PotterCast Looking for Editors

PotterCast
Posted by: Melissa
November 19, 2008, 12:54 AM

Hey everyone: PotterCast is looking for some editors! Here's the rundown:

You need to be able to edit audio with multiple tracks (there are many programs with which to do this, like Soundtrack Pro; Audacity may be used but it is less desirable). You should have some ability in noise reduction (or at least a filter on your program to help). An editor also needs to be able to listen to the show for the few things in each episode that need to be cut out - John's bad jokes, strange audio artifacts, pauses in recording that occur when the hosts need to look something up/check a fact/use the restroom/tell John off, John's bad jokes, and so on.

If you're interesting in joining the ranks of the best audio editing team on the Leaky Cauldron, here's what you need to do:

We have put together a short sample for you to download and edit together; this is a bit of a dry run for what putting together segments from the show would actually be like. We all record separate tracks; we hit "record" at the same time as well as perform a count on the recording to establish proper sequence / avoid delays. This piece is seven minutes; it's the intro from show 167. You can download the four tracks here:

John
Frak
Sue
Melissa

Download the clips and edit them into one seven-minute conversation; then attach the finished product to an email and send it to staff@pottercast.com with the subject, "John - I want to edit PotterCast!" Include how long it took you to edit the show (be honest, we won't judge...OK, we will, but we're not telling you how long is normal, so there) and what program you used.

Thank you so much and we hope to be working with you soon!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent PotterCast News

Vincent

If only I could edit audio.

Posted by Vincent on November 19, 2008, 01:04 AM report to moderator
Amy Darlene

not tech savvy but i found it very heart warming just to randomly listen to John by himself for bit. (frak mentioned it off the cuff once… when you guys were just talking about the vlogs) ..it sounds like he laughs at his own jokes.

ok, i need to sleep.. nighty night

ps. I wonder how much it would take to get Wood into the battle scene. I know it would never happen… but that would be great. ok.. Now I can sleep

hope you find someone good.

Posted by Amy Darlene on November 19, 2008, 01:09 AM report to moderator
Amy Darlene

scratch that…what i meant to say was Wow… my computer would explode if i even attempted to put those programs into my computer. so to those who can.. Woot!

gee … I wonder if this has anything to do with the acting troupe…. hmmmm

Posted by Amy Darlene on November 19, 2008, 01:15 AM report to moderator
Laura

Sorry for suggesting but… why not just edit it yourself? The shows as of late haven’t been edited very well, at least not compared to other podcasts. I just think that if the PotterCasters edited it themselves, it’d be taken care of better.

Posted by Laura on November 19, 2008, 01:32 AM report to moderator
Briana

Laura: They probably don’t have enough time. What with real life and The Leaky Cauldron, I wouldn’t want to have to worry about editing a podcast. Plus, it takes less time with a team of editors than with the four.

Posted by Briana on November 19, 2008, 01:41 AM report to moderator
Miss Freewind

To Laura:

The reason they don’t do it themselves is that they do not have the time and maybe the reason they are asking for editors is because they do not think it has been edited to their usual level and want future podcasts to be edited better.

Posted by Miss Freewind on November 19, 2008, 01:41 AM report to moderator
Courteni

i can try.

Posted by Courteni on November 19, 2008, 02:00 AM report to moderator
Will

Im not good with audio editing, but I am good with video editing. Ah well :D.

Posted by Will on November 19, 2008, 02:16 AM report to moderator
Bre

just hit send… the progress bar for the upload bar is steadily moving along

Posted by Bre on November 19, 2008, 02:45 AM report to moderator
Geekboy

I’d be so bad at this, because I would want to leave in most of the banter and behind the scenes stuff.

Oh yeah, and my internet is unreliable at times, so that wouldn’t be good to have it go down when I would need to upload a show.

But this is something I’d like to do, maybe I’ll give it a shot later when I’m more awake.

Posted by Geekboy on November 19, 2008, 04:16 AM report to moderator
n-xl

Well whoever it is, I’d love it if they would reintroduce a blooper reel at the back end of the podcast. Maybe as a reminder to John to stick to topic.

Posted by n-xl on November 19, 2008, 04:53 AM report to moderator
blu3tick

Gonna give it a shot tonight…. I think i will win…. :)

Posted by blu3tick on November 19, 2008, 06:11 AM report to moderator
nanni

hi im a newbie

Posted by nanni on November 19, 2008, 07:26 AM report to moderator
Professor Potter

Hire me guys, I’m the man. My approach will be to keep all of John Noe’s bad jokes in and edit everything else out except for “Dobby isss freeeeee” . I will pump up the audio with a Hip Hop/dance fusion background soundtrack and several Da Dum drum roll for the John’s jokes peppered with a couple of squees and yays from Sue and Melissa. And I do the best sound editing using Minesweep. I got this job, I can feel it in my bones, I got it!

Posted by Professor Potter on November 19, 2008, 07:56 AM report to moderator
Thio

I could try… but audio is not much of my thing. I bet there are better people for the job around here. Besides… it wouldn’t be the same thing listening to a pottercast that I edited myself. I like to be surprised. =o9

Posted by Thio on November 19, 2008, 08:17 AM report to moderator

"Great Scott, he can fly!" yelled Bagman as the crowd shrieked and gasped. "Are you watching this, Mr. Krum?"