PotterCast 172.5: Bonus Episode - Reacting to the New Trailer

PotterCast
Posted by: Edward
November 17, 2008, 01:32 AM

If you haven't yet seen the brand new Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince trailer, click here to watch or check it out on our YouTube channel.  In this special mini-episode of PotterCast, Melissa, John, and Sue sit down moments after its release to discuss and dissect the latest trailer.  This special show features the PotterCasters going through the one minute and fifty-three second preview of the upcoming sixth film bit by bit and discussion of the new clips of Dumbledore, Slughorn, Ron, Bellatrix, and Harry, along with the darker and more dramatic tone of this trailer.  You can also watch a YouTube video with clips and images from the trailer with the audio reaction of the PotterCasters from the show via this link.  To listen, just hit the "Play" button on the right side of the page (->), or use iTunes, or direct download.

“Reacting to the New Trailer”

- The bridge!
- Lugeing with a wizard.
- Ron did it right.
- We require decorations.
- HighRes ScreenCaps.
- More on future episodes of PotterCast.
- YouTube video with clips from trailer along with the PotterCaster's reactions.

RT: 18:47

Producer: John Noe

LeakyCon 2009: A Harry Potter Conference in Boston
“Harry, A History” Website
Podcast Alley
Digg

Direct download (14 MB).
Direct download low-bandwidth (9 MB).

Remember you don't need an iPod to listen. Listen easily on iTunes, which you can download and install here, by clicking here to listen, or you can just use the streaming Flash player at PotterCast.com or just on the right side of this page. Discussion of the PotterCast is right here. Enjoy!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent PotterCast News

Caroline

Zivlok: Haha, me neither! But that’s my guess at least. :)

And about the girl with the books in the library – I don’t see any books at all in the international trailer, so the levitating books may just be newly added special effects. And I think it’s Harry in that still by the way!

Aphrael: Oh that IS Ginny! Wow. That’s great! I’m also glad that Quidditch is back!

Posted by Caroline on November 17, 2008, 02:52 PM report to moderator
SRP

Zivlok: yep…watch the international trailer then the 3rd trailer and compare the library scenes. I agree that the levitating books are an effect added later.

The mystery profile photo could be/looks like Fenrir Greyback, but his nose doesn’t. Maybe this is another Death Eater that’s attacking the Burrow, maybe Sanquini the vampire (doubt it tho) ?

Another thing I noticed is that in the int’l trailer, there is a scene with Hagrid surrounded by students and he uses his wand to cast a spell. So Hagrid got the use of his wand back and no more hiding it in his pink umbrella?

Is that Alecto and Amycus Carrow with Bellatrix and Greyback in the tower?

It was cool to see the Gryffindor Quidditch team flying out in formation and reading their names and numbers on their cloaks. Go Ginny!!!

Posted by SRP on November 17, 2008, 03:05 PM report to moderator
tovarbaker

hey guys don’t forget that Mad Eye Moody’s eye could see through harry’s cloak (although I gotta say I am slightly troubled that she can see Harry under the cloak)

Posted by tovarbaker on November 17, 2008, 03:05 PM report to moderator
carebie

Yes the Audio was weird, I hear John out of one speaker and Melissa and Sue out of the other speaker and and I had to put my ear to the speakers and switch depending on who was talking to be able to hear, I had the sound all the way up too.

Posted by carebie on November 17, 2008, 03:13 PM report to moderator
Strider

In their reaction to the trailer, John Melissa and Sue were talking about Hermione being upset because of the death of Dumbledore. But she’s wearing a Gryphindor T-shirt. I think it’s rather the scene after the match were she sees Ron kissing Lavender.

Posted by Strider on November 17, 2008, 03:38 PM report to moderator
Strider

And no there’s no such thing as Dumbledore lifting the anti-apparition charm of Hogwarts in the book. They went on brooms. It would be kind of akward seeing that old geezer Michael Gambon sitting on broom wouldn’t it?! That’s probably what WB thought, and MG himself, and a lots of other people. Just another reason not to put that in.

Posted by Strider on November 17, 2008, 03:43 PM report to moderator
Squibby

SRP, it wasn’t Hagrid’s hand with the wand, it was Pr. Mcgonagall, I thought too that it was Hagrid, but then in the next scene I think in international one you can see that it’s Minerva’s hand

Posted by Squibby on November 17, 2008, 04:05 PM report to moderator
Michele

Melissa, Ron’s line asking Harry to introduce him to Romilda is in fact in the book (page 394 US 369 UK). The whole thing starts a few pages back but Ron’s line is on the pages specified.
Harry’s lines are different in the movie clip then from the book but Ron’s line in the book is- Did you say Romilda? Harry do you know her? Can you introduce me?
Also, in the book Harry had cast Levicorpus on Ron so when he said these lines he should be hanging upside down but it looks like they cut that detail from the movie.

Posted by Michele on November 17, 2008, 04:11 PM report to moderator
Stefan M

great pottercast guys, u really made me feel excited about hbp even tho it doesnt come out for another eights months!

Posted by Stefan M on November 17, 2008, 04:26 PM report to moderator
lily_luna

I thought Harry was kissing Cho at first, too, John!

Posted by lily_luna on November 17, 2008, 05:09 PM report to moderator
SRP

my bad….it is Professor McGonnigal casting the spell standing in front of Hagrid. She’s standing between Hermione and Neville. My version is cut off a bit at the bottom but I re-watched it on TrailerAddict.
In the books, the anti-apparition charm is lifted while the students are being taught how to apparate by the Ministry teacher. The movie trailer version looks like Harry and Dumbledore are apparating back to the astronomy tower as Harry is holding Dumbledore up. I must have read or heard about the charm being lifted as an idea to allow them to return to Hogwarts that way.

Posted by SRP on November 17, 2008, 05:16 PM report to moderator
Strider

Yes you were right, I forgot. They indeed lifted the charm temporarily for the lessons, but only in the great hall. The limitations on it however made it so that no one outside the hall could apparate inside nor anyone inside could apparate outside. Well, try and explain that in a two-hour-movie without losing the pase the story is taking.

Posted by Strider on November 17, 2008, 07:26 PM report to moderator
Bowtruckle

I loved this trailer so much… definately the best trailer they have done so far for any Potter movie! Thanks guys for the extra podcast – I love hearing your thoughts and point out stuff I didn’t notice (wish I could do frame by frame!!)

I think the scene with Hermione’s ‘bushy hair’ is after potions class when Harry is the only one truly successful after using info from the ‘potions book’ – no wonder Hermione looks put out :) haha

Posted by Bowtruckle on November 17, 2008, 08:28 PM report to moderator
decarus

You guys said that luna could see through the invisibility cloak. The people who saw the pre-screening said that she could only see particles coming of harry’s head. Luna couldn’t actually see through the invisibility cloak.

Posted by decarus on November 17, 2008, 10:26 PM report to moderator
reginaaa:)

OMG!
wait…
i think hermione is crying cuz she ron and lav lav not
cuz dumbledore died, idk.

but awesome trailerrrr :)

Posted by reginaaa:) on November 17, 2008, 10:33 PM report to moderator

"We're workin' in here today!" Hagrid called happily to the approaching students, jerking his head back at the dark trees behind him. "Bit more sheltered! Anyway, they prefer the dark..."[br]"What prefers the dark?" Harry heard Malfoy say sharply to Crab

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014