New Sketches from Beedle the Bard and more in Mary GrandPre Iowa Exhibition

GrandPre
November 09, 2008, 01:32 PM

An exhibition of works by artist Mary GrandPre has now opened at the Cedar Rapids Museum of Art in Iowa, and contains highlights of her work for magazine covers, posters, and notably pieces done for the US editions of the Harry Potter book series. A report has surfaced online saying this exhibit surprisingly contains new work from the upcoming Tales of Beedle the Bard, as well as work from future collector's editions of the books from Scholastic. Unfortunately no details are available as to what exactly these new pieces of art contain.  The report notes:

The show is fantastic!!! 96 items on display and 38 of them are HP. On display: 20 pencil sketches she did for Warner Brothers in '04 and '05 and various scenes from books 1-5. These alone are worth going for! They also had one color picture of the trio playing the chess game (from book 1), cover sketches for books 1, 6, 7 (not just the final cover published but covers that weren't chosen). The sketches for Book 1 had the original title (Harry Potter and the School of Magic) instead of Sorcerer's Stone. Also, there were pencil sketches for Beedle the Bard and some future Collector Editions.

The exhibition is ongoing now until February 5, with visitors under the age of 18 admitted free of charge. General admission for adults is $5 and seniors/college students with an ID is $4. Anyone attending the exhibit, please send in your reports and photos and we will gladly post. Thanks to MuggleNet.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent GrandPre News

Jordan

Cool!! I wanna see ’em!!

Posted by Jordan on November 09, 2008, 01:44 PM report to moderator
Emily

Wish I lived there =(
Sounds cool! To everyone who goes, hope you have a good time!

Posted by Emily on November 09, 2008, 01:48 PM report to moderator
scholar17

Super excited for this! Any pics online, or can I just not find them?

Posted by scholar17 on November 09, 2008, 01:49 PM report to moderator
Johanna

Oooh! My professor’s wife is best friends (his words, so I assume it’s true) with Mrs GrandPre. He might get her to come talk to our class. I really hope so! I love her illustrations.

Posted by Johanna on November 09, 2008, 02:05 PM report to moderator
lborealis

One of the few times I’d say that I could see something cooler back in Iowa, where I’m from, than there is here in NYC where I live now. Enjoy, anyone who can go!

Posted by lborealis on November 09, 2008, 02:22 PM report to moderator
roonwit

I would guess that the Beedle the Bard sketches would be for the cover, since I get the impression that the inside is illustrated by Jo herself.

Posted by roonwit on November 09, 2008, 02:32 PM report to moderator
Kayla

Oh my goodness! Something HP related in Iowa? I am so excited! Cedars Rapids is only an hour or so from where I live. I hope i can see it sometime. :)

Posted by Kayla on November 09, 2008, 02:41 PM report to moderator
lionpaws

OMG!!! I live in Iowa! And so close to Cedar Rapids! I’m so going to go check them out. Wow I can’t believe this! Nothing ever happens here!

Posted by lionpaws on November 09, 2008, 02:43 PM report to moderator
Professor Potter

Harry Potter and the School of Magic ?!?! I want to know the story behind this title. Was it just for the US alternative or was this a JK Rowling original title? I suspect the former.

Posted by Professor Potter on November 09, 2008, 03:25 PM report to moderator
Professor Potter

Well I just did some extensive research on that title (alright I googled it :). Surprisingly very little information on this but Levine admitted he suggested it to Jo and she dismissed it straight away but then she suggested Sorcerer. Levine was happy with Sorcerer but ‘nowww’ we know that he still held on to his own suggestion for a while because he had Grandpre do a cover for it! Sneaky fella!

Posted by Professor Potter on November 09, 2008, 03:46 PM report to moderator
Saturn_Lioness

ha haaaaaaaaaaaaa, nice on, prof. potter!

Posted by Saturn_Lioness on November 09, 2008, 04:33 PM report to moderator
Linny

Nakwahusams: I have no idea what all of that just meant, but I don’t think it’s really supposed to be here lol!

School of Magic? I am not familiar with this name. I knida wish they’d just stuck with the same name everywhere :S

Posted by Linny on November 09, 2008, 05:21 PM report to moderator
iceymoon

now we know who hasn’t read Melissa’s book! xD she mentioned the ‘School of Magic’ thing there.

Posted by iceymoon on November 09, 2008, 06:48 PM report to moderator
Austin

ahhhhhh!!! this is just 5-6 miles from my house im def. going!!!

Posted by Austin on November 09, 2008, 08:42 PM report to moderator
Professor Potter

Ha ha, trying to catch me out icymoon ;) HoH isnt released in UK until 19th November :(

Posted by Professor Potter on November 10, 2008, 06:08 AM report to moderator

"If only we'd done human Transfiguration already! But I don't think we start that until sixth year, and it can go badly wrong if you don't know what you're doing..."[br]"Yeah, I don't fancy walking around with a periscope sticking out of my head," said Ha