Emma Thompson will NOT return as Professor Trelawney for Deathly Hallows films.

Thompson
November 11, 2008, 03:56 PM

Actress Emma Thompson has given a new interview to MTV where she states she will NOT return in her role as Professor Trelawney for the remaining Harry Potter films. Instead she will be making a second Nanny McPhee film, noting "I’m making my own ‘Nanny McPhee’ next year. They mean much more to me.”
She continued:

“The Harry Potters are great big franchises that are something I’m not emotionally attached to or necessarily particularly creatively attached to,” Thompson explained. “That’s more like doing a turn, whereas the Nanny McPhees are something I’ve written. The art is in those films, they’re very handmade, they’re something that’s very close to me. Those are the ones I really care about.”

Thanks much to MTV for mailing!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Thompson News

Hermione Weasley

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!! You’ve got to be kidding me! Harry Potter is the biggest movie franchise in the world, and she’s ditching it for Nanny McPhee!!!!? Nobody likes Nanny McPhee. I saw it and thought it was the most pathetic movie ever. Trelawny is very important in DH, and it just won’t be the same if they have to re-cast her part. She probably wouldn’t have much film time anyway, and it wouldn’t take her long to film the part. I understand she wants to stay with her own movie, but why can’t she do both??? She could simply push back the movie a little bit. I’m sure not many people would mind.

Posted by Hermione Weasley on November 11, 2008, 06:46 PM report to moderator
Tim

emma – no, I judge how much of a phenomenon they are by how much money they make :)

Posted by Tim on November 11, 2008, 06:47 PM report to moderator
Justin

Ha! You’ve got to learn to translate what actors say. Translation: They cut me out of the last two films, so I got no offer."

It always makes more sense that way.

Posted by Justin on November 11, 2008, 06:49 PM report to moderator
emmy

@ Tim,

Then we have different priorities. I prefer going where my heart tells me to go, not where the money is…

So you think Emma’s stupid to leave the HP movies, and I think she’s right to do so, if that’s what she feels she should do. Ok!

Posted by emmy on November 11, 2008, 06:50 PM report to moderator
Hermione Weasley

She must have been out of her mind to even write to even write that movie. Again, nobody cares about Nanny McPhee, she’d most likely get more money from HP anyway!!! She’s throwing her career down the toilet. A lot of HP fans are going to hate her for this

Posted by Hermione Weasley on November 11, 2008, 06:50 PM report to moderator
Hermione Weasley

Where’d my avatar go???

Posted by Hermione Weasley on November 11, 2008, 06:51 PM report to moderator
Jen-en-en-a!!!

Awww. That was kind of cold…but I’m already over it. its great that shes found something that she’s enjoying, but I’ll miss her in DH. Good luck to Emma

Posted by Jen-en-en-a!!! on November 11, 2008, 06:51 PM report to moderator
Linny

You know what, as much as I love Emma Thompson, I totally don’t mind this. She’s got good reasons for going and I think they can cut her out of the story without too much trouble. They can always just have some character mentioning her without her making an actual appearance.

I’m actually watching a film in English with Emma in it, and she really is rather wonderful :)

Posted by Linny on November 11, 2008, 06:53 PM report to moderator
bec majec

That’s a pity, I thought that her character was one of the best cast in the whole series, but, as everyone is saying, it won’t be particularly hard to get around her absence (if someone else isn’t playing her). I was rather looking forward to the crystal ball flinging though “I have more for all who want them”

Posted by bec majec on November 11, 2008, 06:53 PM report to moderator
Tim

Well, you do know that something like 2.5 – 3 times as many people have seen the movies than have bought the books right? I mean, that’s pretty impressive especially considering the state of movies in the non-major territories.

So acting isn’t a business? I’m just saying if they offered her a job and she knew, for a fact, that she could just wait a couple years (or less) to start work on Nanny 2 it seems stupid to look a gift horse in the mouth and turn it down. I mean, it’s essentially free money. How much effort does she really have in these movies? It’s not like she has huge gigantic parts that she has to devout an entire year to.

Posted by Tim on November 11, 2008, 06:55 PM report to moderator
Linny

@ Hermione Weasley: Get over yourself. She’s making a personal decision, you have no right to decide what she should do with her career. No reasonable person would hate her over this choice.

Some people must care about Nanny McPhee else they wouldn’t be making a sequel.

Posted by Linny on November 11, 2008, 06:56 PM report to moderator
Linny

@ Tim: Emma does not especially need money. She is an artist, and I reckon she’d much rather spend a year creating a deep and interesting character that she’s proud of, than walk onto a set and say a couple of lines.

Posted by Linny on November 11, 2008, 06:59 PM report to moderator
Tim

Linny – well, be a generous human being and do it and donate it all to charity. There’s literally millions of people dying of starvation. If she doesn’t care about the money just donate it all. Even if she did DH she’d still have a year to create a deep and interesting character that she’s proud of. This isn’t an either or situation – she can very, very, very easily do both with no consequences at all – that’s what makes it a bad decision. If it was either/or – fine but it’s not, not even close. I’m inclined to think Justin is right…

Posted by Tim on November 11, 2008, 07:03 PM report to moderator
emmy

@ Tim,

Just one last post: I work in the movie business, and I have turned down jobs with more pay, so I could do a job that earns less money, but that is way more fun to work on. And not just the movie business, any kind of job: you can either always go for the money and only do things that have the most attention, or you can sometimes choose something that gets you less money and less attention, but is still something that makes you feel good…

Anyways – goodnite!

Posted by emmy on November 11, 2008, 07:04 PM report to moderator
anne

Tho I’m disappointed in her comments, because as Eeyore says, they do come across as snooty (I have always found her a bit like that though), she is a great actress. Those saying she’s throwing her career away obviously don’t know just how much part of the acting establishment she is (in the UK). She will always have work and HP are and were never essential to building or maintaining her career. She was already firmly established long before they came along.

Posted by anne on November 11, 2008, 07:04 PM report to moderator

"If you want to kill Harry, you'll have to kill us too!" he said fiercely, though the effort of standing upright was draining him of still more color, and he swayed slightly as he spoke.