Emma Thompson will NOT return as Professor Trelawney for Deathly Hallows films.

Thompson
November 11, 2008, 03:56 PM

Actress Emma Thompson has given a new interview to MTV where she states she will NOT return in her role as Professor Trelawney for the remaining Harry Potter films. Instead she will be making a second Nanny McPhee film, noting "I’m making my own ‘Nanny McPhee’ next year. They mean much more to me.”
She continued:

“The Harry Potters are great big franchises that are something I’m not emotionally attached to or necessarily particularly creatively attached to,” Thompson explained. “That’s more like doing a turn, whereas the Nanny McPhees are something I’ve written. The art is in those films, they’re very handmade, they’re something that’s very close to me. Those are the ones I really care about.”

Thanks much to MTV for mailing!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Thompson News

Marcheline

Posted by Marcheline on November 12, 2008, 04:22 PM report to moderator
Bruce

I can understand her wanting to focus on a more personal project that’s she’s much more involved with but the harshness towards the HP series is off putting. There’s a feeling like she thinks less of the HP series because it’s such an 800lb gorilla. Maybe she’s upset her best work in movie 5 (eating at the dinner table) was cut from the film?

Best of luck to her. She’s a wonderful actress. I’m just confused by the bitterness of her comments.

Posted by Bruce on November 12, 2008, 08:24 PM report to moderator
A Nonny Mouse

This is disappointing. I think she could have announced her departure without saying she wasn’t emotionally attached. Badly done, Emma.

Posted by A Nonny Mouse on November 13, 2008, 12:18 AM report to moderator
paper

“Nanny McWHAT? Oh, yeah – that movie that went straight to DVD? That movie that no one ever saw? That one? Mmmm… yeah, artistic blahdeblah… sure.”

while I never saw it, nanny mcphee didn’t go straight to dvd. according to boxofficemojo, it was in theaters for over three months and grossed 122 million worldwide. and i dont understand why you seem to be scoffing at the idea that shes doing it for artistic reasons, for if what you claimed about its lack of financial success were true, artistic reasons are about the only thing I can of that would make her want to do a sequal in the first place.

Posted by paper on November 13, 2008, 04:53 AM report to moderator
jenn.

Marcheline, people obviously did watch it or she wouldnt be making another! shes not saying like “its better than HP muhahahaha” shes saying it means more to HER and the lot of you whining are just making yourself look stupid and selfish, its her life and she has to make choices that are best for HER not you. shes actually WRITING nanny mcphee, in HP all she’s doing is throwing crystal balls at DEs, its a shame she isnt in the movie but quit all the Nanny McPhee bashing and hating on Emma, she didn’t say it in the best way, but at least she’s not making up BS reasons.
Bruce, she isnt being harsh to HP, shes saying shes not emotionally attached, shes not saying she “thinks less” of HP, just obviously writing a movie is going to be higher on anyones list of priorities than a small role in a movie.

Posted by jenn. on November 13, 2008, 04:53 AM report to moderator
pottershrink

Bee, when did Alan Rickman indicate that he didn’t much care about the movies? This is the first I’ve heard of it. I always thought, given the care he has taken to match movie Snape to book Snape (unlike Gambon), his complete care not to reveal anything about the character in the interests of protecting the innocence of children’s involvement with the story, and his being in the know with Jo, that he cared very much indeed.

Am I missing something?!

Posted by pottershrink on November 13, 2008, 07:50 AM report to moderator
Rosalynn

Can’t she wait until HP is done or do it in between?? I also think that was a very harsh comment from her. If she really wanted to she could make it work with both films but it’s apparent she didn’t care about HP. How sad. Oh well hopefully they get someone better. I didn’t care for her too much.

Posted by Rosalynn on November 13, 2008, 08:04 AM report to moderator
Jessie Rose

Why does she not like the fandom like we do? I get that she wants to work on something else, but it shouldn’t take too long to film the scenes for DH, at least. That was my favorite part of the Hogwarts battle, Trelawney throwing the crystal balls. I am a little bit mad.

Posted by Jessie Rose on November 13, 2008, 10:08 AM report to moderator
iyamjody

Yeah, I think that is all a bunch of bull. She’s probably mad because they wouldn’t work around her schedule. I mean lets be honest here. She can pick the movie where she has a couple lines or the one she stars in. It has nothing to do with all that artsy fartsy stuff. lol

Posted by iyamjody on November 13, 2008, 12:17 PM report to moderator
Thio

Posted by Thio on November 13, 2008, 02:14 PM report to moderator
Callisto Lamia

Sad…. I like Thompson, she is a wonderful actress, but yes it is her choice, I would die to be able to play a part in the films (I won’t of course, but at least I will be playing a Hogwarts teacher here in Berlin next year! And I will not be doing it for the money, since I won`t get much for it!)
I will miss her though. If she really did not feel that attached to it, the better an actress she must be, for in the films it sure looks as though she is having more than a little fun doing it (remember the outtakes on the DVD for OotP, AWESOME!)

Posted by Callisto Lamia on November 13, 2008, 02:43 PM report to moderator
Jessie

What?! No! NOOOO!!!

Posted by Jessie on November 13, 2008, 03:25 PM report to moderator
NuttyAsSP

Maybe JKR could do Prof. Trelawney as a cameo.

Posted by NuttyAsSP on November 13, 2008, 05:46 PM report to moderator
harrypotterfantw

Her choosing another film over Harry Potter may seem awful to people on here, but you have to remember, that this is a fansite for Harry Potter, people on here naturally are huge fans of the Harry Potter series (like myself.) That doesn’t mean everyone is, and I can see what she means by her point. She is portraying a book character when she plays Prof Trelawny. She doesn’t have much room to work on her character, as her character has to match the already clearly defined character of Trelawny, at least in films like Nanny McPhee she can make the character her own. She’s a good actress, and her part in the Harry Potter films wasn’t huge anyway. If they feel that in need of a Prof Trelawny, they’ll find one!

Posted by harrypotterfantw on November 13, 2008, 06:40 PM report to moderator
Lindsey

How much did the first Nanny McPhee make again? Like, 100 dollars? Hey, man . . it’s her life. She’s not even IN Deathly Hallows . . . it’s too bad though, but the films won’t suffer with her gone.

Posted by Lindsey on November 13, 2008, 07:38 PM report to moderator

"If we stop now, we'll have to forfeit the match!" said Harry. "And we're not losing to Slytherin just because of a crazy Bludger! Come on, Oliver, tell them to leave me alone!"[br]"This is all your fault," George said angrily to Wood. "'Get the Snitch or