Emma Thompson will NOT return as Professor Trelawney for Deathly Hallows films.

Thompson
November 11, 2008, 03:56 PM

Actress Emma Thompson has given a new interview to MTV where she states she will NOT return in her role as Professor Trelawney for the remaining Harry Potter films. Instead she will be making a second Nanny McPhee film, noting "I’m making my own ‘Nanny McPhee’ next year. They mean much more to me.”
She continued:

“The Harry Potters are great big franchises that are something I’m not emotionally attached to or necessarily particularly creatively attached to,” Thompson explained. “That’s more like doing a turn, whereas the Nanny McPhees are something I’ve written. The art is in those films, they’re very handmade, they’re something that’s very close to me. Those are the ones I really care about.”

Thanks much to MTV for mailing!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Thompson News

NuttyAsSP

How long would it take to film her throwing a few crystal balls in front of a green screen? And lemme guess, she would get say $200k for it, too? Life is unfair.

Second thought – If WB can chuck out S.P.E.W. they can do without Trelawney.

Let me guess – they are going to chuck Bill and Phlegm’s wedding too.

Posted by NuttyAsSP on November 11, 2008, 05:46 PM report to moderator
emmy

I don’t think she’s interested in being remembered as Trelawney. She just wants to do what feels best for her

Posted by emmy on November 11, 2008, 05:47 PM report to moderator
susan schmidt

I guess having a ginormous ego helps when you’re an actor, but she didn’t need to to that — trash the HP movies and books to promote her own. I’m not in an uproar over it but I think it reflects rather badly on her that she said those things.

I would have not thought of it a moment — except to be disappointed, because I thought she did a brilliant job of portraying that HP character — if she had just said “Unfortunately I just don’t have time. I’m writing a new Nanny McPhee movie …” etc.

It isn’t the “franchise” that looks superficial now — it’s her.

Posted by susan schmidt on November 11, 2008, 05:48 PM report to moderator
emmy

@ NuttyAsSP

Krum sees Lovegood’s Hallows pendant at the wedding, so that’s important.
(If I remember it correctly?)

Posted by emmy on November 11, 2008, 05:49 PM report to moderator
emmy

@ susan schmidt

How did she trash the HP movies? With what words? I don’t seem to have read them. I don’t think she trashed anything.

Posted by emmy on November 11, 2008, 05:50 PM report to moderator
Professor Cassandra

Aw, that’s a shame. She’s one of my favorite actresses, and it makes me sad that she’s not attached to the series. :(

Posted by Professor Cassandra on November 11, 2008, 05:55 PM report to moderator
Rik Potter

In addition to my previous post, I think she may lose some fans because of this. Yes, Nanny McPhee is great, but it will never compare to Harry Potter. Ever. She is giving up a chance to endear herself to even more fans, and to establish herself further as part of the Harry Potter universe. I understand actors/writers have projects they’re particularly fond of, but Harry Potter is so huge…there hasnt been anything like this in a long, long time, and when you have a chance to be a part of something so world-affecting, dont you want to give it your all and contribute as much as you can?

Posted by Rik Potter on November 11, 2008, 05:58 PM report to moderator
Weird One

I am saddened that she won’t be in DH, I wanted to see her chucking crystal balls too. I really enjoy and appreciate Emma, I thought she was really funny. Can’t blame her for wanting to make a full feature movie of her own. sigh……

Posted by Weird One on November 11, 2008, 06:04 PM report to moderator
chloepotter

how can you leave something as magical and successful as Harry Potter
for something like Nanny McPhee?
I mean really!

Posted by chloepotter on November 11, 2008, 06:07 PM report to moderator
obseedwithhp

I am very dissapointed in her, i hope she can read these statement and
see how upset she is making fans, i have lost so much respect for her.

Posted by obseedwithhp on November 11, 2008, 06:10 PM report to moderator
Carebie

I was straining to remember anything about Trelawney in the 7th book, she throws some crystal balls off the castle, but that’s it. Maybe a flash back scene from Snape. But really neither of those scene’s will it matter if they have Emma Thompson or not they already have a recording of her voice. There is a good chance she wasn’t going to be in the script anyway. Its cool to have a famous person in a bit part, and I love her so much and its sad can’t be involved. But she is such an amazing screen writer and talent that I understand that she wants to devote herself to her projects.

Posted by Carebie on November 11, 2008, 06:13 PM report to moderator
Tim

It’s just a bad career move. Let’s say you’re a VP (one of, say, 10-15) of a widely successful company. You’re well known for it, you get paid well for it and, ultimately, you really don’t have to do that much work. The CEO comes around and says we’d like to keep you as VP, you say, nah, that’s ok, I’ve been wanting to try my hand at running a pizza parlor again. Is that admirable? Of course! Is that a good business decision? Heck no, that’s a horrible business decision. Let’s just be honest here – big time acting is a business. If it was just for the love of movies or cinema they’d agree to get paid as much as the unknowns on Broadway (not that much). They are just like the rest of us – they use their talents to make money and she’s leaving huge sums on the table. Not to mention the fact that she might actually get MORE people to go see Nanny McPhee if she continues on with DH. Look at Equus – perfect example of the “HP Halo Effect”

Posted by Tim on November 11, 2008, 06:14 PM report to moderator
emmy

@ Rik Potter and others

Don’t mix the HP movies with the books. Never forget, it’s the BOOKS that are so incredibly amazing. The movies are good too, but they’re not as great as the books! If there would have been something like ‘Emma Thompson doesn’t allow JK Rowling to write about the Trelawney character in her next book’ – THEN it’d be a horrible thing. But the movies are something different! The BOOKS are the phenomenon, not the movies…

Posted by emmy on November 11, 2008, 06:15 PM report to moderator
anne

hmmm, I’m not that impressed. She should feel privileged to be part of the franchise imo, but then she is a good actress who has probably never been out of work, so doesn’t need to be privileged I suppose. I thought she was great as Trelawny in OotP, that scene I find very emotional each time I watch it. But the character is not that essential to the end of the series.

Posted by anne on November 11, 2008, 06:23 PM report to moderator
Arithmancer

Aww… bummer. I’m glad we had her for a couple films, at least. Can’t expect everyone to’ve been bitten by the Potter bug, I guess.

On the upside, I’m now feeling inspired to put Nanny McPhee on my list of Movies to Watch. :)

Posted by Arithmancer on November 11, 2008, 06:25 PM report to moderator

Perhaps it was because he was now so busy, what with Quidditch practice three evenings a week on top of all his homework, but Harry could hardly believe it when he realized that he'd already been at Hogwarts two months. The castle felt more like home than