Emma Thompson will NOT return as Professor Trelawney for Deathly Hallows films.

Thompson
November 11, 2008, 03:56 PM

Actress Emma Thompson has given a new interview to MTV where she states she will NOT return in her role as Professor Trelawney for the remaining Harry Potter films. Instead she will be making a second Nanny McPhee film, noting "I’m making my own ‘Nanny McPhee’ next year. They mean much more to me.”
She continued:

“The Harry Potters are great big franchises that are something I’m not emotionally attached to or necessarily particularly creatively attached to,” Thompson explained. “That’s more like doing a turn, whereas the Nanny McPhees are something I’ve written. The art is in those films, they’re very handmade, they’re something that’s very close to me. Those are the ones I really care about.”

Thanks much to MTV for mailing!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Thompson News

s

Dear Emma: We will miss you! You are a great actress, I’ve loved you in all the diverse roles you played. Won’t you please reconsider for your fans? Surely the filming of the 2 movies could be coordinated to allow you to do both. I can’t imagine anyone else as Trelawny.

Posted by s on November 12, 2008, 10:40 AM report to moderator
Professor Potter

I reckon about 80% of comments here are supportive of Emma’s decision which is re-assuring because I was a little concerned with the flurry of scathing comments on page 1.

In all honesty, I think most of the actors enjoying the Potter productions because they are amongst friends, money is good, and most of their children are proud of them to be involved. I dont think they are at pure bliss with the actual challenges of the roles they play itself. But they are professionals. They submit all the talent they have into their roles, large or small, and are honoured to be involved. Emma is no exception. She was just simply faced with a choice to make and weighing out the little significance of her Trelawney role, it was ultimately a no brainer choice to make.

And yeah, I’d like to join Confederate Lady and others to thank Emma for her wonderful contribution to the series.

Posted by Professor Potter on November 12, 2008, 10:59 AM report to moderator
redbeard

Maaaaybe a wee bit harsh Chrno?

Posted by redbeard on November 12, 2008, 12:08 PM report to moderator
Nico

OUCH!

Posted by Nico on November 12, 2008, 12:11 PM report to moderator
Malissa

Funny thing is I couldn’t get my kids to even watch Nanny McPhee. They thought it was stupid. I didn’t care for it much either. When a new Harry Potter comes out we see it opening day. We buy the video the day it is released. I guess Emma is too good for us. She should have never taken the roll in the first place. She has lost this fan.

Posted by Malissa on November 12, 2008, 12:18 PM report to moderator
scribe58

Emma wrote the story she will be starring in. I think she should do what she loves. She will be missed, but I will be happy that she is following her heart. Isn’t that what Jo did and isn’t that what we are taught by the books?

Posted by scribe58 on November 12, 2008, 12:24 PM report to moderator
splinched

honestly, correct me if I’m wrong, but she only appears in a flashback when she tells dumbledore the prophecy and snape overhears right? I don’t remember alot of her in the last book. with everything going on she can be skipped over I’m sure, she was pivitol in POA though.

Posted by splinched on November 12, 2008, 12:41 PM report to moderator
izziewitch

I think the bigger disappointment is that she isn’t in HBP, so no one tells Harry about Snape’s overhearing the prophecy; that’s a major plot point ignored.

Posted by izziewitch on November 12, 2008, 12:59 PM report to moderator
DL_Hector

Well, Trelawney doesn’t really have a big part in DH, she just shoves crystal balls to the death eaters, and that particular bit seemed a bit comical to me… but not in a good way, like Percy resigning, but in a sort of… well, ridiculous way, just like Trelawney is… and well, she doesn’t love the series… it’s good she portrays a character I don’t particularly like…

Posted by DL_Hector on November 12, 2008, 01:47 PM report to moderator
aughra

Potter-fan, Schmotter-fan. If we waiting for fans to be good enough performers to do a role well, we’d be waiting until doomsday for the first movie!

Emma’s a fine actress. And I fully understand her being bored with cameos, which is really all Trelawney’s role is, at this point. She has a real commitment to something good: more power to her!

Posted by aughra on November 12, 2008, 03:09 PM report to moderator
ScottMan

While I’ll miss her in DH, I can understand her decision. Nanny McPhee is more her creation, while her part in Harry Potter is really just a job.

Posted by ScottMan on November 12, 2008, 03:13 PM report to moderator
bee

ouuuuuchhh.
it seems a lot of the more experienced actors really don’t feel ‘creatively or emotionally attached to the films’ to be honest.
i mean both allan rickman and michael gambon (forgive me for spelling their names wrong), have made it quite clear they really don’t bother putting much effort into it.
sad really, seeing as there are probably hundreds of unknowns out there whod be perfect for the role.

Posted by bee on November 12, 2008, 03:39 PM report to moderator
Tim

Well i can’t say i liked her character she was potrayed as sort of weak and helpless. Which i don’t recall that of her character in the book

Posted by Tim on November 12, 2008, 03:40 PM report to moderator
Tim

Oh yeah i forgot and a blundering idiot who can not see. Messed up her character with to much comic relief

Posted by Tim on November 12, 2008, 03:41 PM report to moderator
Stefan M

ah well.
pretty disappointed, but i think that as she says she couldn’t care less for the hp films, its better off than forcing her to do a film she doesnt want to do :S

Posted by Stefan M on November 12, 2008, 04:14 PM report to moderator

"What's [i]that?"[/i] said Ron, pointing at a large dish of some sort of shellfish stew that stood beside a large steak-and-kidney pudding.[br]"Bouillabaisse," said Hermione.[br]"Bless you," said Ron.