Emma Thompson will NOT return as Professor Trelawney for Deathly Hallows films.

Thompson
November 11, 2008, 03:56 PM

Actress Emma Thompson has given a new interview to MTV where she states she will NOT return in her role as Professor Trelawney for the remaining Harry Potter films. Instead she will be making a second Nanny McPhee film, noting "I’m making my own ‘Nanny McPhee’ next year. They mean much more to me.”
She continued:

“The Harry Potters are great big franchises that are something I’m not emotionally attached to or necessarily particularly creatively attached to,” Thompson explained. “That’s more like doing a turn, whereas the Nanny McPhees are something I’ve written. The art is in those films, they’re very handmade, they’re something that’s very close to me. Those are the ones I really care about.”

Thanks much to MTV for mailing!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Thompson News

jw12

i’m interested to see how many people will be outraged by this…

Posted by jw12 on November 11, 2008, 03:59 PM report to moderator
Addie

this actually makes me very sad :( why doesnt Emma love it as much as we do?? Boo… not like they cant get around Trelawney’s character in both of those films though… it wont be that big of a deal, but still…

Posted by Addie on November 11, 2008, 04:02 PM report to moderator
Jill

So… does that mean that there will be no Professor Trelawney in the final films or that the character will be there, just not played by Emma Thompson?

Posted by Jill on November 11, 2008, 04:03 PM report to moderator
MuggleQueen

Damn I’m outraged by this! I love Trelawney as a character and I think Thompson portrays her really well :(

Like Addie said though, she doesn’t really have a huge role in the film – but I don’t think they’ll be the same without her, she was great comic relief. Hopefully she’ll change her mind!

Posted by MuggleQueen on November 11, 2008, 04:04 PM report to moderator
Jack

GREAT! She always was a mediocre Trelawney

Posted by Jack on November 11, 2008, 04:05 PM report to moderator
Ellatrix

That’s awful! I know a lot of people really liked her as Trelawney, as I did, and it won’t be the same if they have to change actress! :(

Posted by Ellatrix on November 11, 2008, 04:06 PM report to moderator
Bama Paige

Wow, this cuts a bit. You would think she would be more connected. So what if it’s a great big franchise, she started it and should see it through. I’m sure they could work around her schedule. It seems like something else is going on here and we only get a tiny piece of the story….

Posted by Bama Paige on November 11, 2008, 04:07 PM report to moderator
Audrey

I’m not outraged, only sad… But honestly, it’s not like she had that big of a role in DH. I’m sad that we won’t get to see her, she plays Trelawney so well, but I respect her too much to be angry with her decision. She’s a great actress, who brought my Trelawney to life really well, and I thank her for it. I’m sure DH will be great with or without her, and i wish her good luck with her future films.

Posted by Audrey on November 11, 2008, 04:08 PM report to moderator
haley

emma thompson is my favorite actress.i hope its not true.but if she will not return its wb and others fault not her.trelawney,snape,minerva’ parts very small.now they allay harry’ and voldemort’ parts too.i think only ron and hermione will be last movie.

Posted by haley on November 11, 2008, 04:08 PM report to moderator
razmo

While disappointing in some respects, I’d say “outraged” is a bit much. (I don’t even remember the character being in “Deathly Hallows” come to think if it.) I always thought Helen Mirren or Tracy Ullman would be wonderful in the role. Hey, if we can change Dumbledores midstream, we can certainly deal with another Trelawney.

Posted by razmo on November 11, 2008, 04:09 PM report to moderator
cw

What a pity. She did the role very well, but I can see the logic of being more committed to her own project. It’s only logical. Nanny McPhee is a lovely film of which she deserves to be proud. I’m glad she’s going forward with it. The role in DH would be a very minor cameo (flinging her crystal balls at Greyback) and, as others have said, easily written out. I’m not sure how her chose is ‘wb and others fault’. She had a choice to make and she made the logical and best one for her. salutes a fine actress

Posted by cw on November 11, 2008, 04:16 PM report to moderator
Kiwi Mc I

Nooooooooooooooo! I want her tennis serving crystal balls! That means if the last time we see her is OOTP her point to the film series was… well… basically nothing! She’s not even in HBP is she?

Posted by Kiwi Mc I on November 11, 2008, 04:16 PM report to moderator
Will

Good. I would rather have a true harry potter fan playing roles in the harry potter film then someone whos just in it for the money. Im not mad, jsut as long as someone who loves the books and movies as much as we do gets the part.

Posted by Will on November 11, 2008, 04:18 PM report to moderator
Ginger

I don’t think it’s a big loss – Trelawney was there only at the end of DH – in the battle.
I just hope the writers/directors devote enough time for Snape’s character.

Posted by Ginger on November 11, 2008, 04:19 PM report to moderator
Sarah

Wow. That was kind of a harsh statement. She was a great Trelawney, especially in the third film, and I think she will be missed in Deathly Hallows.

Posted by Sarah on November 11, 2008, 04:19 PM report to moderator

"But how did you get to Diagon Alley to buy your school things last year?"[br]"I went on the Underground --"[br]"Really?" said Mr. Weasley eagerly. "Were there [i]escapators[/i]?"