Emma Thompson will NOT return as Professor Trelawney for Deathly Hallows films.

Thompson
November 11, 2008, 03:56 PM

Actress Emma Thompson has given a new interview to MTV where she states she will NOT return in her role as Professor Trelawney for the remaining Harry Potter films. Instead she will be making a second Nanny McPhee film, noting "I’m making my own ‘Nanny McPhee’ next year. They mean much more to me.”
She continued:

“The Harry Potters are great big franchises that are something I’m not emotionally attached to or necessarily particularly creatively attached to,” Thompson explained. “That’s more like doing a turn, whereas the Nanny McPhees are something I’ve written. The art is in those films, they’re very handmade, they’re something that’s very close to me. Those are the ones I really care about.”

Thanks much to MTV for mailing!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Thompson News

LemonFaerie

I was a tiny bit upset at first only because I really wanted to see her throwing those crystal balls at the DEs in DH. Compared to the move of HBP to July, though, this is small potatoes.

As much as they cut from the films, and the fact that she’s not even appearing in HBP at all where she had a much more important scene with Harry… well, whatever. I can understand her wanting to do her own stuff (even though while Nanny McPhee was cute, it’s no HP, whether she wrote it or not). But as a fan of the movies and her character in them I just don’t appreciate the attitude that seems to be under the quote. If she “doesn’t care” about HP, fine, but we don’t need to hear that. Just say there was a scheduling conflict and you’re really sorry but you can’t do both. Make the point without sounding snobby.

Posted by LemonFaerie on November 11, 2008, 09:32 PM report to moderator
Tucker

She’ll be missed.. she was a great actor in the movies. But Trawlanwy wasn’t huge in Harry Potter 7. Still it would have been funny to see her drop crystal balls in the final battle.

Posted by Tucker on November 11, 2008, 09:38 PM report to moderator
Bunney

She’s welcome to feel however she does and I understand that her own creation means more creatively, but I think her attitude is a bit pretentious and rude. Good riddance…Trelawney’s a very minor character in the films, anyway. Who needs her?

Posted by Bunney on November 11, 2008, 09:40 PM report to moderator
Peter

I say cut Trelawney all together from DH if Emma isn’t going to be her! BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I AM REALLY QUITE SAD, EMMA! AND disappinted! WB, offer her a bundle of money! I will miss seeing you in DH, Emma. :(

Posted by Peter on November 11, 2008, 09:43 PM report to moderator
becca

damn!!!!! why cant she do the two films? her role aint that long in deathly hallows.. so it shouldnt be that hard… :@

Posted by becca on November 11, 2008, 10:00 PM report to moderator
Jeanne

Trelawney in at best a very minor character in DH. I don’t think anyone will notice who plays her in the film.

Posted by Jeanne on November 11, 2008, 10:09 PM report to moderator
brucebat

Boy! You can tell she doesn’t do interviews much! She should have said it was a scheduling conflict period. What a stupid thing to say! Don’t bite the hand that has fed you. That being said she can be written out.

Posted by brucebat on November 11, 2008, 10:12 PM report to moderator
Jordan

…It’s true that it’s not a great loss, with her character having such a small role in DH…But it still hurts that she seemed so nonchalant about not choosing to be in DH…

Posted by Jordan on November 11, 2008, 10:12 PM report to moderator
Kim

Aww, that’s too bad. However, I respect Ms. Thompson’s decision.

Posted by Kim on November 11, 2008, 10:35 PM report to moderator
Kellianna

:( That makes me sad. I was looking forward to a sort of seeing all of my favorites for the last time in DH. :(

Posted by Kellianna on November 11, 2008, 10:51 PM report to moderator
Waiting for Lost season ...

Outraged? Please, that’s a bit extreme. I understand her point of view. The other film is her work, her doing. I will miss her Emma Thompson’s Trelawney, but like one poster said, “if we can change Dumbledores midstream …”.

Posted by Waiting for Lost season ... on November 11, 2008, 10:59 PM report to moderator
Kerri

Boo!

Posted by Kerri on November 11, 2008, 11:27 PM report to moderator
Christian

what… a… bitch… i never liked her anyways. those “nanny” movies aren’t even that great. whatever, her loss – missing out on a film as epic as deathly hallows.

Posted by Christian on November 11, 2008, 11:36 PM report to moderator
H

I hope they choose a good actress to chuck crystal balls in Deathly Hallows. I’d prefer that to cutting Trelawney. Harry is grassroots at its base as well.

Posted by H on November 11, 2008, 11:47 PM report to moderator
celia

Whatever! She’s not even in the last book anyways. Emma Thompson sounds like a b**tch in this interview though…I mean seriously. She’s been working on the Harry Potter films for 5 years so you would THINK she would sound a little sad about having to stop before they finish. Why are they even making a second Nanny McPhee…I think they should quit while their ahead.

Posted by celia on November 11, 2008, 11:50 PM report to moderator

"So what are Umbridge's lessons like?" Sirius interrupted. "Is she training you all to kill half-breeds?"