Emma Thompson will NOT return as Professor Trelawney for Deathly Hallows films.

Thompson
November 11, 2008, 03:56 PM

Actress Emma Thompson has given a new interview to MTV where she states she will NOT return in her role as Professor Trelawney for the remaining Harry Potter films. Instead she will be making a second Nanny McPhee film, noting "I’m making my own ‘Nanny McPhee’ next year. They mean much more to me.”
She continued:

“The Harry Potters are great big franchises that are something I’m not emotionally attached to or necessarily particularly creatively attached to,” Thompson explained. “That’s more like doing a turn, whereas the Nanny McPhees are something I’ve written. The art is in those films, they’re very handmade, they’re something that’s very close to me. Those are the ones I really care about.”

Thanks much to MTV for mailing!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Thompson News

Crow Skyler

How did she betray you people? She’s looking for a meaningful way to make her living. Actors have to eat, too. Besides, what exactly does Trelawney have to do, even if they do end up casting her again? Not very much. Choice – be one of many on a huge Hollywood set, or make your own movie. What would you pick?

Posted by Crow Skyler on November 11, 2008, 08:08 PM report to moderator
Tim

Skyler – first off she’s not even remotely hurting for money so this has nothing to do with her ability to eat. Which one would I pick? I’d do the Hollywood movie and THEN my own because then I’d have a claim to fame and a near guarantee to make at least a little bit of money from my own flick :) Basically, HP was nothing but easy money for her.

Posted by Tim on November 11, 2008, 08:20 PM report to moderator
Catchpole Otter

Yup, I would go for the making my own movie!

Posted by Catchpole Otter on November 11, 2008, 08:20 PM report to moderator
Zara

That’s unfortunate…She was a great Trelawney and I’ll definitely miss her in Deathly Hallows, but I do understand where she’s coming from. Hey, maybe they’ll find another one—as someone said in an earlier comment, Tracy Ullman would be great.

Posted by Zara on November 11, 2008, 08:20 PM report to moderator
Moody One

I can understand why she wants to do her work. I don’t understand how she can make the HP movies out to be trivial or impersonal. I do hate when they leave out the greatest parts of the books to make the movie’s. But I do understand that the movie’s can’t be 6 hrs long. I think we’ll be just fine without her. : )

Posted by Moody One on November 11, 2008, 08:23 PM report to moderator
Tim

Photobrad – of course she won’t make as much with DH as she will with Nanny McPhee 2 but the return per hour worked will be much greater with DH than with Nanny McPhee. She wants to write, direct, star over the course of over a year as opposed to DH where she’d probably show up for maybe a week, 2 at most, take her money and go back to working on Nanny 2. I just don’t get it – she’s essentially walking away from free money that wouldn’t prevent her from doing anything she wants to do.

Posted by Tim on November 11, 2008, 08:24 PM report to moderator
Crow Skyler

…okay, that analogy works fine with you, but Emma Thompson doesn’t need a claim to fame. She’s done quite a lot other than the Harry Potter films. Her critics in this situation are saying that she should throw crystal balls at Death Eaters rather than do what she actually likes to – write. I’m just saying that the fans are being rather selfish. Her character’s role in Phoenix was reduced to roughly 5 minutes. Anything in the last films is going to be tiny, and might as well be cut.

Posted by Crow Skyler on November 11, 2008, 08:28 PM report to moderator
Lazy Kitty

Wow… sounds like somebody’s having a diva fit because they didn’t get asked back. Would’ve love seeing her throwing those crystal balls, though.

Posted by Lazy Kitty on November 11, 2008, 08:37 PM report to moderator
Tim

Skyler – that’s not the case at all. As I said – this isn’t an either/or option. It’s not show up for filming for 2 weeks and then you’re contractually obligated to sit on your butt for two years. She’d take a couple weeks out of her schedule to shoot her part of DH and then continue working on NM2. Oh, no, that’ll delay NM2 by a couple weeks – I think she’ll live. I’m really inclined to believe they either offered her basically nothing or she was this close to being written out anyway…

Posted by Tim on November 11, 2008, 08:39 PM report to moderator
Crow Skyler

I’m just trying to wrap my head around why people are so upset with her on a personal level. It’s rather uncalled for. Her character had a book-long arc in Phoenix and it was reduced to nothing, and all she does in the last books is throw some crystal balls around. What are we going to be missing, realistically? Nothing that constitutes insulting her.

Posted by Crow Skyler on November 11, 2008, 08:47 PM report to moderator
Jessica R.

WHAT?!?!?!?!
This is so sad!
I was so looking forward to seeing crazy Trelawny throwing crystall balls at the death eaters!

Posted by Jessica R. on November 11, 2008, 08:48 PM report to moderator
Tim

Skyler – I think people are upset with her on a personal level because any one of us would kill for the chance to be in a HP movie (much less DH) and here she is just saying “nah, I’m good.” I think that’s really where the hang up is…

Posted by Tim on November 11, 2008, 08:50 PM report to moderator
Finn BV

I was so surprised to see the backlash against Emma Thompson for this. Come on guys, it’s time to learn that every single sentence of the book can’t be translated to the screen. That’s not how movies work. There is no reason for her to continue to be involved in a large franchise with a small role when you have things closer to your heart to work on. It would be a chore.

Posted by Finn BV on November 11, 2008, 08:52 PM report to moderator
Ferder

At least it’s not some of the more major characters.
I’m sure it must be boring for a lot of these great actors to have to be in these films but get only a handful of lines (you could see how bored she was in the deleted scene from OoTP where she was improving with her food). So no wonder she wants to act in a film where she’s the star.
On the other hand, HP is a kids series that can be enjoyed by people older than 8. Can’t say that for Mcphee.

Posted by Ferder on November 11, 2008, 08:54 PM report to moderator
Crow Skyler

Seems like, Tim. It’s just kind of sad.

Posted by Crow Skyler on November 11, 2008, 09:01 PM report to moderator

Harry pulled down every book he could find on dragons, and both of them set to work searching through the large pile.[br]"[i]'Talon-clipping by charms... treating scale-rot...'[/i] This is no good, this is for nutters like Hagrid who want to keep them hea