Emma Thompson will NOT return as Professor Trelawney for Deathly Hallows films.

Thompson
November 11, 2008, 03:56 PM

Actress Emma Thompson has given a new interview to MTV where she states she will NOT return in her role as Professor Trelawney for the remaining Harry Potter films. Instead she will be making a second Nanny McPhee film, noting "I’m making my own ‘Nanny McPhee’ next year. They mean much more to me.”
She continued:

“The Harry Potters are great big franchises that are something I’m not emotionally attached to or necessarily particularly creatively attached to,” Thompson explained. “That’s more like doing a turn, whereas the Nanny McPhees are something I’ve written. The art is in those films, they’re very handmade, they’re something that’s very close to me. Those are the ones I really care about.”

Thanks much to MTV for mailing!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Thompson News

Diluvia

Nonsense … If she doesn’t want to play Trelawney just have the studio call me … I’m the right age and very passionate about the Potter franchise … and I have the right hair :-)

Posted by Diluvia on November 12, 2008, 08:19 AM report to moderator
Diluvia

… oh and VERY THICK GLASSES :-)

Posted by Diluvia on November 12, 2008, 08:20 AM report to moderator
liv

This is a huge shock for me and I feel really sad. Thompson really became my Trelawney film after film and it’s disappointing and sad to hear she isn’t attached to her character. I’m also angry about the fact that her announcement means Trelawney will by totally cut out of DH, which is a pity since it’s characters like her that give spice to the book, not to mention the films.

Anyway, I respect her decision, but I can’t deny that I’m sad and disappointed.

Posted by liv on November 12, 2008, 08:24 AM report to moderator
Bilius13

Those who do not “get” Harry Potter really don’t “get” it.
Obviously Emma is one who does not “get” it and that’s ok, but in years to come will people remember Nanny Mc-who-ever or Harry Potter?
I don’t need a crystal ball or tea leaves in order to answer this question.

Posted by Bilius13 on November 12, 2008, 08:38 AM report to moderator
Confederate Lady

Well, everyone has a right to do other things, and it is very important that she make the announcement now, instead of after shooting began. I don’t think that there is anything wrong in her decision. She IS a “minor character”, but will be sorely missed. I don’t think “something else is going on here, and we’re only getting part of the story”. I think it is a decision that was HERS to make, and hers alone. @Sarah, it is not a “harsh statement”. As I said, better now, than after filming starts. Very responsible, on her part.
I would like to join in, with cw, in giving a salute to a fine actress!

Posted by Confederate Lady on November 12, 2008, 08:57 AM report to moderator
Caracticus

If she’s in HBP to reveal to Harry who it was that told Voldy about the prophesy, that’s fine: ALL she did in DH was lob crystal balls with the tennis serve: she didn’t appear ANYWHERE else, even briefly. So, what would Ms. Thompson do? show up on set, say ONE single line… “I have more, for those who want them!” or somesuch? Totally nice to have but when real people are involved who have their careers and lives to plan, it’s simply not enough of a part.

Posted by Caracticus on November 12, 2008, 09:15 AM report to moderator
Lisa

I get it completely. Trewlany or Emma I should say probably spent what 5 days totall on the set? the character is shown in such a small way. Dont think of the books, really thats the Trewlany that stands out. I can see why its not near and dear, they didnt give her any good material….and I loved her as Nanny McPhee one of my favorite movies. Good luck to Emma, who knows they may slap the big glasses and wig on someone else..I mean in DH we dont see Trewlany much anyway….its all good.. Dont blame Emma at all..

Posted by Lisa on November 12, 2008, 09:20 AM report to moderator
Leif Longbottom

Well I guess it’s too bad the character will have to lob crystal balls from off screen.

Is there anything else she does in that story.

Posted by Leif Longbottom on November 12, 2008, 09:29 AM report to moderator
Sarah Lee

I don’t think we should be so outraged by this. Its not like she’s saying she HATES Harry Potter. She is just stating her preference for a project that she created herself and has an inherent passion for. Her presence in Deathly Hallows would be what? No lines, just throwing crystal balls at the attacking death-eaters. That may be really funny and exciting to see, but its not exactly fulfilling as an actress, particularly one with her talent and experience. I will probably be the only one to defend her but I do understand her decision. I’ll miss Trelawney, but it won’t affect the films that much.

Posted by Sarah Lee on November 12, 2008, 09:33 AM report to moderator
Dontez Davis

I’m a little upset but like some other people are saying when the leave comments on here i dont even remember her being in the last book and ive read it 4-5 times their mite be mentions of her predicting the whole thing about a boy being born in july but i dont know. I wish the best for her but also like people are saying maybe we could get a true Harry Potter fan to play her character in the last movie if her character happens to have a roll in it. No hard feelings tho

Posted by Dontez Davis on November 12, 2008, 09:39 AM report to moderator
budb

Not being in DH is one thing…if one goes by the novel, then her bit would come down to what, 30 seconds?
Its HBP that matters…..the script/film of OotP left out a lot of the important story line elements, including the fact that Trelawney made the prohpecy. In HBP, we learn from Trelawney about Snape’s role in overhearing the prophecy and passing it along….
I’m very curious how the various missing story line elements (the locket, as a crucial one) will somehow be dealt with
And, again, I am jealous and envious of all of you who will still be around when the remake is made in 30 years (more or less)….

Posted by budb on November 12, 2008, 09:43 AM report to moderator
Selina

Boo to her.

But it’s not like Trelawney is absolutely pivotal to DH, is it? She throws sherry bottles and that’s about it.

Emma Thompson was a great and very funny Trelawney, but if she can’t see the magic of the story we’re better off without her anyway.

Posted by Selina on November 12, 2008, 10:17 AM report to moderator
Soodoonim

Hm.. that’s sad :( i started reading after watching the third movie, so naturally i associated her with the character, you know? it’ll be weird to get used to someone else as Trelawney. but w/e well always have the books :) plus she makes me laugh haha her voice is so perfect for the role.

Posted by Soodoonim on November 12, 2008, 10:17 AM report to moderator
Gloria

Oh, noooo. This is really sad news. I worship Emma as an actress, and will miss her very much. But I can’t blame her. If you have the very best actors in the world and only give them half a line, no wonder they choose to do other things. I’m surprised (and delighted) to see the wonderful Alan Rickman is still on board after the way his character is being treated (ignored)! This is a big loss for the Potter franchise. Also, I am more than a little disappointed to read that Emma does not share our love for the Harry Potter stories, but of course, different people have different tastes… I wouldn’t watch that Nanny McPhee thing if they paid me a million pounds…! (Sorry, Em).

Posted by Gloria on November 12, 2008, 10:18 AM report to moderator
Dlflowers

Wow, some of you…I can’t think of the words. “I only want true Potter fan to play these parts” “I thought she was more conected” So she was going to put her goal and dream on hold just for a few lines because all she has in the last book. I enjoy the Potter Series, read them four times, but way too many people make it into a cult. A lot of people need to wake up to the reality that all of this comes from the imagination of J.K. Rolings—One of the best authors I have ever read, and can’t wait to read the mysteries that she’s about to come out with—and it doesn’t realy exist. You sing praises to her for being in the movies, but then you condemn her for not wanting to put her new project on hold for a few short lines!?!

Posted by Dlflowers on November 12, 2008, 10:21 AM report to moderator

"Wands away and quills out, please."[br]Many of the class exchanged gloomy looks; the order "wands away" had never yet been followed by a lesson they had found interesting.