Emma Thompson will NOT return as Professor Trelawney for Deathly Hallows films.

Thompson
November 11, 2008, 03:56 PM

Actress Emma Thompson has given a new interview to MTV where she states she will NOT return in her role as Professor Trelawney for the remaining Harry Potter films. Instead she will be making a second Nanny McPhee film, noting "I’m making my own ‘Nanny McPhee’ next year. They mean much more to me.”
She continued:

“The Harry Potters are great big franchises that are something I’m not emotionally attached to or necessarily particularly creatively attached to,” Thompson explained. “That’s more like doing a turn, whereas the Nanny McPhees are something I’ve written. The art is in those films, they’re very handmade, they’re something that’s very close to me. Those are the ones I really care about.”

Thanks much to MTV for mailing!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Thompson News

Marcheline

This is the second most stupid thing she’s ever done.

The first was letting Kenneth Branagh get away.

What a putz.

- M

Posted by Marcheline on November 11, 2008, 11:51 PM report to moderator
scully

That’s okay, I never cared for her in the role and if she’s happier elsewhere, good for her.

Posted by scully on November 11, 2008, 11:56 PM report to moderator
scully

Posted by scully on November 11, 2008, 11:56 PM report to moderator
MissHagrid

That’s a bummer. I would loved to have seen her deliver the lines, “I have more!…More for any who want them!” in the scene where she’s throwing crystal balls at the Death Eaters (I laughed so hard when I read that part and thought, “wow, she finally found a good use for those crystal balls”). I’m sure she would have made it so funny.

You’d think she could make time to show up to film one scene.

Posted by MissHagrid on November 12, 2008, 12:03 AM report to moderator
Celia

Is Trelawney even in Deathly Hallows?! I sure don’t remember her being in that book except on one part during the battle and they can get Neville or Luna throw the stupid crystal balls.

Melissa’s book is AWESOME!!!!

Posted by Celia on November 12, 2008, 12:05 AM report to moderator
sarah

Too bad! I just loved her as Trelawney.

Posted by sarah on November 12, 2008, 12:05 AM report to moderator
pottershrink

Well, I’m a sad panda :( I loved her as Trelawney and respect her enormously as an actress. Her role in DH is so small, that I’m sure she could have spared one or two days of filming for it. Methinks, as some previous commentators have said, that we aren’t hearing the whole story.

Posted by pottershrink on November 12, 2008, 12:07 AM report to moderator
Miss Freewind

I don’t really like this excuse because we are probably going to be seeing very little of Trelawney so I don’t think it would take that much time at of her schedule to shoot a scene or two.

Posted by Miss Freewind on November 12, 2008, 12:13 AM report to moderator
Krystle

What is stupid about this is that her part of HP 7 would have only taken 1-2 days max of her time. No one will be able to replace her because she created that character and has owned it for 3 movies…

emma, why not come in for 2 days while mcphee is doing some secondary filming and just film your sceen, it means a lot to people…

Posted by Krystle on November 12, 2008, 12:18 AM report to moderator
hpboy13

Ugh, what utter BS. Her role would have taken, what, a few hours to film even if they did like a hundred takes? I’m sure Nanny McPhee 2 could have worked around it. Also, I can’t believe there’s even gnna BE a nanny mcphee 2 – the first one was an extremely finite story. Oh well, I’m sure the films will survive without her.

Posted by hpboy13 on November 12, 2008, 12:32 AM report to moderator
Anthony

Anyone else think this sounds like sour grapes?

Posted by Anthony on November 12, 2008, 12:36 AM report to moderator
Kim

I’m a little bummed only because its like the final two movies and if Trelawney is in it then it will be a little weird to see a new one, but to me it sounds like she wasn’t going to get paid enough so she had “creative differences.”

Posted by Kim on November 12, 2008, 01:03 AM report to moderator
Elyzie

I can definitely understand where she’s coming from and I don’t think she means anything bad against HP. She sounds excited about the Nanny McPhee stuff, and that’s very good for her! I’ll really miss seeing her as Trelawney.

Posted by Elyzie on November 12, 2008, 01:05 AM report to moderator
Martha

She’s not essential for the last 3 films, but I hope that they at least mention the fact that she was the one who made the prophecy about Harry and Voldy so that the movie audience understands why she was significant in the books. I mean in the book HBP, the way Harry finds out that Snape was the one to hear the prophecy and tell Voldy about it and, therefore, that he was largely responsible for Harry’s parents’s murder was because Trelawny told him that information. So if she isn’t in the the HBP movie, Harry’s going to have to find out that information some other way, which is possible, unless they’re not planning on telling the movie audience that Snape was the one who told Voldy about the prophecy and was, therefore, largely responsible for Lily’s death. And if they change that fact, they will basically ruin the DH films for me, and frankly I don’t trust them to not change something that important, since in the movies they clearly care far more about plot than character development and complexity which they don’t seem to care about much at all. I mean I really hope Trelawny’s absence doesn’t affect Snape’s part in DH in any way.

Posted by Martha on November 12, 2008, 01:13 AM report to moderator
Martha

“I wonder if they’ll come up with something creative in place? like all of a sudden Professor Flitwick does Kung-Fu. Alright, that’s a little dumb, but they have lots of elbow room ;)”

well, Flitwick was a dueling champion when he was younger, right? (that’s mentioned in CoS) so you never know. but yeah Trelawny isn’t essential for DH since anyone can throw the crystal balls, if they keep that scene at all. although now I totally want to see kung- fu Flitwick, lol!

Posted by Martha on November 12, 2008, 01:37 AM report to moderator

Neville kicked aside the broken fragments of his own wand as they walked slowly toward the door.[br]"My gran's going do kill be," said Neville thickly, blood spattering from his nose as he spoke, "dat was by dad's old wand..."

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014