Emma Thompson will NOT return as Professor Trelawney for Deathly Hallows films.

Thompson
November 11, 2008, 03:56 PM

Actress Emma Thompson has given a new interview to MTV where she states she will NOT return in her role as Professor Trelawney for the remaining Harry Potter films. Instead she will be making a second Nanny McPhee film, noting "I’m making my own ‘Nanny McPhee’ next year. They mean much more to me.”
She continued:

“The Harry Potters are great big franchises that are something I’m not emotionally attached to or necessarily particularly creatively attached to,” Thompson explained. “That’s more like doing a turn, whereas the Nanny McPhees are something I’ve written. The art is in those films, they’re very handmade, they’re something that’s very close to me. Those are the ones I really care about.”

Thanks much to MTV for mailing!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Thompson News

Tim

emmy – but she can do both!! Wouldn’t you choose both?

Posted by Tim on November 11, 2008, 07:08 PM report to moderator
anne

to follow on from my previous, of course the same can be said of pretty much all the adult HP actors, all of whom are establishment, yet they still stick with the parts and seem to enjoy them.

Posted by anne on November 11, 2008, 07:08 PM report to moderator
emmy

@ Tim

(ok, THIS will be my last post then ;-) )

Maybe I would do both if I could, but you don’t know the circumstances she’s in: sometimes you might try to postpone the shooting of a film, but by that time, the people putting the money in it, may not want to do that anymore. Or specific actors may not have the time on other dates. All sorts of reasons. And also, if she feels it’s important for her to do this now, who are we to say she shouldn’t?

Posted by emmy on November 11, 2008, 07:12 PM report to moderator
GinaC

Wow, that’s too bad. She is certainly entitled to do whatever she’s passionate about in her career, but it probably would have been nicer of her not to come out and say she has no emotional attachment to Potter, even if that’s the case. Oh well, as many others have said, all we’ll miss is her throwing those crystal balls. It would have looked great in the movie as a quick scene in the battle, but this isn’t the end of the world by any stretch of the imagination.

Posted by GinaC on November 11, 2008, 07:14 PM report to moderator
Nicole

w0w…that was a little harsh…i thought she did a really good job. i dont think hallows will b the same w/o her

Posted by Nicole on November 11, 2008, 07:15 PM report to moderator
Tim

- emmy – I really do envy the fact that you are at a point where you can choose the lower paying option because it’s more fun. I’d say the overwhelming majority of people in this world will retire without ever having any idea what that’s like (myself included).

We’re the fans – we’re allowed to whine and complain until the end of the earth! haha Of course we also have the freedom to realize that all of our complaining isn’t going to do anything cough release date cough

Night!

Posted by Tim on November 11, 2008, 07:16 PM report to moderator
GinaC

AND I forgot to say that I really don’t think it was a matter of choosing between the two projects, given the short amount of time it would take to film her one Potter scene. I bet that would only take one day.

Posted by GinaC on November 11, 2008, 07:17 PM report to moderator
KB Prez

Not surprising. Trelawney is incidental to the DH storyline.

I’m happy to see she’s doing another “Nanny McPhee”. I watched the first film only because of her. I didn’t know what to expect really. I thought it was just for kids. LOL. I LOVED it!!! I’ve watched it several times. It is a VERY FUNNY movie with some VERY GOOD actors (adults and kids). I thought Celia Imrie, Angela Lansbury, and Imelda Staunton, in particular, were hilarious!!!

Posted by KB Prez on November 11, 2008, 07:19 PM report to moderator
emmy

Tim, honey, I ain’t rich, on the contrary, I sometimes have to scrape. But I’m happy. So you go get rich, I’ll go get happy. :-)

Funny how Emma Thompson made this convo start! Nite to you too (man I can never just close!)

Posted by emmy on November 11, 2008, 07:19 PM report to moderator
Jupe

There’s a part of me that thinks “Maggie Smith has cancer and she’s still getting it done.”

There’s another part of me that thinks “She’d only have a scene and a half at best – it would probably only take a day.”

There really aren’t any parts of me that see where she’s coming from.

Posted by Jupe on November 11, 2008, 07:27 PM report to moderator
Tim

emmy (award winner? hehe) I’ve actually had this discussion with quite a number of people. Being rich won’t make you happy, I think we can agree with that but what having money does do is it removes the stress associated with scraping by or not being able to provide for your family. The majority of stress for the poor and middle class is “am I going to be able to afford my bills.” Financial stress is easily one of the worst stresses out there because you can’t just go workout or de-stress and be done with it, it’s with you until you figure out what to do about it. Every single time you eat, every single time you drive somewhere, every time you turn the heat on, your finances run through your head if you’re under immense financial stress. I mean, if you can manage that stress and be happy then more power to you but I think that makes like maybe 5 of you type of people in the world! ;)

Posted by Tim on November 11, 2008, 07:29 PM report to moderator
emmy

Emma has no stress. She’s already earned all the money she needs

Posted by emmy on November 11, 2008, 07:33 PM report to moderator
Melanie

She’s replaceable, she didn’t have to put down HP in the process of saying she wouldn’t be returning, that was uncalled for. I’m pretty sure someone else can handle the role if they even need the character.

Posted by Melanie on November 11, 2008, 07:33 PM report to moderator
Tim

I wasn’t actually talking about her – I was talking about you since you said you scrape by sometimes. I still like the idea of doing it and donating it all to charity :)

Posted by Tim on November 11, 2008, 07:35 PM report to moderator
emmy

I get the charity idea, but you can say that about anybody. And she still has enough money to donate, even when she doesn’t do the HP movie.
When you go out to get something to eat that you don’t really need, or to get, say, a pair of funky socks just cause they’re crazy- you can just as well give some money to the beggar outside the shop where you bought it. But in any case, she’s got the money already. Her choice to not do the HP movie doesn’t make a difference in her choice to donate to charity.

Posted by emmy on November 11, 2008, 07:41 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

"Who's Errol?"[br]"Our owl. He's ancient. It wouldn't be the first time he'd collapsed on a delivery."