Mamma Mia! Harry Potter No Longer Top Box Office Record Holder in UK

Movies
October 31, 2008, 10:06 AM

New figures released today show that Mamma Mia has now become the highest-grossing British film at the UK box office, taking over the spot long held by Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone film. According to the BBC, after 16 weeks of release the film has taken in £67.2m (British Pounds), beating Sorcerer's/Philosopher's record earning £66.1m.

Of the Mamma Mia film, the BBC states "Sing-along versions of the film in cinemas have also helped boost the film's success.

"What is interesting is the speed at which it has gotten to this level," David Kosse, president of Universal Pictures International told industry paper Screen International.We are ahead of Harry Potter and continue to be ahead of Titanic at this stage, and we think it still has some life in it.

"One driver is the multiple viewings with people going back to see it again and again. It really is happening on a scale that we haven't seen before."

The Harry Potter films still hold many spots on the list as noted below:

TOP BRITISH FILMS AT UK BOX OFFICE

1. Mamma Mia! - £67.2m

2. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone - £61.1m
3. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - £54.8
4. The Full Monty - £52.2m
5. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - £49.4m
6. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - £48.8m
7. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - £46.1m
8. Bridget Jones's Diary - £42m
9. Love Actually - £36.9m
10. Bridget Jones: Edge of Reason - £36m

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Movies News

Tom M

Lets fave it americans, your list would be full of Star Wars and geeky comic book films :) So I don’t know why we should be embarassed about Harry Potter (see! all our Potter films are in the top 10, where as not even the frist film made it into the top 10 US list on imdb!) or even Fully Monty or Bridget Jones, they were fun films! yes, Love Actually should not be there, but one bad one out of ten, nothing shmeful about that.
Mamma Mia is a British film because its based on a british musical, no?

Posted by Tom M on October 31, 2008, 11:35 AM report to moderator
Tom M

Oops., should be “Let’s face it” ;)

Posted by Tom M on October 31, 2008, 11:35 AM report to moderator
Billy

I love ABBA, and Mia is one of my favorite musicals…so not too disappointed :P

Posted by Billy on October 31, 2008, 11:44 AM report to moderator
Professor Potter

Not only is it the highest grossing British film in UK but its also the 2nd highest grossing film (US made Titanic being the highest). But all 5 Harry Potter films are in the top 10, thats a big deal!

I think this result suggests not that Mama-Mia is the greatest British film but that the movie going public are crying out for something fresh, clean and fun. In the old days, musicals and comedies ruled the box office. High School Musical is proving to be a big craze right now. Mama Mia and High school dont appear to be great films (I havent seen either) but they seem to offer a refreshingly clean good time.

Personally, I dont think modern musicals can touch the old classics such as Oliver, Mary Poppins, Sound of Music, Bugsy Malone, Wizard of Oz, Calamity Jane..oh there’s hundreds!

Posted by Professor Potter on October 31, 2008, 12:35 PM report to moderator
Kiwi Mc I

You have got to be kidding me! I haven’t seen the film but the amount my friend goes on about it I’m already sick of it

Posted by Kiwi Mc I on October 31, 2008, 12:54 PM report to moderator
Liam

Oh well i think the 2nd part of Deathly hallows will top mamma mia when it comes out in 2011.

Posted by Liam on October 31, 2008, 01:58 PM report to moderator
Liz M

Nothing stays on the top spot forever. HBP and DH still have a chance of putting it back though. I really liked Mamma Mia, I laughed out loud at it and I love the music. I’m just waiting for it to get off the cinema (it’s been ages, no wonder it’s earned so much!) so that I can get it on DVD.

Posted by Liz M on October 31, 2008, 02:32 PM report to moderator
k

Mamma Mia! was cute, but had a terrible plot. Not like the HP movies haven’t destroyed the entire HP plot… but oh well.

Maybe if there was only one HP movie, it’d be #1, but we have to go see every single one of ’em. And I know a lot of us just buy HP DVDs since we joined the fandom late.

Posted by k on October 31, 2008, 03:37 PM report to moderator
loveisthegreatestmagic

Can I just say that number 1, I absolutely loved this film and Julie Walters (aka Mrs Weasley) was just fantastic and so funny (she needs to do comedy more often). Number 2, you can’t criticise a film you have not seen, even if you have seen the stage version. Seeing the trailer does not count as, to be honest, I didn’t think it looked that good from the trailer but really really enjoyed the film. Number 3, don’t get me wrong, I am really glad all the Harry Potter films are in the top ten as they are also excellent. I have not seen the other four so can’t comment on them (unlike some). Anyway that’s enough of me ranting, I can’t wait for Mamma Mia to be released on DVD so I can watch it again.

Posted by loveisthegreatestmagic on October 31, 2008, 03:56 PM report to moderator
H

We just need a sing-along Harry Potter. Or maybe a hum-along. Mamma Mia was catchy. I enjoyed it, especially Julie Walters as Rosie. My favourite song from the movie was “Take A Chance On Me.”

Posted by H on October 31, 2008, 04:17 PM report to moderator
Crown Victoria

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Mama Mia was horrible. WHY!!!!!!!
?????? maybe im being dramatic but i dont care. Hp will always be the best

Posted by Crown Victoria on October 31, 2008, 04:33 PM report to moderator
German Adam

To be eclipsed by Mamma Mia unfortunate but not surprising. It has a certain camp quality. Top grossing doesn’t equal top quality. The top grossing Canadian Film until 2000 was Porky’s despite many groundbreaking films that received international acclaim including Oscar buzz. Top grossing usually just means “most likely to get a sequel.” Watch for Mamma Mia 2 where a young boy tries to figure out if Donna, Rosie or Tanya is his real mother.

Posted by German Adam on October 31, 2008, 04:52 PM report to moderator
Sophie

Didn’t notice before about it just being for British films, so it’s not so bad. A lot of good British films are just made for TV or on limited release.

But yeh, of course I made my contribution to this. I went to see Mamma Mia like everyone else. And got up and sang along. The acting was awful in parts but everyone loves a bit of Abba (okay, par my dad) so I shouldn’t be surprised.

Posted by Sophie on October 31, 2008, 05:48 PM report to moderator
hericus

When HBP comes out everyone should go see it like 7 times each. =]

Posted by hericus on October 31, 2008, 06:17 PM report to moderator
IC

A film featuring the music of … ABBA?
You mean like “Dancing Queen”?
Like a bad 1970’s adolescent flashback?
The country that brought us Chaucer, Shakespeare, Newton, Tolkien, Alan Turing, Monty Python, Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Dire Straights, The Jam, The English Beat, Joy Division, JKR, this is their top grossing film?
Your kidding, right?
Like those crop circle hoaxes you Brits came up with (that was rich!) ?

Posted by IC on October 31, 2008, 11:43 PM report to moderator

Malfoy certainly did talk about flying a lot. He complained loudly about first years never getting on the house Quidditch teams and told long, boastful stories that always seemed to end with him narrowly escaping Muggles in helicopters.