Emma Thompson will NOT return as Professor Trelawney for Deathly Hallows films.

Thompson
November 11, 2008, 03:56 PM

Actress Emma Thompson has given a new interview to MTV where she states she will NOT return in her role as Professor Trelawney for the remaining Harry Potter films. Instead she will be making a second Nanny McPhee film, noting "I’m making my own ‘Nanny McPhee’ next year. They mean much more to me.”
She continued:

“The Harry Potters are great big franchises that are something I’m not emotionally attached to or necessarily particularly creatively attached to,” Thompson explained. “That’s more like doing a turn, whereas the Nanny McPhees are something I’ve written. The art is in those films, they’re very handmade, they’re something that’s very close to me. Those are the ones I really care about.”

Thanks much to MTV for mailing!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Thompson News

Emma

What a shame, I love her as Trelawney, and it’s not like she would have had to spend a huge amount of time filming – a day or two at most.

But best of luck to her with the Nanny McPhee franchise.

Posted by Emma on November 11, 2008, 04:47 PM report to moderator
Maddie

Fair enough.

Posted by Maddie on November 11, 2008, 04:54 PM report to moderator
Graymayne

Although I have admired Emma Thompson’s work for years, I was disappointed in her Professor Trelawney. Perhaps the fault lay with the directors, but, for me, it was a caricature not a character. I wish her well with Nanny McPhee.

I don’t recall Trelawney having any dialogue in DH, so I don’t think WB would have considered asking Emma to turn up for a walk on part. I don’t think they would have any difficulty in selecting someone of a similar build and kitting them out with a wig and huge glasses to take part in the battle of Hogwarts. I’m pretty sure they rejected Sean Biggerstaff (Oliver Wood) for the same financial reasons. Business is business.

Posted by Graymayne on November 11, 2008, 04:56 PM report to moderator
Billy

Darn I was looking forward to her dropping crystal balls on people’s heads! :(

Posted by Billy on November 11, 2008, 04:57 PM report to moderator
rupertgrintILY

Ame, i think she means their homemade for her, because she wrote the [“whereas the Nanny McPhees are something I’ve written.”] so obviously she’d be more dedicated to those, over something she had a small (but hilarious) role in, and Nanny Mcphee will be much more important to her, personally i would have loved her to do both! but apparently that wasnt an option..

..but all the best to her with this new Nanny McPhee!

Posted by rupertgrintILY on November 11, 2008, 04:59 PM report to moderator
Alake

there’s surely something else going on here… it’s virtually impossible that they can’t work out some time for a couple of scenes. Anyone can portray Trellawney from a distance with a well placed wig so she won’t be needed in big scenes, and I don’t remember her haing much of a role in DH that couldn´t be sorted in a few days record. This smells.

Posted by Alake on November 11, 2008, 05:00 PM report to moderator
Lorelai

wow. i cant believe this. i always loved her in the movies. :(
i hope they find a good person to take her place.

Posted by Lorelai on November 11, 2008, 05:03 PM report to moderator
Phillip

WOW. I’m not happy about this at all….it seemed that she fit that character….now i wonder who will be taking her spot…

Posted by Phillip on November 11, 2008, 05:06 PM report to moderator
waltponce

GOOD FOR HER!

Posted by waltponce on November 11, 2008, 05:06 PM report to moderator
Lynn

I think she’s great as Trelawney, but I also think she’s probably right about the HP films. David Thewlis also recently mentioned something similiar about them recently, too. She’s very talented and creative, and more power to her for choosing roles and projects she finds truly fulfilling. I imagine many of the HP actors aren’t as attached to their roles as we like to think they are.
I hope she’s in HBP, though.

Posted by Lynn on November 11, 2008, 05:07 PM report to moderator
Amy.

Ho hum, well, I’ve always loved Emma Thompson but since I saw her say proudly that she’s never watched the original Brideshead Revisited televison series because she was a “punk” and it was “not her thing” I lost some respect for her as it’s unquestionably a masterpiece, and most of those who didn’t see it at the time have remedied that by now… I thought this was a bit harsh on my part, suddenly disliking her for shunning Bridey, but now she’s shunning Potter, too?
Hmph!

Posted by Amy. on November 11, 2008, 05:08 PM report to moderator
jenn.

Tim – you said.. “All that is sarcasm by the way. I’d prefer if they just don’t show her at all – I hate them changing characters. I’m still annoyed with Dumbledore…”
if my memory serves me correctly.. wasnt Prof. Dumbledore played by richard harris, who passed away in about.. 2002? i may be completely wrong but im positive i’m not. so that was a totally needed re-casting, was it not?

& Patrick – you said “she never really was that great of an actress, at least in a harry potter way.” wow, seriously? she’s an amazing actress! what movies have you been watching?.. fair enough if you don’t like her version of Trelawney, but to critisize(pardon my bad spelling) her acting, i find rather, strange..

Posted by jenn. on November 11, 2008, 05:08 PM report to moderator
Rachel

WTF is this women thinking nanny macphee over the last harry potter which will definately be one of the most epic movies ever. someone needs to sort or her priorites

Posted by Rachel on November 11, 2008, 05:08 PM report to moderator
Rachel

Posted by Rachel on November 11, 2008, 05:08 PM report to moderator
Tom M

Does anyone realise that out of the ENTIRE series, we’ve only seen Trelawny in about FOUR scenes!
Its pretty sad. I was hoping she, like most of the teachers, would get a good send off by lobbing some nice, heavy crystal balls at Deatheaters. Shame.
I would like to see more Dursleys in the final film however, as my only criticism of the last book was that Jo discarded them rather quickly, too flippantly.

Posted by Tom M on November 11, 2008, 05:14 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

"I want you in bed, now. All of you," she added, looking around at Fred, George, Ron, and Hermione.[br]"You can't boss us --" Fred began.[br]"Watch me," snarled Mrs. Weasley.