Emma Thompson will NOT return as Professor Trelawney for Deathly Hallows films.

Thompson
November 11, 2008, 03:56 PM

Actress Emma Thompson has given a new interview to MTV where she states she will NOT return in her role as Professor Trelawney for the remaining Harry Potter films. Instead she will be making a second Nanny McPhee film, noting "I’m making my own ‘Nanny McPhee’ next year. They mean much more to me.”
She continued:

“The Harry Potters are great big franchises that are something I’m not emotionally attached to or necessarily particularly creatively attached to,” Thompson explained. “That’s more like doing a turn, whereas the Nanny McPhees are something I’ve written. The art is in those films, they’re very handmade, they’re something that’s very close to me. Those are the ones I really care about.”

Thanks much to MTV for mailing!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Thompson News

stitch

well atleast shes not a huge roll in DH.. and even if she was, shes a VERY easy character to be played by anyone really.. shes hidden under crazy robes, huge hair, and big glasses, and shes already “over the top”. there are worse characters to recast than her. its ok.

Posted by stitch on November 12, 2008, 02:15 AM report to moderator
jim

that sounds really stuck up
this is huge and a once in a blye oppurtunity
she shouldnt just put it aside

Posted by jim on November 12, 2008, 02:23 AM report to moderator
Scully

It would’ve been nice if she was available, but Trelawny’s role in DH is virtually non-existant. Emma Thompson is in no way required to be attached to this series ( or any other ) – still it would’ve been better if she could have found a slightly less condescending way to break the news. I’m sure the emotional attachement to the very fat pay cheques she recieved from the franchise remains.

Posted by Scully on November 12, 2008, 02:57 AM report to moderator
Scully

By the way, I’m not the Scully whose comments are on Page 11. I’ve always liked Emma Thompson as Trelawny.

Posted by Scully on November 12, 2008, 03:22 AM report to moderator
Cody

I enjoyed Emma Thompson no matter what role she played either Nanny McPhee or Professor Trelawney in the HP films. I am sorry to hear she is leaving the HP franchise as I wanted her to finish out the last 2 films.

Posted by Cody on November 12, 2008, 03:37 AM report to moderator
jenn.

Tim – yes, it would seem the only similarity was that Harris and Gambon were both Irish.. but if you watch the first movie, and look at the origional Dumbledore, then watch the more recent films, that dumbledore wouldn’t have fitted in there, would he? not the way he’s dressed or that huge, slightly OTT, mass of white hair and beard..? i think its a shame they didnt cast someone a bit more quirky and, different.. like the character of dumbledore is supposed to be, but they dont really show that side of dumbledores personality anyway so..

and i may be wrong but in the first movie(s) prof. Flitwick was extremely old and.. a bit unhuman looking? with lots of white hair? now when you look at him in the recent movies, he has short black hair, and just looks like a very small human? but he’s always been played by the same person. they’ve always changed the way things look in various movies..

i do hope they dont recast a new Trelawney, though.. if they have her in DH i hope we just get a view of her from the back throwing crystal balls at DEs.. if it was a big part then i’d love to see a new trelwaney obviously, but since its just a small part i think it best probably not to..

Posted by jenn. on November 12, 2008, 04:42 AM report to moderator
j

i think people are slightly overreacting, quit Emma bashing, and stop comparing McPhee to HP to make it look like crap, im sure if you were writing something etc, you’d choose something you’ve personally made over a small role in a huge movie, McPhee is more important to her!
she shouldn’t have put this the way she had, that was like, harsh.. but at least she didnt use false reasons and make some speech like that Alan Horn guy who announced the delay for HBP telling us it was a great movie and he’d seen it (even though we can’t for another .. however long..)

it’s a shame, but it was just a small part in DH..

Posted by j on November 12, 2008, 04:50 AM report to moderator
Mauser

I have to admit that I, for one, did not like her as Professor Trelawney. There was just something missing from her portrayal, and it seemed more like a caricature of Trelawney than the character of Trelawney from the books.

But then again, I did not like the first Nanny McPhee movie. It was one of those films where I went, “Why did I pay money for THIS?!” at the end.

Posted by Mauser on November 12, 2008, 05:34 AM report to moderator
Michaela

I really liked her as Trelawney, just right for the part.
But, do we even know if they’re gonna include Trelawney in the film? She’s really not that much in the book, so, chances are they’re gonna exclude her, particularly after this..

Posted by Michaela on November 12, 2008, 06:52 AM report to moderator
Johanna

I absulotely love Emma Thompson but I understand her point. If I was a respected actress I wouldn’t want my name attached to the Harry Potter films either. They are crap. I haven’t liked a single one.

Posted by Johanna on November 12, 2008, 07:02 AM report to moderator
SPF

Well then, good riddance. Leave the Potter films to people who can appreciate them & want to be involved. This woman has always thought a little too much of herself anyway.

Posted by SPF on November 12, 2008, 07:07 AM report to moderator
bunty

well… i’m not outraged but a bit sad. They WILL NOT recast trelawney for sure, so there will be no trelawney in HBP and HPDH….
anyway, she played her role very well… Pity on WB that they don’t give other actors much attention.

Posted by bunty on November 12, 2008, 07:15 AM report to moderator
Professort Potter

Emma Thompson is my absolutely favourite actress and funny girl since I saw her in Tall Guy. I’m disappointed with this news but totally respect her decision. Its a no brainer. She was given a “one or the other option”. If you are in her shoes, what would you choose? She has a pet project that’s being given the green light (a very big deal) with a specific production timeslot that clashes with a 1 minute appearance in Harry Potter. Trelawney was a very minuscule role which she simply couldn’t choose over her pet project. Any scathing attack on Emma for this decision is terribly unfair. I thank Emma whole heartedly for giving it her best in her portrayal of Trelawney. But more importantly, this news will in no way wound DH what so ever.

Posted by Professort Potter on November 12, 2008, 07:35 AM report to moderator
Lada

Emma doesn’t say she’d been asked and turned it down, she just say she’s not in it. I take it as she wasn’t asked.
They will cut some characters from the films as they always do, Trelawney is just one of them I take it.

Posted by Lada on November 12, 2008, 07:53 AM report to moderator
Professor Potter

Lada, she had to choose as the two productions clashed. It was one or the other for her. Therefore, this insinuates she was asked to play Trelawney again, methinks.

Posted by Professor Potter on November 12, 2008, 08:13 AM report to moderator

"That was me," he said. "I was slashed by a hippogriff."[br]"A hippogriff?" said Professor Umbridge, now scribbling frantically.[br]"Only because he was too stupid to listen to what Hagrid told him to do," said Harry angrily.