USA Today Features "Harry, A History" by Melissa Anelli

Harry, A History
November 04, 2008, 10:57 PM

Today,  Harry, A History, the new book about the Harry Potter phenomenon written by TLC webmistress Melissa Anelli, has officially been released. As such, the USA Today newspaper takes a closer look at the book, with an article that also contains new comments from Melissa who says that the world of Harry Potter  "is so pleasant to spend time in,"  and the world of the online fandom such as we have here at the Leaky Cauldron "is still a joy every day. There are still people doing fan art, discussing the books."

With editor Jennifer Heddle saying "it will appeal to both hard-core fans and casual readers," the article notes that Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling did write the foreward to Harry, A History, as "Rowling reveals it wasn't until 2002 — five years after her first Harry book — that she went online and looked at the vast Potter Web world. "The tale of the online fandom is every bit as extraordinary as Harry's own," she writes, "and it has left me with a feeling of awe and gratitude."

As the series is now complete, there are some fans still holding out hope for more from the beloved magical world of Harry Potter,  and Melissa weighs in on the matter: "I do think there is a chance," she says. "If she returns to it, the book will be about Albus Severus Potter (son of Harry and Ginny Potter). The eighth book they said would never happen!"

You can find out more about Harry, A History via the book's website, or discuss your thoughts and reactions to the book, here in our forums. Harry, A History is available now.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Harry, A History News

CimoreneBurrfoot

CONGRATULATIONS MELISSA! :) Thank you so much for writing something that will bring something new to the joy of Harry Potter!

Posted by CimoreneBurrfoot on November 05, 2008, 10:20 AM report to moderator
cLUrun

YAAAAYYYY!!!!! Congrats Melissa! :D
but there’s not a single Borders here in College Station T-T and I can’t wait to read your book! Of course it’s at Barnes&Noble but I just like to get all my HP stuff at Borders b/c they’ve been great to HP.

Posted by cLUrun on November 05, 2008, 10:39 AM report to moderator
Jordan

Awesome!! I can’t wait to buy it!!! Congratulations!

Posted by Jordan on November 05, 2008, 11:30 AM report to moderator
jossy D

It was good, but I thought that it was going to be more like a Harry Potter encyclopedia, you know what I mean. But Stilll an AWSOME read.

Posted by jossy D on November 05, 2008, 12:06 PM report to moderator
Kat

I’ve read about half the book so far and it’s simply wonderful! I find myself smiling, laughing out loud, and feeling all nostalgic. Congrats Melissa! You Rock!

Posted by Kat on November 05, 2008, 12:08 PM report to moderator
Confederate Lady

WOW and double WOW! Congratulations, Ms A! I just finished the reviews, on Amazon…the first one, from a noted literary critic! I can’t wait to get my hands on this one….My birthday, is next week, and I hope it turns up in my “haul”! This is one fantastic book! [I might even venture to say, I think I’m looking forward to this, {everyone forgive me}….more than Beadle The Bard!] What a great job. And a Forward, by JKR, herself! WOW!!!!!

Posted by Confederate Lady on November 05, 2008, 12:26 PM report to moderator
karen (the one without the avatar!)

Congratulations, Melissa. I can’t wait for it to hit the bookshelves here in England so I can get my hands on it!

Posted by karen (the one without the avatar!) on November 05, 2008, 01:05 PM report to moderator
Elaine

Congrats on the great article, Melissa – being front page news is so cool! And the book is wonderful – I read it over the weekend, and loved re-living my memories of discovering the books and meeting Jo at a signing and discovering the online world of fellow HP lovers – it made me laugh and cry and gasp. You did such a great job!

Posted by Elaine on November 05, 2008, 01:17 PM report to moderator
Jenifer

Lets leave the partisan posts to the news sites, shall we hpboy13? Our country reached a momentous milestone today, no matter who you support, and since the very theme of the harry potter books is about standing up for others and against bigotry, we should be proud as a country.

Posted by Jenifer on November 05, 2008, 02:13 PM report to moderator
Lily

I got my copy yesterday, and had it read in about 8 hours!!! Thank to HP I love to read not, I would never read before, it was hard now i read a lot!!!

Posted by Lily on November 05, 2008, 02:42 PM report to moderator
Lily

OOPps, messed up, the NOT is not suppost to be there!!! sorry for 2 post!

Posted by Lily on November 05, 2008, 02:44 PM report to moderator
Ann Marie

Have my copy now and reading it slowly so to allow plenty of time for the memories to be savoured. Enjoying it a lot, it’s interesting to get a different persepective on all the past years plus so much fsacinating info on the website setup and everything. Well done Melissa!

Posted by Ann Marie on November 05, 2008, 02:45 PM report to moderator
Lucas

I got my copy yesterday. I’ve read the first three chapters and I have to say its a very good book. Worth a read. GREAT JOB MELISSA!!!

Posted by Lucas on November 05, 2008, 04:29 PM report to moderator
KatetheKeeper

I just started it yesterday, I can’t wait ot read the rest. Congrats, Melissa!

Posted by KatetheKeeper on November 05, 2008, 04:39 PM report to moderator
Carebie

I had gone to Barnes and Noble yesterday, and they either didn’t have it or were hiding it. The employees were very busy and I spent 30 mins walking around the store looking for a copy. I had to go out of town today and so I stopped at the Borders on my way home and they had it, very easy to find in a section that screamed HARRY POTTER BOOKS HERE! and there right next to a special edition copy of the Deathly Hallows was Melissa’s book. I am reading the last book in the Prydain Chronicles right now, so as soon as that is finished I will jump into Harry a History.

Posted by Carebie on November 05, 2008, 04:52 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

"I have already told you," said Snape smoothly, "that I have no further stocks of Veritaserum. Unless you wish to poison Potter -- and I assure you I would have the greatest sympathy with you if you did -- I cannot help you. The only trouble is that most