Mamma Mia! Harry Potter No Longer Top Box Office Record Holder in UK

Movies
October 31, 2008, 10:06 AM

New figures released today show that Mamma Mia has now become the highest-grossing British film at the UK box office, taking over the spot long held by Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone film. According to the BBC, after 16 weeks of release the film has taken in £67.2m (British Pounds), beating Sorcerer's/Philosopher's record earning £66.1m.

Of the Mamma Mia film, the BBC states "Sing-along versions of the film in cinemas have also helped boost the film's success.

"What is interesting is the speed at which it has gotten to this level," David Kosse, president of Universal Pictures International told industry paper Screen International.We are ahead of Harry Potter and continue to be ahead of Titanic at this stage, and we think it still has some life in it.

"One driver is the multiple viewings with people going back to see it again and again. It really is happening on a scale that we haven't seen before."

The Harry Potter films still hold many spots on the list as noted below:

TOP BRITISH FILMS AT UK BOX OFFICE

1. Mamma Mia! - £67.2m

2. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone - £61.1m
3. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - £54.8
4. The Full Monty - £52.2m
5. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - £49.4m
6. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - £48.8m
7. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - £46.1m
8. Bridget Jones's Diary - £42m
9. Love Actually - £36.9m
10. Bridget Jones: Edge of Reason - £36m

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Movies News

kerri

Thats just wrong! What does that say for the Brits….Abba people? Huh?

Posted by kerri on November 01, 2008, 07:31 PM report to moderator
Witchard

Dang it. I hate Mamma Mia even more now :p

But I do love the image Leaky put up for this news post. lol That’s priceless _

Posted by Witchard on November 02, 2008, 01:37 AM report to moderator
ibelieveinnargles

this sucks

Posted by ibelieveinnargles on November 02, 2008, 08:30 AM report to moderator
RonWeasleyFan

I watched ‘Mamma Mia’ with my friend at the cinema, and it’s such a chick flick i hate it, i’m a girl, and probably should liek it, but it’s Awful! Harry Potter is still the top of my charts! Especially Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire!
How Hot Are They In That? x

Posted by RonWeasleyFan on November 02, 2008, 11:04 AM report to moderator
sarah b

You gotta be freakin kidding me…..does this take inflation into account?

Posted by sarah b on November 02, 2008, 07:11 PM report to moderator
katie  gallagher

uk box offers harry potter wath the mall in box offers give it to thim don,t
miss with thim wood plast give it to thim he meand it rully will

Posted by katie gallagher on November 02, 2008, 09:24 PM report to moderator
christie

where is lotr??!!

Posted by christie on November 03, 2008, 02:03 AM report to moderator
Alexa

Big deal !!!! Mamma Mia released just now and the good thing is that HP has been ruling for years !!! Any new movie cannot never take HP’s place !!! It will always been at the top of the charts for all the HP fans, won’t it, guys ???? HP was the best, is the best and will be the best, forever !!!!!!

Posted by Alexa on November 03, 2008, 08:26 AM report to moderator
Alexa

Sorry,Got to do proof reading !!! I meant to say that any new movie can never take HP’s place and it will always be at the top of the charts for all of us !!!!

Posted by Alexa on November 03, 2008, 08:31 AM report to moderator
margoooo

Wow… that’s kind of awful.

Posted by margoooo on November 03, 2008, 05:22 PM report to moderator
Marcheline

Just wait until Half Blood Prince comes out – it’s gonna blow them ALL away!

Posted by Marcheline on November 03, 2008, 06:53 PM report to moderator
Puzzle

Mamma Mia! was great. Fun and entertaining! It’s nothing to feel embaressed about you silly people. It’s not like it’s High School Musical. Then I would’ve understand it.

Posted by Puzzle on November 03, 2008, 08:19 PM report to moderator
celia

WOW. They have a very interesting top 10 in the UK…the only big films on there are the Harry Potters. I guess it really does show how different the world is. The top films in America tend to big blockbusters like Titanic, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, and Pirates of the Caribbean, but in the UK…Love Actually makes the top 10. I don’t think that movie is even in the Top 200 in America. lol.

: D

Posted by celia on November 03, 2008, 10:01 PM report to moderator
randy

1. Is Mamma Mia a British film? And here I thought Meryl streep was from connecticut. LOL.

2. Why isn’t James BOnd on that list? That’s decidedly British. From the stars to the production staff.

3. It’s just okay for me if Mamma Mia tops that list. At least it’s a good film. Have you taken a look at what tops American cinemas? sloppy fell good films like “chihuahua”. ROFL

Posted by randy on November 04, 2008, 03:07 AM report to moderator
anne

The reason Mamma Mia does well is just because of Abba. It doesn’t surprise me. Abba was really popular in Europe (?maybe not in US? I don’t know). I still have their music on my ipod (alongside much more modern stuff I hasten to add!)

Mind you, I didn’t go to see the film as the trailer looked cringeworthy and I didn’t want to see Colin Firth sink even lower in my estimation than he’s managed so far!

@Celia, the one that surprises me is Full Monty. I know it was a big hit in the UK but the fact it made this list I think is remarkable. It was a very low budget film. It’s a pity Hot Fuzz didn’t get as much exposure in our cinemas because that was miles better. I never saw Love Actually (a slushy romantic comedy?)

Posted by anne on November 06, 2008, 05:13 PM report to moderator

"It's Tonks."[br]"-- Nymphadora Tonks, who prefers to be known by her surname only," finished Lupin.[br]"So would you if your fool of a mother had called you 'Nymphadora,'" muttered Tonks.