USA Today Features "Harry, A History" by Melissa Anelli

Harry, A History
November 04, 2008, 10:57 PM

Today,  Harry, A History, the new book about the Harry Potter phenomenon written by TLC webmistress Melissa Anelli, has officially been released. As such, the USA Today newspaper takes a closer look at the book, with an article that also contains new comments from Melissa who says that the world of Harry Potter  "is so pleasant to spend time in,"  and the world of the online fandom such as we have here at the Leaky Cauldron "is still a joy every day. There are still people doing fan art, discussing the books."

With editor Jennifer Heddle saying "it will appeal to both hard-core fans and casual readers," the article notes that Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling did write the foreward to Harry, A History, as "Rowling reveals it wasn't until 2002 — five years after her first Harry book — that she went online and looked at the vast Potter Web world. "The tale of the online fandom is every bit as extraordinary as Harry's own," she writes, "and it has left me with a feeling of awe and gratitude."

As the series is now complete, there are some fans still holding out hope for more from the beloved magical world of Harry Potter,  and Melissa weighs in on the matter: "I do think there is a chance," she says. "If she returns to it, the book will be about Albus Severus Potter (son of Harry and Ginny Potter). The eighth book they said would never happen!"

You can find out more about Harry, A History via the book's website, or discuss your thoughts and reactions to the book, here in our forums. Harry, A History is available now.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Harry, A History News

dave

getting my copy at the weekend, so glad to see it doing well. Good things happen to good people.

Posted by dave on November 05, 2008, 05:24 PM report to moderator
Arithmancer

Congrats, Melissa! I haven’t gotten a copy yet, but I will soon, and I’m looking forward to it.

By the way…I moved to the NYC area recently, and if I hopped on the train now I could still make it to your signing on time. But alas, I have to much work to do tonight. Oh, well. Good luck with the reading; wish I was there!

Posted by Arithmancer on November 05, 2008, 06:03 PM report to moderator
BoB

got-it read-it loved-it – could not put it down – we all owe the Leaky folks much thanks for all the hours and Dedication they put into keeping all of us up to date on HP. Thank You Melissa! Hope it makes the best seller list. You certainly deserve it.

Posted by BoB on November 05, 2008, 06:21 PM report to moderator
CeNedra

I’ve spent my few free moments today reading it, and the book came out very well.

Congrats Melissa!

Posted by CeNedra on November 05, 2008, 08:48 PM report to moderator
Pamela

Thank you Melissa for this loving keepsake of my time as a HP book fan. I say “my” time, because even though most of the events happen from your perspective, you wrote about the fans as if you knew all of them (including me!. It’s great!

Posted by Pamela on November 05, 2008, 09:25 PM report to moderator
Moody One

Melissa is was a wonderful book! Congratulations!!!

Posted by Moody One on November 05, 2008, 10:26 PM report to moderator
marian

Congrats Melissa, I can’t wait to read your book. I really hope JK writes that book on Albus Severus he just seems so interesting, wonder how he’ll act towards Scorpius?

Posted by marian on November 05, 2008, 10:45 PM report to moderator
Jessie

I LOVE the new Harry, A History widget!!

Posted by Jessie on November 05, 2008, 11:39 PM report to moderator
rownak = )

Yayyyy, so cool to see you in usa today!!! Sorry don’t be mad Melissa, I plan on getting the book soon, along with Beetle in a two-fer deal once I have some more stable finances, I swear, I even have the amazon page bookmarked and everything! Can’t wait for some down time from school during the holiday break to read it!!

Posted by rownak = ) on November 06, 2008, 11:59 AM report to moderator
Fran

Congrats, Melissa!! I just finished reading it and it was fabulous! Some of it was like going back in time and re-living some of the best parts of my life and other parts, like the parts about the origins of Wizard Rock, were completely new to me (but just as amazing!). I laughed a lot and I even cried once. (Incidentally, that is the first time I have cried over a book since Sirius died….)
Thank you for all the hard work you must have put into this!!

Posted by Fran on November 06, 2008, 03:01 PM report to moderator
Maria

I cried the whole time I was reading it. It was so amazing and brought back all my Harry Potter memories. I love Melissa Anelli. She is the luckiest person alive and has done the coolest things in the world! Her book is amazing!!!!!

Posted by Maria on November 06, 2008, 04:27 PM report to moderator
Franklin

I picked this up the day it came out, and I searched through Borders to get it! Was so pleased to find it, and read fifty pages the first night. This book is essential for any Potter fan, and I admire what Anelli was able to achieve with the publication of the book. It is definitely one of the best books about the phenomenon around! Thank-you so much Ms. Anelli for an amazing book! Your insight is second to none.

Posted by Franklin on November 06, 2008, 07:29 PM report to moderator
Rettopyrrah

Congrats, Melissa! I can’t wait to get your book and I hope you keep publishing books as well as being a journalist!

Posted by Rettopyrrah on November 06, 2008, 08:49 PM report to moderator
leviosa

i need a series about their lives BEFORE the epilogue…..they grew up too fast ha ha! BTW congrats melissa! picked up my book yesterday!

Posted by leviosa on November 07, 2008, 11:15 AM report to moderator
IndigoMisfit

Congratulations Mellisa! I can’t wait to read you book. It’s going to be my present to myself after I finish my final exams next week. And from what I heard so far in all these interviews, it’s will be totally worth it.

Posted by IndigoMisfit on November 07, 2008, 01:03 PM report to moderator

Harry imagined picking up his cauldron, and sprinting to the front of the class, and bringing it down on Snape's greasy head.