people who learn something? Perhaps it’s because even in this tiny format, the characters in Beedle do more than sigh and wonder if someone likes them?

Posted by Mom Weasley on December 10, 2008, 08:57 AM report to moderator
Debbie

yeah back where she belongs!

Posted by Debbie on December 10, 2008, 09:18 AM report to moderator
Harry Potter PONES twilight

yay!!!!! this pretty much made my day!!! Take that meyer!!!!! Im sorry but I hate twilight. i read the first book and it sucked so i didnt continue. They dont even deserve to be on the top of the list!!!! Go JKR and beedle the bard!!!!

Posted by Harry Potter PONES twilight on December 10, 2008, 09:30 AM report to moderator
Linny

I haven’t read either of them, but I read the first chapter of Twilight and I feel much better about it being Jo at the top again lol.

Posted by Linny on December 10, 2008, 09:34 AM report to moderator
Alake

hi there, yeah take that Smeyer! those books suck so much i can´t believe people compare them to the HP fenomenon. If you want a laugh, read this review of the twilight series. You’ll crack.

Cheers!

Posted by Alake on December 10, 2008, 09:37 AM report to moderator
Shaelyn

i love how one book beat out an entire series . this made my day!! it pissed me off how Twilight just came out of nowhere and stole HP’s thunder. WE ARE STILL THE BEST! and JKR is back where she belongs =)

Posted by Shaelyn on December 10, 2008, 09:39 AM report to moderator
Nimbus-X

HA!

JKR back where she should be!

Posted by Nimbus-X on December 10, 2008, 09:48 AM report to moderator
Leanne

Hooray!!! JKR will always win!! HP is called literature, (unlike the nasty plotless waste of some “series”) and the Beedle the Bard stories are a wonderful addition to that literature!

Posted by Leanne on December 10, 2008, 10:15 AM report to moderator
Tracy

I’m super-excited that Jo is back at the top, but I don’t see any reason to disparage the twilight series. Admittedly, I haven’t read them yet, but I do plan on trying them out. Obviously I think that HP is superior to other books/series; I find it funny that anytime a children’s fantasy book is remotely popular that it is compared to HP, even though there is so much more that characterizes Jo’s writing and stories. However, that’s no reason that we all can’t enjoy other novels and characters! I think loving books is like loving people— just because you care about one doesn’t make you care about another any less!

Posted by Tracy on December 10, 2008, 10:35 AM report to moderator
evan

meh. good for rowling, but i find the beedle stories boring and lackluster, frankly… but it’s absolutely great (!) about the charitable donations being made due to the book’s success.

Posted by evan on December 10, 2008, 10:36 AM report to moderator
mollywobble

Tracy, I wouldn’t call Twilight a “children’s fantasy series” unless you’re referring to romantic fantasy. I think people have a problem with the comparison because Twilight is poorly written.

Anyway, do we know how many copies of Beedle were sold on the first day in the US?

Posted by mollywobble on December 10, 2008, 10:45 AM report to moderator
Lily

I for one love twilight, but please don’t kill me. I do think that J.K.R. should be above the twilight books.

Posted by Lily on December 10, 2008, 11:12 AM report to moderator
Lily

Reply to my above comment since I hit send to early:
YAY J.K.R AND H.P!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Lily on December 10, 2008, 11:13 AM report to moderator
lily_luna

This absolutely made my day! I printed out the page to show all my friends who think HP is disappearing. I don’t read books that need movies to make them famous. GO JKR!!

Posted by lily_luna on December 10, 2008, 11:23 AM report to moderator
Jill

While I am a huge Harry Potter fan, and Thrilled to see JKR back on top, I am a little sick of all of the negativity and rude comments regarding Stephanie Meyer and her books. HP cannot be the number one seller forever, a fact everyone should get used to. But for so many people to say such rude thing about other authors, i find quite disappointing. So what you don’t like the twilight series, fine – say you don’t like it. But to say how much meyers and the series suck is just disrespectful of meyers and of the fans who appreciate her work. You wouldn’t believe the number of people who have told me the HP series sucks, JKR sucks, they are childresns books, etc. I’m not saing don’t express your opinion, but try to be respectful of others. Personally If I were JKR reading this site, the way many people on TLC bash Meyers, as well as others on occasion, I would be ashamed to acknowledge you as being some of my largest fans.

Posted by Jill on December 10, 2008, 11:25 AM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"Yeah, Quirrell was a great teacher," said Harry loudly, "there was just that minor drawback of him having Lord Voldemort sticking out of the back of his head."