New Video: Dan Radcliffe Talks HBP Delay, Filming Deathly Hallows Epilogue and More (Updated)

DH Film
December 01, 2008, 09:07 PM

E Online has released new video of an interview with actor Dan Radcliffe (Harry Potter), who makes new comments regarding the delay of the release of Half-Blood Prince and more. Of note are Dan's remarks on the upcoming Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows films, where he states again he has not yet read the scripts, but after speaking to someone who has read them, he now has "high hopes" for the film and in particular the ending. On the matter of the epilogue, Dan does specifically discuss the possibility of the trio playing themselves aged by 19 years. Update: We now have this interview for viewing and download here in our galleries.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

dcrazmo

Jain:
So much of “Dealthy Hallows” has the main characters on Polyjuice Potion, not only at Godric’s Hollow, but at the Ministry. I don’t think the film makers have any choice but to use other actors and dub in the lead actors voices.

Posted by dcrazmo on December 02, 2008, 12:32 AM report to moderator
DUYEN

GOSH NO!

i do not want to see any other actors in the epilouge except dan,rupert and emma

Posted by DUYEN on December 02, 2008, 01:14 AM report to moderator
Gordy

I could see the film makers leaving out the polyjuice . Especially at Godrics Hollow, they can find a way to write around it. That maybe more tricky for the MoM scene though.

As for the epilogue, If they don’t use the trio bonnie and tom, they should leave it out.

Posted by Gordy on December 02, 2008, 01:31 AM report to moderator
tiddlywinks

some people act like the main actors will need to look so old in the epilogue. I happen to be 19 years out of high school. It’s not that different. A few gray hairs that get dyed regularly, some shallow wrinkles and that’s it. It’s not like they need to look as old as Lupin.

Posted by tiddlywinks on December 02, 2008, 01:52 AM report to moderator
i have a name

i think that having a 20 year old playing some one in there mid thirties is a pretty silly idea (as a concept). i mean really think about it for a sec. if they try and make dan, emma and rupert come across as parents it will likely not come across as believable. their children will look more there brothers or sisters. remember 20 isn’t that old.

and yes i see were everyone is coming from with the point about make up, but really its that and the performance that really matters. they’ve never really played anyone at that age level. but i guess that could be seen as a challange for them as actors.

but as a positive the trio still have time to mature untill they start shooting for dh, most likely they will leave the epilogue scene to last, so thats a heap of time. but if the make up department and that actors can pull it off then im all for it, we’ll just have to wait and see.

really what it will come down to is a decision to what the director feels will be most effective in delivering a realisitc scene. i personally feel they should use different actors, but im still optimistic about the idea, so please don’t completly badger my comment.

Posted by i have a name on December 02, 2008, 02:12 AM report to moderator
sarah

I really really want Dan, Emma, Rupert, Bonnie & especially Tom to play their older selves because we’ve just grown up watching them and how they interact and I feel that if they used different actors, that will all just be lost. Especially the exchange between Harry and Draco, I want that to be between Dan and Tom. If they can actually pull it off? I dunno but I will seriously cry if they don’t stick with the original cast.

Posted by sarah on December 02, 2008, 02:17 AM report to moderator
HPFanatic

getting people to look WAY old is easy…just add the white hair, the sunken eyes, the wrinkles, the posture, glasses, old people’s clothes etc. But getting a 20 year old to look 30….well thats kind of tough cause at 30 you look much the same except you have a different hair style or manner of dressing yourself or talking a little more maturely(or not) etc. the make up department can do very little with this situation I’m afraid. It’ll be mostly up to the actors to bring out their older/wiser/settled down selves…which I’m sure they’ll do just fine. I think they should really just portray themselves. Its not like you really grow that much after your 20s…

Posted by HPFanatic on December 02, 2008, 02:42 AM report to moderator
blaney

I have a feeling that the epilogue is going to end up on the cutting room floor. Maybe an extra on the DVD when it comes out. And, if Dan hasn’t even seen the script yet for DH, there is no way that they are going to have a trailer on HBP. They haven’t even started filming it yet. I did appreciate the comment Dan made about the writer’s strike affected next years movies. That makes me feel a little better than the rumor about not wanting to compete with that vampire movie.

Posted by blaney on December 02, 2008, 03:11 AM report to moderator
David L.

“No problem with the epilogue… when they get done filming, they’ll BE their older versions! The problem may be more in keeping them young enough for the earlier scenes!”

lol that’s not really true! haha
Dan, Emma and Bonnie will be still quite young. Tom and Rupert will be a little older but still not the age their character are supposed to be in the epilogue.
I think they should play their characters in the epilogue, but only if the makeup department do a really fantastic job so it won’t look fake.
If the movie makers don’t manage that, then it’s better they don’t even include the epilogue. they could film that when all the actors are in their 30s and include it in an especial DVDs collection released in 10years time!

Btw, last night I watched Dan’s interview in the Inside the Actor’s Studio, it was a such a fantastic interview! He is great, what a wonderful sense of humor he has, I hope I can go to see Equus soon because all I’ve heard are good reviews.

Posted by David L. on December 02, 2008, 04:46 AM report to moderator
Bandersnatch

I know how they’ll handle the Epilogue. Several months before HP7 3/4 is due to hit the screens, WB will suddenly say that they need to postpone the movie… for about 19 years. There you are, problem solved.

Posted by Bandersnatch on December 02, 2008, 05:24 AM report to moderator
aliemo

Honestly, i DON’T want them to include a lot of polyjuice scenes, it sounds fine in the book, but in the movie it’ll look ridiculous. Some of the polyjuice scene can be easily avoided, but some cant such as the Ministry of Magic scene so they’d better find a way to make it look fine.

Posted by aliemo on December 02, 2008, 05:50 AM report to moderator
aliemo

Posted by aliemo on December 02, 2008, 05:50 AM report to moderator
Serina

We so WONT be seeing a teaser trailer in front of HBP for DH…
but the hype surrounding it already is cool!

Posted by Serina on December 02, 2008, 05:54 AM report to moderator
Albert

I think they should get 38 year olds to do the end, because they would have to age Dan, Emma and Rupert 19 years 3 months and a few days. Year my maths stinks to put them at the right age of when they arrive at Kings Cross. Plus we don’t want to wait for them to grow a few years older to make it look like they are thirty. Have other actors do them at 38 and at the end of the movie have Dan Emma and Rupert in the final shot before the Credits.

If They do do the Dan Emma and Rupert 38 years older and they cut it because it didn’t work, I want to actually see what it was like because that would be funny.

Posted by Albert on December 02, 2008, 06:02 AM report to moderator
Ariel

It’s going to be tricky to do, but from what I can see, most people think the original cast should do it. I don’t think that is a problem, nothing some different hairstyles, clothes or makeup wouldn’t fix. But mainly, I think it’s how they will compare next to the actors they will cast to play the next generation. The original cast will actually have to look like parents, and not, say, siblings.

Posted by Ariel on December 02, 2008, 07:18 AM report to moderator

"Godfather?" sputtered Uncle Vernon. "You haven't got a godfather!"[br]"Yes, I have," said Harry brightly. "He was my mum and dad's best friend. He's a convicted murderer, but he's broken out of wizard prison and he's on the run. He likes to keep in touch