PotterCast Looking for Editors

PotterCast
Posted by: Melissa
November 19, 2008, 12:54 AM

Hey everyone: PotterCast is looking for some editors! Here's the rundown:

You need to be able to edit audio with multiple tracks (there are many programs with which to do this, like Soundtrack Pro; Audacity may be used but it is less desirable). You should have some ability in noise reduction (or at least a filter on your program to help). An editor also needs to be able to listen to the show for the few things in each episode that need to be cut out - John's bad jokes, strange audio artifacts, pauses in recording that occur when the hosts need to look something up/check a fact/use the restroom/tell John off, John's bad jokes, and so on.

If you're interesting in joining the ranks of the best audio editing team on the Leaky Cauldron, here's what you need to do:

We have put together a short sample for you to download and edit together; this is a bit of a dry run for what putting together segments from the show would actually be like. We all record separate tracks; we hit "record" at the same time as well as perform a count on the recording to establish proper sequence / avoid delays. This piece is seven minutes; it's the intro from show 167. You can download the four tracks here:

John
Frak
Sue
Melissa

Download the clips and edit them into one seven-minute conversation; then attach the finished product to an email and send it to staff@pottercast.com with the subject, "John - I want to edit PotterCast!" Include how long it took you to edit the show (be honest, we won't judge...OK, we will, but we're not telling you how long is normal, so there) and what program you used.

Thank you so much and we hope to be working with you soon!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent PotterCast News

Thio

Brianna,
LOL!! So like Hermione to get annoyed by Ron’s ramen obsession!! Poor Ron.
Sometimes I wonder how this couple could ever work!! I love then together… but seriously!! You can’t find someone more perfect to annoy each other than those two!

Posted by Thio on November 19, 2008, 10:21 PM report to moderator
Briana

Thio – Aw, I love them together! Because then I wouldn’t have Rose/Scorpius to go ga-ga over. In my earlier Potter fan days, I was a big Hermione/Draco or Ginny/Draco fan. Anyways, I think that over time, she grows to find it endearing, or really bearable. I know as more of an adult, I let the stuff that bothered me as a kid/teenager roll off my back. shrug

Posted by Briana on November 19, 2008, 10:44 PM report to moderator
Dorkie

ummm…i have a mac osx and those woices wont download. i can hear em but i wanna be able to edit them. HELP!! BTW LoonyLovegood I use Audicity too.

Posted by Dorkie on November 19, 2008, 10:46 PM report to moderator
victoria

i lov hermione and ron as a couple! since when did ron have a ramen obsession……

Posted by victoria on November 19, 2008, 10:47 PM report to moderator
abby_lo

whats ramen? im gonna try 4 this thing…i betta win!

Posted by abby_lo on November 19, 2008, 10:50 PM report to moderator
Briana

Dorkie – Sorry, I have windows, and am unable to help you. Good luck!

Victoria – He never has had an obsession with ramen, I just like to giggle at the thought. :]

abby_lo – Ramen (in my terms) is a package of dried noodles and a little flavor packet inside that contains beef, chicken, or shrimp seasoning. I crumble it up to make it fit in my bowl, put some water from the sink in it, and microwave it for 2 minutes. Then, you mix the seasoning in the packet into it, and it makes a good, filling meal for me. Each packet is usually between 20 cents and 50 cents. I buy the big packs at wal-mart that have 12 for $1.50 or something.

Posted by Briana on November 19, 2008, 10:58 PM report to moderator
Kezzabear

LoonyLovegood – I use Audacity for all my editing. I tried other programs but I just can’t work ’em.

Good Luck to those submitting something, I’m not sure my usual editing would suffice (if you’ve heard PotterFicWWeekly you’ll know why ;) ) I’m like LV up there though, I like editing anything! :P

Posted by Kezzabear on November 20, 2008, 01:24 AM report to moderator
redwall_hp

I did my edit of the clips yesterday and sent an email. Unfortunately I forgot to attach the finished MP3 the first time around, so I double-emailed. :(

Posted by redwall_hp on November 20, 2008, 10:09 PM report to moderator
Cinnamon-Goodness

Is this a paid gig?

Posted by Cinnamon-Goodness on November 21, 2008, 10:15 AM report to moderator
HP_Appreciator

No, this is not a paid gig. It is a free service provided by Harry Potter fans / appreciators to other Harry Potter fans / appreciators. If it were a paid gig, the PotterCasters would probably have to charge a fee for each episode and by this suffer a decline in listeners. Or maybe not. :)

Posted by HP_Appreciator on November 21, 2008, 02:27 PM report to moderator
Me

I would absolutely LOVE to be a Pottercast editor!!!! Sadly, I can’t do the editing right this moment, as my (ahem) mother is rather restrictive as to when I am allowed to use my computer for long periods of time… Sad…

Posted by Me on November 21, 2008, 04:58 PM report to moderator
Briana

WOOOO I’M THE CHOSEN ONE! (but not really – I think this is just the second round o’ auditions) But yeah! I got the go-ahead email!!! airpunches I’m excited :D

Posted by Briana on November 21, 2008, 05:15 PM report to moderator
Pete

I haven’t heard anything…. :(
Does this mean I haven’t got it?

Posted by Pete on November 22, 2008, 10:21 AM report to moderator
redwall_hp

I haven’t heard anything either. Briana’s comment has me a bit worried… :) But if you’ve picked some people, then how about contacting the rest of us? I’d like to know that you actually received and listened to my file, even if I didn’t make the final cut (pun unintended, seriously), and I’m sure the same goes for everybody else.

Posted by redwall_hp on November 23, 2008, 12:50 PM report to moderator

"Want one, Granger?" said Malfoy, holding out a badge to Hermione. "I've got loads. But don't touch my hand, now. I've just washed it, you see; I don't want a Mudblood sliming it up."

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014