Mamma Mia! Harry Potter No Longer Top Box Office Record Holder in UK

Movies
October 31, 2008, 10:06 AM

New figures released today show that Mamma Mia has now become the highest-grossing British film at the UK box office, taking over the spot long held by Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone film. According to the BBC, after 16 weeks of release the film has taken in £67.2m (British Pounds), beating Sorcerer's/Philosopher's record earning £66.1m.

Of the Mamma Mia film, the BBC states "Sing-along versions of the film in cinemas have also helped boost the film's success.

"What is interesting is the speed at which it has gotten to this level," David Kosse, president of Universal Pictures International told industry paper Screen International.We are ahead of Harry Potter and continue to be ahead of Titanic at this stage, and we think it still has some life in it.

"One driver is the multiple viewings with people going back to see it again and again. It really is happening on a scale that we haven't seen before."

The Harry Potter films still hold many spots on the list as noted below:

TOP BRITISH FILMS AT UK BOX OFFICE

eewww

Posted by javi on October 31, 2008, 10:17 AM report to moderator
Breana

but…. wasn’t it awful?

Posted by Breana on October 31, 2008, 10:21 AM report to moderator
hbp

somewhat dissapointed in the UK’s taste in movies.

Posted by hbp on October 31, 2008, 10:21 AM report to moderator
MuggleQueen

:O

Oh well all the HP films together earned way more than Mamma Mia! Lol.

And… dare I say it? I hope Twilight doesn’t beat PoA on the list…. but I honestly think it could :S is worried

Posted by MuggleQueen on October 31, 2008, 10:23 AM report to moderator
Sophie

Wow, I’m a little embarrassed by that list. Guess it shouldn’t be surprising though, the amount of ads for that film on TV at the moment is a little disgusting.

Posted by Sophie on October 31, 2008, 10:25 AM report to moderator
Nimbus-X

Mamma Mia was okay, but it was nothing campared to HP!

Posted by Nimbus-X on October 31, 2008, 10:45 AM report to moderator
Nimbus-X

Mamma Mia was okay, but it was nothing campared to HP!

Posted by Nimbus-X on October 31, 2008, 10:45 AM report to moderator
Nick.K

It is a bit embarrassing were gonna get abit of flack for this. I did think Lord of the Rings, Titanic, Dark Knight or even the Spiderman films would be there. I guess it is British people go watch British films (I know mamma mia is not British but it has allot of Biritsh actors in it). At least all of the 5 HP films are in the top 7.

Posted by Nick.K on October 31, 2008, 10:54 AM report to moderator
Freya

I loved mamma mia, i went to see it 5 times but it’s nothing compared to Harry Potter, Harry Potter is the best ever film!!!! I think Mamma Mia did so well cos with the credit crunch people want something to cheer them up!

Posted by Freya on October 31, 2008, 10:56 AM report to moderator
Flonk

As an ABBA-fan, I’m happy!
Mamma Mia! exceeded my expectations (which weren’t extraordinarily high, though), whereas HP&PS as a movie was what I expected (very nice). I can’t be that emotional about a film ranking list. If it was about the books, than maybe. But aren’t we always complaning about the HP-movies compared to the books? There’s worse than a Potter film being second place. (Every time I hear “second place” I think of “moral fiber” :D)
Congratulations, Mamma Mia!

Posted by Flonk on October 31, 2008, 10:57 AM report to moderator
Christine

Whaaaaa? I am embarassed now …

Posted by Christine on October 31, 2008, 11:04 AM report to moderator
RosieW

Ok, I admit, I did go to see it 5 times, and yes I loved it! It was a perfect pick-me-up film showing during one of the most awful summers we’ve had. But I also saw POA 7 times, ROTK 7 times, GOF 6 times. The thing is, if I like something, I tend to like it a lot. Yes its a shame the HP films have been knocked of the top spot, but do box office figures really matter?

Posted by RosieW on October 31, 2008, 11:12 AM report to moderator
Beth A

This list is BRITISH films in the UK. Twilight isnt a British film, so it wont make the list. That’s why those other films mentioned (like Dark Night) arent on the list. While a bummer, it’s not that surprising. I have to admit, I thought Mamma Mia was a LOT of fun . I can see it as the type of movie that people go see when they’re looking for something to do, or just want to have a fun night out. it’s also a great movie to see when your kids or significant other want to see some brainless action flick or something scary or gory…. it’s a long-haul type movie. it may not ever hold a weekend record, but it makes steady money every week.

Posted by Beth A on October 31, 2008, 11:16 AM report to moderator
Carebie

I saw the play when it came on tour to Dallas, TX years ago, totally aweful, I didn’t care how good the actors were that were going to be in the movie, I refused to go see it, they can’t make up for the crap story line, Again sorry if other people like it, I don’t. It makes me a little sad that it is #1 but it did have a awesome cast so what can I say.

Posted by Carebie on October 31, 2008, 11:22 AM report to moderator

Hermione Granger was almost as nervous about flying as Neville was. This was something you couldn't learn by heart out of a book -- not that she hadn't tried. At breakfast on Thursday she bored them all stupid with flying tips she'd gotten out of a libra