Rumor Alert: More on Possible Lego Harry Potter Video Game

Video Games
December 01, 2008, 08:31 AM

Rumor Alert: ComputerandVideogames.com is reporting today that they believe Lego is developing the Harry Potter novels for a video game. With very little information or sources given, the site is saying that Warner will do the publishing of the Lego game, "even though EA has the rights to do the PC and console movie tie-ins. Warner published Lego Batman too, it's worth noting." Additional Quotage:

"First it was Star Wars (the good ones AND the bad ones), then came Indiana Jones followed most recently by Batman. But the next big property to be reborn in little plastic blocks will be Harry Potter, CVG has learn[sic]...We've got no solid details on what form the game will take but an action-adventure type of romp taking its lead from the books (or movies) would be the safe bet. Expect lots of Hogwarts, and big fat Hagrid and a little boy with Lego hair then.

If we had to pin the tail on a release date... Well, there is a new movie out next year (Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince if you need reminding). We've contacted Warner in the UK for comment. More soon."

Please note: The rumor of a possible Lego Harry Potter game has been floating on the net for years and had surfaced again several months ago. Please keep this very much in the rumor category for now. We are working to find out more about this and will update when we can.

Thanks Gavin

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Video Games News

Cian

That would be incredible!

Posted by Cian on December 01, 2008, 08:43 AM report to moderator
Jesse

That would be sooo cool!
Although i doubt that all 7 books would be included on one game, there would be like 3 or for on Lego Harry Potter 1 and then the rest on a Lego Harry Potter 2 game

Posted by Jesse on December 01, 2008, 09:00 AM report to moderator
kanedax

Jesse, I could easily see them fitting all seven books into one game. Both Lego Batman and Lego Star Wars have six “Episodes” on one disc, it’s very conceivable that seven volumes would work, especially with the potential overlap of Hogwarts levels.

It’s a great fit if it’s for real. However, I think Lego’s dropped its licence with HP (no HBP sets announced that I’m aware of), and, as I just stated, SO MUCH of the series takes place at Hogwarts that it would be difficult creating 5 unique levels for each book.

Posted by kanedax on December 01, 2008, 09:19 AM report to moderator
Moody One

This needs to happen! I have every Lego game out! Oh I hope this isn’t a rumor. They’re really fun.

Posted by Moody One on December 01, 2008, 10:06 AM report to moderator
Molly Wiltersen

That would be great!

Posted by Molly Wiltersen on December 01, 2008, 10:16 AM report to moderator
Leif Longbottom

I liked Lego Star Wars but still didn’t get Lego Indiana or Batman; they both looked like the same exact thing.
I’ll probably get this either way but I hope they work on the format a little bit, at least make the gameplay not quite so linear. That would be enough.

Posted by Leif Longbottom on December 01, 2008, 10:34 AM report to moderator
Carebie

I wrote the Lego company after the first StarWars game came out and asked if they were going to do Harry Potter. They didn’t say no, but they didn’t say yes either. They (I can’t remember exactly, I didn’t save their response) said they couldn’t discuss what they had in the works.

Posted by Carebie on December 01, 2008, 12:45 PM report to moderator
The Imp

Expect it to be true, CVG are very reliable when it comes to ‘rumored’ stories, they first announced Halo 3 would have an expanded sequel and that’s now confirmed to be true. The conversion to Lego should complement the series, the guys at Travelers Tales are very clever at implementing a series of films into a very solid game and expect a game with lots of puzzles to solve.

Really looking forward to this.

Posted by The Imp on December 01, 2008, 01:22 PM report to moderator
jonk

I love this idea. I am so sad that there hasn’t been any new Harry Potter LEGO sets in a while. I still eel though that there should be a comic book series, even if its a mini-series on Harry Potter, that would be my true wish.

Posted by jonk on December 01, 2008, 03:12 PM report to moderator
T-Vey

Squeeee!!!
i loved the LEGO Star Wars games so this game sounds awesome! It’s possible that the game could include all 7 books, but i think it is just as likely they could split the games like they did with star wars. (possibly reflecting the films by having the first game contain #1-4 to see Voldemort return, and then have the second contain #5-8) Either way, there is no doubt the games will be incredibly successful! I was surprised this game wasn’t released earlier! A release date would be nice though…

Posted by T-Vey on December 01, 2008, 03:31 PM report to moderator
bella vita

As much as I hope this is true I would much rather we got more actual lego sets instead. It doesn’t seem as if there will be any for HBP and the only set we got for OOTP was a joke. The only OOTP set was yet another Hogwarts castle and the only thing new really was that it had Umbridge and thestrals. It was such a disappointment. Previous sets were great and we had plenty of sets to choose from especially for the first three films. I really miss the HP lego sets. I really don’t get why they seem to no longer be doing lego sets for HP. I can’t be the only person who buys the HP sets so I doubt its because they weren’t selling enough of them. Probably just yet another dumb decision by WB. Still I wouldn’t mind if we get this game, its certainly better than nothing, if in fact this rumor is true this time around.

Posted by bella vita on December 01, 2008, 05:44 PM report to moderator
llol

if they make this im sooo getting it!!!

Posted by llol on December 01, 2008, 05:45 PM report to moderator
Bobby

I really hope this is true, but I doubt they are making it. Traveler’s Tales said in a recent issue of GameInformer that they WOULD NOT be making an HP Lego game. Now, someone else could be making it, but I highly highly doubt that it’s Traveler’sTales, makers of the other games. Also, I totally agree with Bella Vita – MOAR HP LEGO SETZ PLX.

Posted by Bobby on December 01, 2008, 06:36 PM report to moderator
H

I hope they make it based off of the books, but the movies would be cool too. I’m really bad at video games but I’m ok at my brother’s lego Star Wars game. I don’t understand why people don’t like the Star Wars prequels- anyone want to clue me in?

Posted by H on December 01, 2008, 07:33 PM report to moderator
CeNedra

When I first played Lego Indiana Jones, the first thought that came to mind was “OMG they should make a Lego Harry Potter! This would be AWESOME!”

I really hope it gets made based off the books.

Posted by CeNedra on December 02, 2008, 10:17 AM report to moderator

"This, Harry, is the secret of our success," said George, patting the parchment fondly.[br]"It's a wrench, giving it to you," said Fred, "but we decided last night, your need's greater than ours."[br]"Anyway, we know it by heart," said George. "We bequeat