Tom Felton Talks Malfoy Manor, Draco and his father Lucius Malfoy, and More in New Interview

Felton Interviews
November 30, 2008, 09:51 PM

GoodPrattle.com let us know about a lengthy new interview they did with Tom Felton, where the actor speaks about scenes in the upcoming Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Deathly Hallows and the Harry Potter book series. There are several pieces of note in the interview which you can read via this link. Of particular interest is the following on the development of the character of Draco, his relationship with his father Lucius Malfoy, and Draco's torment during the course of Half-Blood Prince. Quotage:

We also get to see that he’s not doing what he is doing for Voldemort so much as for his family.
Completely, yeah. Sure. But it’s all in the eyes of his father, isn’t it, really? Normally it’s locked away, but now he feels like he’s the man of the house and he needs to sort of represent the Malfoy Manor to the fullest, really, and, yeah, he’s not built from the same stuff as young Harry is. He’s not cut from the same cloth, by any means, and he certainly can’t hold his nerve when he needs to.

Yeah. What sort of relationship do you think he has with his father?
A very interesting one, actually! I mean, mostly he idolizes his father to every last degree, and equally, I’m sure, he’s terrified of his father! He’s absolutely petrified, and I think most things are done maybe 20% fully from the fear that he might get another clock around the ear! I’d be intrigued to hear what Joanne Rowling would have to say about that.

Yeah. Certainly, he’s not the most decent person, but he has a reason, because he’s had a very different sort of upbringing.
Sure. I mean, one thing for sure is he’s not the way he is out of chance. He’s well and truly been brought up that way, if that makes sense. In this film coming up, I think the ultimate goal that David Yates [the director] and I sat down and spoke earlier on is that we want to make him to do some of these horrible things and to instigate some terrible notions but at the same time—for the audience to hate him, as they always have done, naturally, but also to feel terrifically sorry for him and to empathize with the situation that he’s in, because, in modern terms, you’ve been given a gun and told to shoot the Prime Minister or the President. He’s been given a task that, really, he’s not up for.

It’s like, “Do this or we’ll kill your family.” Essentially.
Completely. Completely, and that’s a tough time for anyone to be in, especially a child.

Yeah, absolutely. And with the progression of the films the director’s chair has been passed along to different people, so I’m sure that also affected not only your portrayal but also the understanding of the role.
Sure, completely. I mean, one thing that was quite important for me was to not think of book number seven and not think—he almost goes slightly back in number seven, back into his old sort of gittish ways—

Almost.
Yeah, I know there’s sort of a lovely sort of odd scene in the Malfoy Manor in which he chooses not to rat them out—I think he chooses not to recognize young Harry, which is quite a big thing!

Nor to recognize Hermione.
Yeah, there’s quite a bit of mystery about his character from this one onward, really! I think that he definitely had a sort of revelation inside where he doesn’t quite know where he is or who he is or what he’s doing. And there’s a great scene in this one where he runs into the bathroom after hearing that he’s hurt someone and he breaks down and he can’t handle it any more, which is, again, a really interesting side to see of someone who’s such a slimy git! [laughs]

Speaking on Deathly Hallows, and the Potter phenom as whole, Tom Felton says:

I think that’s because you won’t ever find another phenomenon that’s fully like the books were.
Yeah. Well, that’s the other side of it, is that you’ll never find another story like it, you know what I mean? Even if you do find another chain of films that goes on for ten years and all the rest of it, you’ll never find—I personally don’t think you’ll find a set of stories that generally get better as they go along. I mean, usually that’s a cliché, and usually they make them worse every year, but going along with the stories, I can only hope that the films are getting better as well. So, yeah, I am pretty intrigued to see what this one will be like, because I haven’t actually watched any of the stuff while we were filming it. I mean, I would see bits of it while we were doing some sound dubbing, but other than that, I’m as much of a virgin to it as you are. So I’m looking forward to that.

Right. You know, also J.K. Rowling has created not only a brilliant set of stories but also this incredible, great, big world into which fans can just go and be fully engaged.
I know! It’s crazy. I think the fan base is one of the most unique things about the books and about the films. The one thing that always, always amazes me is the very range of age. You know, there really isn’t “an age” where Harry Potter is cool—you can be five years old—I’ve seen little kids coming up to the premieres and coming up to the studios, and I’ve seen 78-year-old-men come up to the studios and they’ve been over the moon to meet Daniel [Radcliffe] and so forth. It’s very bizarre, because usually there’s a quite clear divide as to whether it’s sort of a kid’s film or not. We really don’t fall into any category. It’s actually a film for everyone, and it seems to bring out a really fanatical side of moviegoers. I mean, not talking from too much experience, but, of the premieres I’ve been to, the Harry Potter ones have been the craziest without a doubt. [laughs] Especially in America!

Thanks so much Kate!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Felton Interviews News

SRP

Good insights, Tom! Can’t wait to see you in HBP!

Posted by SRP on November 30, 2008, 10:05 PM report to moderator
givemesomeTLC

i’m still not finished laughing at his bunjee jumping video! WHOAAAA! WHOAAAA! did i spell that right?

Posted by givemesomeTLC on November 30, 2008, 10:12 PM report to moderator
caz

good interview, cant be bothered to read it all tho haha :S

Posted by caz on November 30, 2008, 10:28 PM report to moderator
Luna

Very cool! It’s so great to hear from Tom, especially about how Draco’s character changes, and I’m glad that the filmmakers are going to show that depth in his personality in the films.

Posted by Luna on November 30, 2008, 10:51 PM report to moderator
Crown Victoria

I love Tom as Draco. He plays him so well. Its nice to see him digging into the character and actually reading the books to know whats going on **coughGAMBONcough***

Posted by Crown Victoria on November 30, 2008, 11:05 PM report to moderator
YodatheHobbit

I don’t know about some people, but I prefer comments that praise a person without randomly demeaning another who has nothing to do with the story. It’s very impolite.
Can’t wait to see if Tom as Draco has improved his acting the way I thought Dan improved greatly in OOTP.

Posted by YodatheHobbit on November 30, 2008, 11:27 PM report to moderator
Bellatrix's parole officer

Looks like a good interview. Tom Felton is going to have to act his pants off in the next 2 films (but I think he is up to it!). This drew my attention to alot of the ‘psycholodgy’ of Draco that is going on that I hadnt really thought about. Very interesting….cant wait to read more.

Posted by Bellatrix's parole officer on December 01, 2008, 12:42 AM report to moderator
Bellatrix's parole officer

Hey Yoda, I think its okay for Crown Vic to have a dig at Gambon. After all, we are the fans (aka defenders and lovers of the canon) and its almost blasphemous to hear of an actor say he hasnt bothered reading the books we revere, especially as he as involved as portraying one of the characters in the film! How slack is that to not even read the book when it is in front of you and a great source of insight into character psychology! I admire Evanna Lynch and Neville’s actor for boning up on the books.

Posted by Bellatrix's parole officer on December 01, 2008, 12:45 AM report to moderator
Scully

It is not necessary for an actor to read the books on which a script is BASED ( Gambon has read the books, some people just don’t ‘get’ his sense of humour ). As for Felton, I’m looking forward to seeing how he does with the role now there’s a director who requires more depth than just pulling faces.

Posted by Scully on December 01, 2008, 02:08 AM report to moderator
cadd

I am so happy Tom Felton is getting some spotlight. He’s been over shadowed in the movies a lot… I remember I thought he was a much better child actor than the trio in the 2nd movie, but I haven’t seen much of him on the hp movies since. Also, the trio have improved their acting a lot since then, and now I hope Tom Felton also finally can show that he can really act too. Can’t wait till July 09~

Posted by cadd on December 01, 2008, 04:39 AM report to moderator
Marissa

What a great interview! He totally gets the character and the series, too. Can’t wait to see him in the last three films, or the last three films in general! :)

Posted by Marissa on December 01, 2008, 06:59 AM report to moderator
liv

I always enjoy hearing Tom talk. He’s got a great point of view to listen too because I really think he gets his caracter and takes it seriously. Well done Tom!

Posted by liv on December 01, 2008, 08:30 AM report to moderator
Confederate Lady

What a great interview! Very insightful, not only from Mr Felton’s point of view, but his thoughts on “Draco’s point of view” as well! @ Scully: I agree 100%…and YES, Mr Gambon DID read the books.I am not sure why, when someone is unhappy, with a person’s portrayal of a character, they claim that "they haven’t read the books. Sometimes, yes. A statement is made, somewhere “off hand”, “I haven’t read the books, myself” but it’s been over 10 years, now. And actors don’t have the time, sometimes, to stop and read every book for every part they play, from a book.I’m almost sure that Mr Pattinson may have had this difficulty] They do, I’m sure, at some point find the time to sit down [while they’re between films, possibly] to “read the books” Maybe not. But Mr G certainly has… Being here, in the States, many people don’t “get” British humor. Mr Gambon, Mr Grint, Ms Watson and Mr Radcliffe, have it in abundance. I think that will show, especially, in this movie! I am SO looking forward to it. And Mr Felton has given such insight into his character, that I am also looking forward to his portrayal, especially! Sorry about the “rant” folks! Go Tom!

Posted by Confederate Lady on December 01, 2008, 08:40 AM report to moderator
Buffy

When I first started visiting fan sites Tom Felton was such a teenager and his comments reflected that. I don’t mean that in a bad way, I’ve always thought he handled himself well. But he always seemed more interested in girls and fishing and teenager type things. This interview you can see that he has really grown up and grown into himself.

Posted by Buffy on December 01, 2008, 08:47 AM report to moderator
DeliaDee

Great interview. From the trailers and the interviews Tom has given, it seems he really has a handle on Draco and that’s a great thing. He really hasn’t had a chance to spread his wings with this role in past movies – for whatever reason, in the last 2 movies most especially, Draco has been made into a far background window-dressing character. I very much look forward to seeing what he does in this movie.

Completely pointless question alert: Why does he always refer to Harry as “young Harry?” The 2 characters are the same age, after all, and he sounds like he’s referring to a 5 year old. Completely irrelevant, of course. I was just wondering about that.

Posted by DeliaDee on December 01, 2008, 09:23 AM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

He imagined himself explaining that he couldn't do the task... He could almost hear Fleur Delacour saying [i]"I knew it... 'e is too young, 'e is only a little boy."[/i] He saw Malfoy flashing his [i]POTTER STINKS[/i] badge at the front of the crowd, saw