New Video: Dan Radcliffe Talks HBP Delay, Filming Deathly Hallows Epilogue and More (Updated)

DH Film
December 01, 2008, 09:07 PM

E Online has released new video of an interview with actor Dan Radcliffe (Harry Potter), who makes new comments regarding the delay of the release of Half-Blood Prince and more. Of note are Dan's remarks on the upcoming Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows films, where he states again he has not yet read the scripts, but after speaking to someone who has read them, he now has "high hopes" for the film and in particular the ending. On the matter of the epilogue, Dan does specifically discuss the possibility of the trio playing themselves aged by 19 years. Update: We now have this interview for viewing and download here in our galleries.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Mollywobbles

No problem with the epilogue… when they get done filming, they’ll BE their older versions! The problem may be more in keeping them young enough for the earlier scenes!

Posted by Mollywobbles on December 01, 2008, 10:25 PM report to moderator
Tim

NOO. Please, Warner Brothers, do me a favor and keep Dan, Rupert, and Emma for the epilogue!
It may seem weird, but in my mind… its the LAST HARRY POTTER IN THE SERIES AS WE KNOW IT TODAY. I dunno, but introducing completely different people for the last few minutes would totally turn me off.
I mean, come on! It’s Dan, Rupert, and Emma. In many peoples minds, they are Harry, Ron, and Hermione, and seeing other actors in their roles would feel extra creepy. And like I said, its the last thing we see, and personally, I’d rather see the same trio I’ve been watching for the prior movies than other actors.

Posted by Tim on December 01, 2008, 10:27 PM report to moderator
Billy

I think it’s very possible the trio will be able to portray themselves 19 years later. Makeup is pretty advanced these days, and along with a little adult hair styling they could be good to go. Also, they don’t necessarily need to state in big bold letters ‘19 Years Later’ in the film, so with the introduction of their children at King’s Cross it could just be implied that it is some years later.

Posted by Billy on December 01, 2008, 10:30 PM report to moderator
T-Vey

Personally, i completely disagree with the people who did not like the epilogue. This scene is soooo important because the one thing Harry wanted most in his life was to have his own family! We see that in the first book, when Harry looks into the Mirror of Erised, (one of the most powerful scenes in the entire series!!) that this is his greatest desire. This is what the whole series was leading up to!!! Harry spent nearly the first 17 years of his life on the verge of death and other dangers. And now we see that Harry finally has that chance to settle down and have the chance to become a good parent. And to know that after nineteen years all is well. I don’t care how this is portrayed in the films, but I do believe that it is very vital to the overall plot of the series!

Posted by T-Vey on December 01, 2008, 10:31 PM report to moderator
Beth A

They’ll have to keep the same actors. They could NOT end this 8-film ride with other actors saying the final lines. They just wouldnt do it. I wonder, tho, if it might not be a bad idea to just have the epilogue be sooner then 19 years later. I guess making it 11/12 years later (and only saving that 8 years) wouldnt be that much of a help tho. I’d rather see them write a new epilogue (and by them, I mean Jo) and have it take place much sooner (like at a childs birth or something), then see other actors end the series.

Posted by Beth A on December 01, 2008, 10:50 PM report to moderator
Sarah

i agree with most of you, if the trio doesn’t portray themselves “19 years later” i’ll walk out of the theater and never go back. with somebody else we’ll just…know. like it’s not them at all and it will feel weird.

Posted by Sarah on December 01, 2008, 11:02 PM report to moderator
LeakyParker

I compelety agree with you, whim.

P.S. I love the fact that I have TWO spinning books to play with! :D

Posted by LeakyParker on December 01, 2008, 11:27 PM report to moderator
EmilyWealsey

Yeah, they did use different actors in the Lion, Witch Wardrobe (didnt’t see second one) and it was kind of weird. I dont think it’s that hard to age them. There are some pretty talented makeup artists around. Also its partly the actors’ job. How will they walk, how will they speak, and the costumer’s- how will they dress?
good example. Cate Blanchett played Galadriel in LOTR and changed her voice into more of a whisper I walked and acted like the Queen of the Elves that she is.
THEN AGAIN
the actors wont be THAT much older. Someone who does this for a living, a theater makeup artist perhaps? Please put in your two cents.

Posted by EmilyWealsey on December 01, 2008, 11:32 PM report to moderator
jain

people go on about the epilogue, but i have this same worry about the return to Godrics Hollow. Both Harry and Hermione have used polyjuice and take on the guise of two older muggles. i love that part of the book, but truth be told i don’t want to see two strangers playing that scene! It should be Dan and Emma. Could they make that work somehow?

Posted by jain on December 02, 2008, 12:02 AM report to moderator
Gina

They should look into how “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button” pulled it off with Brad Pitt. If the script is good and it should be in the film, then we’ll just have to deal with them playing themselves – unless, again, they pull off the aging well. Then by all means! But honestly, I’d be okay with something like a [not cheesy] slow montage of everyone’s older selves. That way it’s not too lengthy so that no one will complain about the makeup, and others won’t complain about the cheesy everyone-lived-happily-ever-after factor. It would simply be a “lite” version for all to be satisfied. Or they could just leave it out and end it sans epilogue. 90% of everything that was in the epilogue was what I expected anyhow [which is I guess what was a bit of a disappointment].

So, yes, either the original cast with excellent makeup/CG effects, or leave it out.

Posted by Gina on December 02, 2008, 12:02 AM report to moderator
Andrea

He’s such a lovable nerd. :) I concur, I hope they are able to work something out to keep that as the epilogue. But I’m glad to see that they are taking some time with these final films so they tie up the series with respect! :-) But, my goodness, he’s right – ten years from start to finish! I feel old now!!!!!

Posted by Andrea on December 02, 2008, 12:05 AM report to moderator
mollywobbles23

Argh. It was loading slowly and now it won’t play at all! Argh.

Posted by mollywobbles23 on December 02, 2008, 12:16 AM report to moderator
Amy

Ooooooooh, if they do keep the original trio and Tom and Bonnie, I certainly hope older Harry sports that dashing facial fur he’s got going on in the video. Delectable!!

Runs off to find more HP cast members sporting beards……

Posted by Amy on December 02, 2008, 12:20 AM report to moderator
dcrazmo

I really hope the three DON’T do the epilogue. That kind of young person acting older never works — “Brokeback Mountain” being a prime example — and I think it would end a brilliant film series on a cheesy note.

Posted by dcrazmo on December 02, 2008, 12:30 AM report to moderator
Amy

Wow, T-Vey!! I’ve never thought of that. You have seriously changed my mind about the book’s epilogue.(NO SARCASM)
Everybody should find this person’s post and read it!!

Although I still think Albus Severus is a name worth getting your butt kicked for at Hogwarts. Ha Ha

Posted by Amy on December 02, 2008, 12:32 AM report to moderator

Ron came back five minutes later, carrying three foaming tankards of hot butterbeer... Harry drank deeply. It was the most delicious thing he'd ever tasted and seemed to heat every bit of him from the inside.