USA Today Features "Harry, A History" by Melissa Anelli

Harry, A History
November 04, 2008, 10:57 PM

Today,  Harry, A History, the new book about the Harry Potter phenomenon written by TLC webmistress Melissa Anelli, has officially been released. As such, the USA Today newspaper takes a closer look at the book, with an article that also contains new comments from Melissa who says that the world of Harry Potter  "is so pleasant to spend time in,"  and the world of the online fandom such as we have here at the Leaky Cauldron "is still a joy every day. There are still people doing fan art, discussing the books."

With editor Jennifer Heddle saying "it will appeal to both hard-core fans and casual readers," the article notes that Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling did write the foreward to Harry, A History, as "Rowling reveals it wasn't until 2002 — five years after her first Harry book — that she went online and looked at the vast Potter Web world. "The tale of the online fandom is every bit as extraordinary as Harry's own," she writes, "and it has left me with a feeling of awe and gratitude."

As the series is now complete, there are some fans still holding out hope for more from the beloved magical world of Harry Potter,  and Melissa weighs in on the matter: "I do think there is a chance," she says. "If she returns to it, the book will be about Albus Severus Potter (son of Harry and Ginny Potter). The eighth book they said would never happen!"

You can find out more about Harry, A History via the book's website, or discuss your thoughts and reactions to the book, here in our forums. Harry, A History is available now.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Harry, A History News

twiwizardjedi

Congrats on the book and the fantastic publicity piece in USA Today! Wishing you much success.

Posted by twiwizardjedi on November 04, 2008, 11:11 PM report to moderator
Witchard

Definitely going to pick this up at some point :)

Posted by Witchard on November 04, 2008, 11:35 PM report to moderator
HP-Appreciator

This is very cool, this cover of USA Today. :) Only overshadowed by Barack Hussein Obama being elected 44th President of the United States of America. :-)

Posted by HP-Appreciator on November 04, 2008, 11:35 PM report to moderator
hpboy13

That’s so awesome! Though I must say, an interesting choice to have the book come out on election day – was it an attempt to gain publicity, to have people find solace in the book away from the horrid state of our politics? Can’t wait to go to the signing tomorrow!

Posted by hpboy13 on November 04, 2008, 11:47 PM report to moderator
Justin the Mighty

I thought I was freaking out in my head when I saw the cover today. I was counting the newspapers at the end of the night (part of my job) and I saw Melissa’s face peeking out at me. I actually bought the issue. (Keeping an eye on CNN coverage of the election has kept me from reading it so far, but I promise to read it tonight. Hehehe.) I’m also picking the book up on Friday at my local Borders. Can’t wait to start reading it. :)

Posted by Justin the Mighty on November 05, 2008, 12:05 AM report to moderator
Carebie

I saw the cover of the USA and laughed, GO Mellisa and Go Harry Potter!

Posted by Carebie on November 05, 2008, 12:09 AM report to moderator
nancy

I am hooked on this book. It is absolutely addicting and I continue to get goosebumps in remembering where I was when I first heard of HP & the decision to read the stories — thank you Jennifer & Mom!!!

Posted by nancy on November 05, 2008, 12:26 AM report to moderator
zephystephy

Congrats!!! Just got mine, and I’m halfway done! Its such a great representation of the fandom! I love it!

Posted by zephystephy on November 05, 2008, 12:31 AM report to moderator
jamie

Gee, congratulaitons on being a published writer. That’s what you get for being an HP fanatic. YOu go places.

BTW, Other sites are posting a JKR interview for this book about how she was tempted to have a Harry and Hermione pairing. I guess this admission is a perfect payback for all the “delusional” comments that the H/Hr shippers have to suffer through the years. Har har

Posted by jamie on November 05, 2008, 12:43 AM report to moderator
HermyG13

I bought the book today and was pleasantly surprised to see Melissa in my copy of the USA Today while reading during lunch on campus!

Posted by HermyG13 on November 05, 2008, 01:10 AM report to moderator
Martha

Congrats Melissa!

Posted by Martha on November 05, 2008, 01:22 AM report to moderator
Jim

Jamie, that’s not what Jo said about Harry and Hermione at all. I suggest you read the quotes more carefully.

Posted by Jim on November 05, 2008, 02:32 AM report to moderator
Kami

When is this released in Australia?

But this is so cool that Melissa is being interviewed and getting such positive reviews :)

Posted by Kami on November 05, 2008, 04:45 AM report to moderator
wolffriend

Way to go Melissa! Congratulations!!!

Posted by wolffriend on November 05, 2008, 09:11 AM report to moderator
Barb

It’s a wonderful read and an entertaining one, too. Melissa, your storytelling talent is absolutely the best gift you could give all of us!

Posted by Barb on November 05, 2008, 09:32 AM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"I think," said Harry hurriedly, at a meaningful look from Nick, "Nick's very -- frightening and -- er --"[br]"Ha!" yelled Sir Patrick's head. "Bet he asked you to say that!"