Wizard Rock the Vote!

Fans
Posted by: Melissa
November 04, 2008, 04:35 AM

Today is Election Day in the US, and we'd like to remind you, along with The HP Alliance, to Wizard Rock the VOTE! Get out there and vote, no matter who you are voting for. It matters in and outside America, and it will affect the course of the world.

Here are a couple of links to help:

Google makes it easy to find your polling place and registration information at maps.google.com/vote.

If you aren't registered, but live in Idaho, Iowa, Maine, Minnesota, New Hampshire, or Wisconsin, you can register at the polls on the day of the election (TODAY): click here for more on polling places and other voting info.

You can research the ballot initiatives going on in your state here.

Remember that your vote is important and don't let anyone get between you and your choice!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Fans News

Katie

I just voted for the first time ever! :)
And I think this post is perfectly relevant to the Harry Potter fandom, seeing as it’s about the Wizard Rock the Vote initiative.

Posted by Katie on November 04, 2008, 01:46 PM report to moderator
Kassandra

I think it is reall good that they did decide to post this.
It’s just a reminder for every American to go out to vote.
I am a 16 year old Canadian and I believe that this election is very important, whoever is the president DOES have alot of influence on the world.
Think about Bush for example, how much influence he has had in the world.

Posted by Kassandra on November 04, 2008, 01:46 PM report to moderator
Kari

I voted bright and early this morning as soon as our local polls opened. This is the 4th presidential election I’ve voted in, but it’s the first time I’ve ever been excited and hopeful about the vote I cast. I’m sorry if some people don’t care to read about it or want to whine about TLC posting a reminder to vote here, but as many have already pointed out, who we choose as our leader here in America does have an effect all over the world. I have friends and acquaintances in the UK (one of whom I saw just last month) who have been pleading that we as Americans make a good choice in this election. So there are other people in other countries who are watching, waiting, and hoping just like all of us here in the US today.

Posted by Kari on November 04, 2008, 01:51 PM report to moderator
longliveRemus

Way to go TLC! There is politics in the “everyday”, even in Harry Potter. We can’t deny that in addition to being HP fans, we’re also people who interact in a real, material world, of which HP is one part. I’m South African, and I would vote if I could – this election really does have repercussions for the rest of the world. Hoping Obama’s gonna pull through. It won’t be radical change, but it will be change.

Posted by longliveRemus on November 04, 2008, 03:11 PM report to moderator
Krystle

I had to vote absentee but I mailed it off last week and am sporting my sticker today!

To those complaining, wait until your old enough and you’ll see why it’s important. To those who are outside the USA an are complaining, the site is ran mostly by US citizens, yes it’s for everyone, but if you come to a site ran mainly in the US, you gotta deal with US news, okie dokie!

BTW I voted McCain!

Posted by Krystle on November 04, 2008, 03:21 PM report to moderator
Athena

I have voted!

Everyone who can, go do so!

Posted by Athena on November 04, 2008, 03:40 PM report to moderator
Beth A

This site is geared towards a VERY large and diverse audience. I doubt that anywhere they say that they will keep posts only to those that Britt (or any other single user) thinks are relavant. Leaky is very active in the HP Aliance, which is all about charity and being civic minded. HP Aliance has a “Wizard Rock The Vote” campaign. ergo, leaky will post a story about voting. Simple. It was quite obvious what this post was about. if it has NO relavance to you (yeah, ‘cause Bush has done no harm anywhere except the US), then skip it. There are others who WANT to read the post. Although, based on the comments, it’s quite obvious you are interested if you keep reading.

Here’s the thing… I’m guessing that most/all of the Leaky staffers are US based. They may not know when Canada’s, or the UK’s, or other countries elections are held. Who knows… if you submitted a news story about how important it was to get Canadians to the voting booth, they might just post it. Did you try?

Posted by Beth A on November 04, 2008, 04:09 PM report to moderator
Hermionewannabe

I’ll tell ya all why how voting has got to do with HP:

HP is an excellent example of a FLAWED government…just as all governments are and those of us in America have the AWESOME ability to have the power to FIX the problems in the government so why the heck aren’t we taking a stand? HP is all about taking a stand….so lets put some of what we’ve learned from HP and J.K. Rowling to use and VOTE for what and who we believe in!

Posted by Hermionewannabe on November 04, 2008, 04:17 PM report to moderator
anne

Will it really make a difference? Too much of a cynic I’m afraid. Mind you, I do remember the happy feeling on the day after Labour got in after 15 years of Tory (and Thatcher) rule, my second ever vote. So if you think you can make a difference, do.

I live in the UK (commonly known as lapdog of the US). I get the impression the UK would like to sit in Obama’s lap next.

Posted by anne on November 04, 2008, 04:18 PM report to moderator
Audrey

Go McCain! Wizards for McCain! YAY! Go Republicans! I can’t vote, I’m too young.. but i’ll vote in the next election!

Posted by Audrey on November 04, 2008, 04:20 PM report to moderator
anne

What I do find ironic is the number of people here saying they are voting McCain. Isn’t Palin in his camp? And doesn’t she want to target HP for exclusion from libraries??

Here’s a funny story: a friend was told that Palin wanted ‘to ban Harry Potter and the Merchant of Venice’. In response he said (joking of course): ‘wow I really must keep up, I didn’t realize there was another HP book out!’

Posted by anne on November 04, 2008, 04:40 PM report to moderator
Alake

I dont give a cent about movies and i still visit the web. You dont need to worship every single article written here.

Posted by Alake on November 04, 2008, 04:56 PM report to moderator
Cruella

“us in America have the AWESOME ability to have the power to FIX the problems in the government”
-I wish you excercised your power FOUR YEARS AGO.

Posted by Cruella on November 04, 2008, 04:58 PM report to moderator
iamminerva

I expected long lines today so I voted early(on Oct. 18th) . Yes, this has nothing to do with HP but I don’t mind it being mentioned. I’m sure there are lots of non-political websites who have mentioned it today. It’s that important.

Posted by iamminerva on November 04, 2008, 05:17 PM report to moderator
Witchchylde

I’m mobility impaired and I pulled out my walker and hauled myself to the polling place at eight in the morning. Many reasons behind this, not the least among them having watched Alex Carpenter of the Remus Lupins’ YouTube video of himself filling out his ballot. Please, don’t be a Pansy Parkinson and point the finger of accusation at sincere, socially conscious and motivated people urging others to exercise their civic right and duty. Be a Neville Longbottom and lift that sword of involvement!

Posted by Witchchylde on November 04, 2008, 05:21 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

"Thanks," said Sirius, opening it, grabbing a drumstick, sitting down on the cave floor, and tearing off a large chunk with his teeth. "I've been living off rats mostly. Can't steal too much food from Hogsmeade; I'd draw attention to myself."