New Video: Dan Radcliffe Talks HBP Delay, Filming Deathly Hallows Epilogue and More (Updated)

DH Film
December 01, 2008, 09:07 PM

E Online has released new video of an interview with actor Dan Radcliffe (Harry Potter), who makes new comments regarding the delay of the release of Half-Blood Prince and more. Of note are Dan's remarks on the upcoming Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows films, where he states again he has not yet read the scripts, but after speaking to someone who has read them, he now has "high hopes" for the film and in particular the ending. On the matter of the epilogue, Dan does specifically discuss the possibility of the trio playing themselves aged by 19 years. Update: We now have this interview for viewing and download here in our galleries.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Professor Potter

I’m confident the Dan, Emma, Bonnie and Rupert will play the older trio effectively in the epilogue. Make up work these days are incredible. The cast of Back to the Future did it well and so did James Dean in Giant and I’m sure there are plenty more of successful examples. The trio are accomplished enough and more importantly, are old enough to play older counterparts of themselves if that makes sense! But the the direction of how they play it is important, must be subtle and not too caricature. I’m sure Yates will guide them well.

Posted by Professor Potter on December 02, 2008, 07:36 AM report to moderator
Confederate Lady

Wonderful interview, albeit short. although the consensus appears to be in favor of “using adult actors” in the epilogue, I disagree. Dan, Emma and Rupert started with these films. They have grown up, with the films, aging as their “characters” have aged. I think, personally, they should be the ones to “end” it. They will bring a sense of relief and of finality, that no one else could. Something, I believe, only someone who has “lived the event” could bring. They CAN do many things with makeup. I agree with Michele: If they can make Brad Pitt look older, certainly they can make ‘Harry’ , ‘Ron’ and ‘Hermione’ and the others, look older. After all….it wouldn’t really be much of a stretch from their real ages, could it? I vote Original Cast!

Posted by Confederate Lady on December 02, 2008, 07:46 AM report to moderator
Thio

Serina,
Is there a hype about seeing the DH trailer on HBP?
Because I was kidding when I suggested that on the first page…

Posted by Thio on December 02, 2008, 08:39 AM report to moderator
Luke Forrester

From purely the standpoint of the actors, it seems a very big kick in the face to have roles they’ve played for 10+ years replaced for the last scene.

Posted by Luke Forrester on December 02, 2008, 09:30 AM report to moderator
sml

You young ‘uns are cracking me up! They will be 20, 21 when they finish the filming, believe me, you don’t look that much different in your late 30s. You may be more tired (especially with 3 kids), but as far as looks – not so much. I’m 42 and don’t even have any grey hair yet, and just a few “smile” wrinkles (why am I on a Harry Potter site you may ask? Well, like most of my peers, I love the books. My son does too, and I just couldn’t let these misinformed posts go by without commenting). In my 30’s, I didn’t look “WAY old” (as someone previously posted) at all. I do remember being in my teens and thinking that 30 was so old and mature, believe me – it’s not unless you want it that way. My nephews are 20 and 22 now, and they look like adults. I can guarantee they won’t look too different in 15 years.

About the polyjuice scenes – I agree with the other posters – I think they can and will find a way around that. Especially for the Godric’s Hollow scenes.

Posted by sml on December 02, 2008, 10:13 AM report to moderator
Scully

I was fine with The Epilogue in the book – but I really don’t want it filmed. It makes me shudder to think how cheesy Kloves script for it will be – even with Yates trying to contain him!

Posted by Scully on December 02, 2008, 10:16 AM report to moderator
steve

well listen. remove looks from the equation, because i’m 29, going on 30, and still get carded. people in their 30s don’t necessarily look much different than they did in their 20s.

but having kids. that’s another story, and it really makes you a lot more mature than you could ever imagine before having kids.

the actors that play james and lilly, for instance, are what i’d expect to see from old harry and the gang. not radcliffe.

Posted by steve on December 02, 2008, 10:20 AM report to moderator
Buffy

I think the epiloge will just be re-written. I personally don’t think it HAS to be 19 years later at Platform 9 3/4. The point is to show that Harry got what he wanted, a big happy family. I would love to see it as a morning in the Potter house, with Ron/Hermoine just dropping by as Harry & Ginny rush to get ready for work and get the kids ready for school (because I assume that Harry sent his kids to muggle school before Hogwarts.) That is a lovely scene that I have played in my head, probably because I do it every morning and hate it. But that would be something that Harry would be so glad to have — a normal life.

Posted by Buffy on December 02, 2008, 10:20 AM report to moderator
Joanna

I actually don’t want the epilogue in the film, simply because I want it to end on the trio as we first met them. I didn’t like the epilogue in the book much, not enough information in the interveneing years and to me it felt rushed, so I hope the film makes up for what 9this otherwise brilliant) ending lacks.

Posted by Joanna on December 02, 2008, 10:25 AM report to moderator
radcakesfan

Absolutely No to having other actors portraying the older versions! As someone said above, you don’t look that much different in your 30’s or even 40’s anymore. Guys have the biggest change usually because they go bald but that can happen in your 20’s and people get fat and out of shape. But look at ie Charlie Sheen and Brooke Shields. Just throw some grey in and maybe have the guys have more facial hair and the girls a shorter hairstyle. Dan and the others will have no problems, especially since half the time people think Dan looks older already. And no to polyjuice scenes. I wanna see the Dan and Emma, not nobodies!

Posted by radcakesfan on December 02, 2008, 10:29 AM report to moderator
drummersgirl

I agree with sml, I’m 41 years old and have been told by several people that I don’t look much older than 25 or 30. People age differently nowdays. Emma and Bonnie look much older than what they are when they are at the premieres with makeup on and Dan and Rupert both look older with the facial hairs they have been sporting lately. I don’t see it as a long stretch at all.

Posted by drummersgirl on December 02, 2008, 10:29 AM report to moderator
Kiwi Mc I

ohh exciting stuff the wheels are in motion for DH and we still haven’t seen HBP. It has to be those 3. It’ll really show the scope of the series that we’ve watched these 3 kids way back in 2001 grow up. It has to be them. I’d like to see the Epilogue after the credits. That way if it wasn’t your cup of tea you can always just switch off

Posted by Kiwi Mc I on December 02, 2008, 10:36 AM report to moderator
xeno

Am I barmy? DR is getting more and more like Harry Enfield! I wonder if they are related.

Posted by xeno on December 02, 2008, 11:04 AM report to moderator
Jim

I do hope they keep the same actors for the epilogue. I’m sure they’ll adapt polyjuice scenes to allow that as well, except for Godrics Hollow. The polyjuice is sure to be used there, with different actors.

Posted by Jim on December 02, 2008, 11:26 AM report to moderator
Jennifer

I hope Dan, Rupert, Emma, Bonnie and Tom are in the epilogue. The entire series will be ruined if they aren’t. You can’t use the same actors for 10 years then in the last 5 minutes of the series, throw someone else into their roles. Come freakin’ on.

Posted by Jennifer on December 02, 2008, 12:26 PM report to moderator

"Honest, Harry, they're brains -- look -- [i]Accio Brain!"[/i][br]The scene seemed momentarily frozen. Harry, Ginny, and Neville and each of the Death Eaters turned in spite of themselves to watch the top of the tank as a brain burst from the green liquid

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014