Rob Pattinson on the Cover of "Entertainment Weekly"

Pattinson
November 06, 2008, 05:47 PM

Attention Twilight fans! Be sure to check out the new edition of "Entertainment Weekly" due out tomorrow, which will feature three different covers. One just released, seen here on the EW website, sports a face well known to us here in the Harry Potter world: actor Robert Pattinson (Hufflepuff great Cedric Diggory) who is now starring in the soon-to-be-released Twilight film in the lead role of Edward Cullen. You can also see a high res image of the cover featuring a handsome Rob here in our galleries.  As readers will recall of course, Twilight will be released on November 21, the date that Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince was to be in theaters until WB changed the date until July 17 of next year. Of the comparison between the books and films, EW notes:

The last thing the filmmakers behind Twilight want to hear is that their movie is the next Harry Potter. Sure, it occupies the release date once held by the boy wizard. But while the seven-book Potter series has sold 400 million copies and generated $4.5 billion in worldwide box office receipts, Twilight is working off a global fan base that has purchased only 17 million books. ''We're not even 5 percent of Potter sales. We're not even a toenail on that body,'' says director Catherine Hardwicke. ''Ours is a character film, a little more sophisticated teenage Romeo and Juliet.''

You can weigh in with your thoughts of the cover at EW, here. This issue of Entertainment Weekly will be available on newsstands tomorrow, Friday November 7.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Pattinson News

harrysginny

hmmm. I have been a HP fan for 10 years and i must say I’m a bit disappointed with some of the comments here about twilight. Surely, you guys didn’t miss the admission they claimed that they are “not even a toe nail compared to the body” (which is HP). Not to mention, Stephanie Mayer (author of twilight) speaking very highly of J.K. Rowling in some of her interviews. But must we as fans talk daggers @ them as a “thank you” for realizing who/what they are compared to us??? I guess what i am trying to say is everyone of course is entitle to his/her own opinion, but if you are proclaiming your self as a HP fan -just ease up with the “bitter” comments- because you are representing HP and us real fans and we do not want to be tagged as bitter or sour grapes…Let them have their run/fun and just support our beloved triwizard champion —Cedric Diggory!

Posted by harrysginny on November 07, 2008, 12:37 AM report to moderator
Lenka

Ahojky jsem tu pooprvý:-D Je to tu hezké akorát se mi to tu nechce překládat:-D Tak čauky

Posted by Lenka on November 07, 2008, 01:32 AM report to moderator
Elyzie

I just saw EQUUS! IT WAS AWESOME!!! Go see it!

Oh wait, this post is about Rob.. sorry I’m still excited ;x But anyways, thanks for the heads up, Leaky! I’m definitely going to stop by the bookstore after work tomorrow to get the Entertainment Weekly. ;D

Posted by Elyzie on November 07, 2008, 01:32 AM report to moderator
Heather

I really wish this war between the fandoms would end! I’ll be starting book 3 of the Twilight series and while its good, some characters are very Mary-Sueish and the writing isn’t all that great. However the story I do find to be interesting and I do think that the characters are more internalized than in HP. I would really compare a lot of characterizations in HP to the way Shakespeare wrote his characters. Most of what they say is obvious and to the point there is not a lot of multi-layered thinking. That doesn’t make it good or bad its a writing style and a more “old school” technique while the Twilight series is definitely a more modern way of writing!

Meyers hasn’t had much experience in writing and it shows but she is a good storyteller, there is something addicting about the books. But I personally find J.K.R. to be more eloquent and a more imaginative storyteller. A big reason for this could be because she took her time with the writing of these books and had a whole universe thought out before and as she was writing. Meyers popped these books out in 4 years, which is insane if you think about it, maybe that could be why the quality (IMHO) isn’t as up to par but they’re still good books and fun reads.

I really think the only reason that they keep getting compared as because of Rob and as he has stated in interviews, he doesn’t even understand why since he was in one film and his character dies. Yes they’re popular books series and yes they’re made into movies but that’s where the comparisons should end. Neither has displayed the staying power of other book fandoms like the Lord of the Rings series or even movie fandoms like Star Wars. Let’s wait 25-50 years and see where they stand.

I am an HP fan but I like Twilight, so why doesn’t everyone just chill and enjoy the fact that the younger generation has grown up reading and where book releases are as big of events as movie releases…that can’t be a bad thing no matter what fandom you may support!

Posted by Heather on November 07, 2008, 01:43 AM report to moderator
mione

comparing twilight to romeo and juliet is stupid. But comparing twilight to harry potter———-DONT THINK SO! Twilight is so were near as good as HP or Romeo and Juliet!

Posted by mione on November 07, 2008, 02:47 AM report to moderator
mione

Robert looked better as Cedric!! He looks weird as edward!

Posted by mione on November 07, 2008, 02:49 AM report to moderator
faith

im real harry potter too.media call twilight beat harry potter and they affront harry potter.if twilight beat box office to hp ,hp to suffer loss.you couldn’t understant.
and i have a questions.why you don’t daniel radcliffe and emma watson news.but do robert news.you turn twilight site.

Posted by faith on November 07, 2008, 03:45 AM report to moderator
jasmine

I’ve never really found R.Pattinson to be handsome. shifty eyes and unkempt hair?… can’t see where the attraction is.

As for the comparison to HP, it’s the marketing department of Twilight who are at fault. They’re riding the Harry Potter wave to promote the movie. And it’s a joke to compare its characters to Shakespeare’s famous lovers. Talk about exaggeration. Although to be fair, at least Meyer delved into the romance angle of Bella and Edward fairly well compared to the love relationships in HP which were haphazardly written.

Posted by jasmine on November 07, 2008, 06:24 AM report to moderator
Leif Longbottom

I am a fan of the Twilight books (the last two especially) but I too think R&J is a generous comparison. I can see that’s what the author was trying to convey in the second book but it came off less Romeo & Juliet and more Ross & Rachel: less tragic and more eyerolling.

Posted by Leif Longbottom on November 07, 2008, 09:25 AM report to moderator
Abby

I too will be at the midnight showing dressed in a Hogwarts costume… actually more than that! I’ll be a vampire Cho Chang!! I can’t wait to see the reactions. Rob is and always will be Cedric to me.

BTW, I tried sending in news about David Thewlis but it seems that all the HP sites are ignoring me. Hmph! Not cool! Anyway, I’ll just post it here. since he visited LA a couple of days ago. I posted an interview he had on KTLA Morning News on You Tube and he talked about the HPB push back and his new movie coming out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jy4t2eA7KeM

Posted by Abby on November 07, 2008, 10:01 AM report to moderator
leviosa

i’m glad catherine admitted that the fan bases are different, and i have always said…harry potter is my number ONE! i really enjoy reading twilight but it’s different. i am just going to have fun… i refuse to compare the two stories.

Posted by leviosa on November 07, 2008, 11:00 AM report to moderator
Karen

I haven’t read any of the Twilight books. Maybe one day…

I will say CONGRATULATIONS to Robert Pattison for landing this role. I hope it works out for him.

Posted by Karen on November 07, 2008, 12:11 PM report to moderator
Znachki

I read the first book and thought – meh – so I won’t be reading any more of them. A much better book of a slightly similar type is Robin McKinley’s “Sunshine”. Be that as it may, I have a feeling that this may be one of those times where I’ll find that the movie is better than the book. I’ve also wondered, and I’m sure that there is no way to tell, how the fan reaction over the controversial end (to them anyway) might affect turnout for the film.

Posted by Znachki on November 07, 2008, 12:17 PM report to moderator
janspach

For being Harry Potter fans there are is a lot of hating going on…. HP created a whole new generation of readers, be happy that they are still reading. Twilight has never been promoted at the next HP by the people directly involved with it and it never will be. It’s a fun story… leave it alone.
The movie happens to share an actor with one of the HP actors. Good for Leaky for keeping us up-to-date on the actors that shared the HP experience.

Posted by janspach on November 07, 2008, 12:24 PM report to moderator
IndigoMisfit

He looks so pretty

Posted by IndigoMisfit on November 07, 2008, 12:36 PM report to moderator

"This little beauty's taught us more than all the teachers in this school."[br]"You're winding me up," said Harry, looking at the ragged old bit of parchment.[br]"Oh, are we?" said George.[br]He took out his wand, touched the parchment lightly, and said,

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014