Wizard Rock the Vote!

Fans
Posted by: Melissa
November 04, 2008, 04:35 AM

Today is Election Day in the US, and we'd like to remind you, along with The HP Alliance, to Wizard Rock the VOTE! Get out there and vote, no matter who you are voting for. It matters in and outside America, and it will affect the course of the world.

Here are a couple of links to help:

Google makes it easy to find your polling place and registration information at maps.google.com/vote.

If you aren't registered, but live in Idaho, Iowa, Maine, Minnesota, New Hampshire, or Wisconsin, you can register at the polls on the day of the election (TODAY): click here for more on polling places and other voting info.

You can research the ballot initiatives going on in your state here.

Remember that your vote is important and don't let anyone get between you and your choice!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Fans News

Britt

If they’re going to post urging US voters to vote, then they should also urge people to participate in every other election ever.

This topic isn’t relevant to me. Harry Potter is relevant to me, which is all I should be seeing here. In the midst of this US election, I want to see some Harry Potter news, as everything else has been drowned out by politics. I come to the source of HP news and oh, it’s been drowned out here, too.

If this were a general news site, fine. But it isn’t. It’s strayed off the topic I came here to see, and that’s where the frustration is.

Posted by Britt on November 04, 2008, 12:09 PM report to moderator
Mary

I voted! Wizard rock the vote!!! I have my “I voted” sticker and everything!!!

Posted by Mary on November 04, 2008, 12:09 PM report to moderator
Thio

Again… it’s not like there are 15 posts on the front page of leaky explaining in detail the election and showing the latest news. It was one post only.

And all they are saying is that voting is important… and that goes for the rest of the world too. It’s only that leaky, as an american site, chose this moment to post this.

Leaky isn’t drowning the site with the election. I daresay we are… with this pleasant little chat of ours.

Posted by Thio on November 04, 2008, 12:16 PM report to moderator
Moody One

If ya don’t like the article don’t read it. Apparently people want to complain. Oh well. VOTE VOTE VOTE! No matter what country your from.

Posted by Moody One on November 04, 2008, 12:21 PM report to moderator
Jordan

I’m heading out to vote as soon as my class is over!!! Thanks for doing ‘Wizard Rock the Vote’…I’ll be wearing my shirt!!

Posted by Jordan on November 04, 2008, 12:24 PM report to moderator
I Voted!

to Britt
If you’re going to complain about non-directly Harry Potter related stories on TLC…GO RUN YOUR OWN SITE!!!! Get over it already!

GO VOTE!!

Posted by I Voted! on November 04, 2008, 12:30 PM report to moderator
Carebie

If you don’t want to read this type of article on Leaky then skip this article. I don’t read every single article that comes on here. You don’t have to either. The HP Alliance and Wizard Rock the vote have been urging people to vote why is it irrelevant for Leaky to post it? The more information out there for people and the more people see the more people are likely to vote. Its a historic race and its important to be informed.

But anyway, My husband and I voted last week to skip the lines, which was really nice. Happy Election Day! It will be a long day.

Posted by Carebie on November 04, 2008, 12:31 PM report to moderator
sunflwr

Here’s my “two cents”: In the grand scheme of things, today’s US election may not be 100% relevant to HP. HOWEVER, our Congressional representatives do make decisions that affect the world on the whole. They do make decisions that impact our ability to live freely. They do make decisions that impact whether or not a mom from the Southern US can sue to keep a particular book series out of a school library…and that does impact the whole fandom.

We live in a time where more information is available than ever before, and it’s at our fingertips! I applaud Leaky for posting a simple reminder as there may be some people who only get news from Leaky. Yes, that’s true! Some people only visit fan sites! To me, Leaky would be doing those people a disservice not to at least mention the Election as briefly as they did.

Posted by sunflwr on November 04, 2008, 12:34 PM report to moderator
potterhead23

I voted!

How is it related to Harry Potter? Because the HARRY POTTER Alliance is the one putting it together. The HPA’s stuff is always on here.

And Britt- it would have been posted if the HP Alliance had been doing a Wizard Wrock the vote for Canada, but they didn’t so there was no HP related news to post.

Thanks for posting the article, Leaky!

Posted by potterhead23 on November 04, 2008, 12:38 PM report to moderator
AJWC1

Wow, some folks are for and some folks are against the news being posted.

Oh well, when I come across a news post that I’m not interested in, I just don’t read it…

Seems simple enough.

Posted by AJWC1 on November 04, 2008, 01:03 PM report to moderator
AJWC1

Also, folks are going on about just wanting to see some HP news. I do too, but at the moment, there ain’t much to speak of is there???

They’ve got to keep the site moving and since the next film is very far away and since the books are over and until Beedle the Bard comes out and also Melissa’s book, gotta update with something, right?

Posted by AJWC1 on November 04, 2008, 01:06 PM report to moderator
Justin the Mighty

Right on, sunflwr!

Posted by Justin the Mighty on November 04, 2008, 01:10 PM report to moderator
bushybrownhairedknowitall

This is a MAJOR election— the biggest I’ve ever had the opportunity to participate in. It has serious relevance to the books— if, in the books no one bothered to take a stand against their government, Voldemort would have won, Harry would have died, and we’d all be depressed. This election is relevant to everyone. I’m not saying that we in the US are some big superpower (not anymore), but our government tends to get us involved in things all over the globe. Whoever gets elected today will have a very hard job and very hard decisions to make that will effect everyone one way or another. I’m sorry, but if you don’t see that, then you haven’t been paying attention. If the little friendly reminder to vote in the biggest election of our lives offends you, then please skip the article. Everyone SHOULD participate in voting— wherever you are and whoever you support.
(BTW, I didn’t get to vote yet, but I am going directly after work— and I’m taking goodies to the local campaign office of candidate I support to thank them for their hard work)

Posted by bushybrownhairedknowitall on November 04, 2008, 01:12 PM report to moderator
Dobby's Mom

I voted! WooHoo!

I’m surprised, too, Hedwigthegreat! Social Justice is my favorite theme of the HP books. I’m really surprised that people are so quick to condemn TLC for participating in a historic American day (that has global ramifications).

I’m honored that my voice was heard today. I think it’s very HP of me :)

Si se puede!

Posted by Dobby's Mom on November 04, 2008, 01:18 PM report to moderator
Jaymi

What I have a problem with is the pro-Obama ads on the site. Also, saying get out and vote is great, but it should be limited to that and not “Go” anybody.

Posted by Jaymi on November 04, 2008, 01:43 PM report to moderator

The others moved in closer around Harry, gazing at the orb as he brushed it free of the clogging dust.[br]And then, from right behind them, a drawling voice said, "Very good, Potter. Now turn around, nice and slowly, and give that to me."