Rob Pattinson on the Cover of "Entertainment Weekly"

Pattinson
November 06, 2008, 05:47 PM

Attention Twilight fans! Be sure to check out the new edition of "Entertainment Weekly" due out tomorrow, which will feature three different covers. One just released, seen here on the EW website, sports a face well known to us here in the Harry Potter world: actor Robert Pattinson (Hufflepuff great Cedric Diggory) who is now starring in the soon-to-be-released Twilight film in the lead role of Edward Cullen. You can also see a high res image of the cover featuring a handsome Rob here in our galleries.  As readers will recall of course, Twilight will be released on November 21, the date that Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince was to be in theaters until WB changed the date until July 17 of next year. Of the comparison between the books and films, EW notes:

The last thing the filmmakers behind Twilight want to hear is that their movie is the next Harry Potter. Sure, it occupies the release date once held by the boy wizard. But while the seven-book Potter series has sold 400 million copies and generated $4.5 billion in worldwide box office receipts, Twilight is working off a global fan base that has purchased only 17 million books. ''We're not even 5 percent of Potter sales. We're not even a toenail on that body,'' says director Catherine Hardwicke. ''Ours is a character film, a little more sophisticated teenage Romeo and Juliet.''

You can weigh in with your thoughts of the cover at EW, here. This issue of Entertainment Weekly will be available on newsstands tomorrow, Friday November 7.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Pattinson News

txhpfan

While I don’t think it is more “sophisticated” than Romeo and Juliet, I do understand the comparison. Actually, when I was trying to explain the book to my husband I told him to think on it as a twist on Romeo and Juliet (and I don’t think I’d read any fan sites before that)….just trying to preview it for my daughter’s assigned reading of it at school.

I enjoy the diversion of Twilight, and I’ll see the movie. However, I love my HP and I don’t think it is quite a replacement – simply another series to enjoy.

Posted by txhpfan on November 07, 2008, 01:29 PM report to moderator
Liv

I’ve read both series and love them (HP more than Twilight though) and I find it really annoying the way they keep calling it “the next HP”. The main themes in the books are totally different. Ok, they’re both fantasies, but Twilight is more about a “Romeo and Juliet thing” (although not comparable at all to Shakspeare’s works) and HP focuses on the whole love, good and evil subjects. They’re veeery different! Also, Twilight hasn’t got, and never will have I believe, the success of HP. Sure, it’s popular too all over the world (I live in Italy and people adore it here) but it focuses usually on a certain age group. You’re not going to read it to your seven year old, just to be clear. HP instead is an “all age book” so obviously more people read it and it tends to be a lot more huge than Twilight. I’m happy that Catherine understands that (and Stephenie too).

Well, that’s my opinion on the matter.

Posted by Liv on November 07, 2008, 01:55 PM report to moderator
cLUrun

Personally, I never thought Rob filled the shoes of Cedric. From the Twilight trailer though, I will admit that he looks better. The whole HP vs Twilight, I won’t go into a long detailed rant about the Twilight books because it’ll just get me pissed off. NOTHING COMPARES TO THE HP FANDOM!!!! NOTHING!!!!

HP great to the Twilight movie? Brilliant :]

Posted by cLUrun on November 07, 2008, 02:17 PM report to moderator
Krystle

The writing in Twilight was crud, how can they compare it to Shakespeare, actually they said it was better….dumb nuts…

anyway, rob is a very pretty man and I’m sure he’ll go far as for the movie, the preview i saw looked just as awful as the writing in the book….but if i can sit though high school musicals 1-3 for mr. efron (horrible, i know…)i guess i can sit through twilight for Rob…

Posted by Krystle on November 07, 2008, 04:36 PM report to moderator
janspach

You see information on other HP actor’s on leaky all the time. They coverd both Rupert’s new movies, there is almost always an article on Emma and what she is doing, Equus got a bunch of coverage as did other actors (Tom Felton and David Thewlis). Twilight comes out very soon so there is more information about Pattison than others at the moment. Not to mention that EW article mentioned HP in it, which makes it more relevant to a HP site.

I’m sure Sue and the crew sort through everything that is submitted and aren’t biased one way or another.

Posted by janspach on November 07, 2008, 04:40 PM report to moderator
TajM

Half-Blood Prince news!

I am a senior at Radnor High School, PA. Today, we inducted into our Hall of Fame the Senior Vice President of Warner Bros., Bill Daly. As part of his presentation, Mr. Daly showed the school two NEVER-BEFORE-SEEN clips from HBP.

The first was of Harry and Dumbledore at the train station. While there, Harry asks Dumbledore about his withered hand, to which Michael Gambon uses basically the same line as in the book (“It’s a thrilling tale, I wish to do it justice,” etc.). They then Apparate to Budleigh Baberton. The Apparition scence was AMAZING! It was a dizzying flash of various faces and objects, and it ended abruptly with their arrival in the town square. They arrive right next to the war memorial, and move down the street to house Slughorn is presumbly occuyping (although it showed no signs of damage).

The second scene was the fiery battle against the Inferi in the Horcrux cave. Harry was completely underwater, trying to fend off the Inferi, and eventually made his way to the top and climbed onto the island. Dumbledore had his huge fiery lasso going, and the Inferi were crawling around the island, close to the ground.

That’s as best as I can remember! I nearly had a heart attack watching them!

Posted by TajM on November 07, 2008, 05:13 PM report to moderator
ER

First off, I think that both HP and Twilight fans have taken this way too far. I really don’t think most people are saying that the stories are similar. I think they’re comparing the fan reaction. In the internet age, fandoms can be huge. Calling Twilight the next HP means that it’s become a fandom craze with release parties, costumes, etc. A regular person becoming a, seemingly, overnight success for writing young adult novels that are now hugely anticipated movie(s), huh sounds a bit familiar.

Second, I got my EW today and I’m VERY happy. When Rob played Cedric I was skeptical at first, but after watching the movies a few times, I think he captured Cedric, but I really think he’s going to be great as Edward. This is his staring role; Rob is to Edward as Dan is to Harry. Just be happy for him.

Posted by ER on November 07, 2008, 06:42 PM report to moderator
sara

hahah i’m like what does twillight have to do with harry potter and then i’m like oh yeah rob patterson is harry potter (well cedric anyways)

Posted by sara on November 07, 2008, 07:04 PM report to moderator
Oojo Ayame

The article is right to say that Twilight has not SOLD as much as HP…I have no idea why, but at my school I think only 20 people own the books and allow all the other people borrow their copy… Weird right?
I’d just like to say to those going to Twilight dressed up like Harry Potter…..You’re stupid…. You think the Twilighters give a d@mn about Harry Potter? They will probably igonore you, rolling their eyes or tease you, by saying, “Didn’t you know? They moved the release date to July.” or “Wrong movie!”
Twilight fans are not harsh to HP fans like HP fans are to Twilighters…. It’s annoying because THEY ARE BOTH JUST BOOKS!!!! No need to get worked up….I love both books, but find it’s better to move onto another book or series after you finsih one. Yes, you can go back and reread them (I do this) but I move on…. Books are just books, no matter how great it is…
Ayame

Posted by Oojo Ayame on November 07, 2008, 07:12 PM report to moderator
J. blog

Why does that boy always look like he’s high? Ick, not attracted to him at all. Good luck to him in his vampire stuff.

Posted by J. blog on November 07, 2008, 07:51 PM report to moderator
burningpumpkins

This is silly.
Guys, let’s not get mad at this petty marketing scheme. Since we already know that Twilight is a joke next to us, we’ll treat them like children, and let them have their say. After all, we’ll be here forever, and they’ll be gone soon enough. Some of their fanbase have already left due to the failure that was Breaking Dawn (though I can’t imagine why they didn’t regard the rest of the series as failures, too).

They can’t come up with as decent fanfiction, fanart or essays as us, because Meyer’s writing is so shallow that Bella’s character is only as good as clumsy, and Edward is a pretty boy.

I think this movie will be a success because they can build on Meyer’s shallow characters, fill them up, and give the story more meat. And you wonder why the movie is so “faithful to the book”. THERE’S NOT MUCH STORY TO TELL!

Tbh, Twilight would have ended better if Bella turned into a vampire and Edward realizes that he never really loved her. It’ll have some neo-Freudian spin that’ll make it 10x more interesting than the unrealistic, teenage lust factor that it is now, plus making Edward into some sort of Golum kind of character.

Posted by burningpumpkins on November 07, 2008, 09:04 PM report to moderator
qwill

It seems that this story could be about the type of love that could survive. In the story the Cullens fights their nature and become a strong, united family. The others of their kind do not even attempt to stay together. In a world where families are falling apart, Stephenie Meyer writes about one that lasts forever. Some people may find a spiritual connection to this. I know I have a friend who does.

Posted by qwill on November 07, 2008, 09:54 PM report to moderator
Jessie

It’s very difficult for me not to see an incredibly disgruntled Cedric on the cover, rather than this Edward guy. I’m not really interested in the Twilight series, but I do want to see the film for two reasons: the trailer was freaking awesome, and who knows, maybe I’ll like the film enough to give the books a try. What an odd thought that is, as a Potter fan.

Posted by Jessie on November 07, 2008, 11:30 PM report to moderator
Bellatrix's parole officer

I think robert pattison will have a career like Pierce Brosnan – defined by their incredibly good looks.

Posted by Bellatrix's parole officer on November 07, 2008, 11:30 PM report to moderator
kerri

SOOOOOOO FREAKING HOOOOOOT! OME, did you see his face, melt me now! Jordan your an idiot. Twilight is going to ROOOOOCK!

Posted by kerri on November 08, 2008, 12:18 AM report to moderator

"Weasley would like a signed photo, Potter," smirked Malfoy. "It'd be worth more than his family's whole house --"

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014