David Heyman on "Half-Blood Prince" Delay

Heyman Interviews
Posted by: Edward
October 30, 2008, 12:15 PM

Harry Potter film producer David Heyman is the subject of a new interview on ComingSoon.net in which he speaks more about the decision to delay the "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" film.  While doing press for his latest film, "The Boy in the Striped Pajamas," Mr. Heyman spoke in the interview to the reasons for the decision, his own feelings as a creative person, the process in which the films are completed, and his sympathies to the many fans upset by the news.  Mr. Heyman is quoted as saying in regards to the decision:
"I think that there was some people... kids were definitely upset, and I'm really sympathetic to that. I would love the film to come out in November; we would have been ready, but the fact is partly because of the writers strike and for whatever reason, Warners didn't have any movies next summer. They had Batman this year which was bigger than they ever thought it would be, so they came to me, and they said, 'David, we want to move it.' Warners has been really good to us. They've given us lots of money and lots of independence. It defies belief how much independence we have on these films. They give us the money, they read a draft of the script. I choose the director, we make the film, they come and visit. We show them a cut of the film, they say they like it, they give us some notes, we make the changes that we want to make. We test screen it once and show it to them, and then the movie is released. They've been so supportive that one has to support... they needed it. It's a film business."
Mr. Heyman goes on to speak further of this decision in relation to the creative process of creating a series films.  He says:
"It's a shame and it's frustrating in a sense as any creative person, it's nice to put what you've done behind you before you move onto the next and this is still lingering over us until July next year, but also, we'll have to take a week off shooting to do publicity, which is a little bit disruptive. It's not ideal but at the same time, I fully support it, because as I say, they give us the freedom to make these films, and they pay a lot of money."
In the last part of the interview, Mr. Heyman confirms that the film is "done," and filming for the final installments of the seires, Parts One and Two of "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows," will not be affected by the "Half-Blood Prince" move.  Filming for "Deathly Hallows," he says in the article, will still begin in February.  Mr. Heyman offers some details on the unique process of finalizing a film in an environment where piracy is a major issue by relating that "We're just mixing and there's a slight tweak we're going to do but actually, if the film was coming out tomorrow, we'd have done it but we have the time. One of the issues that's come up is security so we are not putting a married print together. We're keeping all the elements separate until we start to make the prints, which will be six weeks before the movie comes out. Piracy is such a huge issue."

"The Boy in the Striped Pajamas" is based on the novel by John Boyne, stars actor David Thewlis (Remus Lupin) as a commandant of a Nazi concentration camp, and will be released in select theaters on November 7th.

"Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" will be in theaters on July 17, 2009.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Heyman Interviews News

Sarah

Why is the only word i can really see, the word ‘MONEY’?

i still like David Heyman though.

Posted by Sarah on October 30, 2008, 02:37 PM report to moderator
Michael W.

David, Warner Bros. may give you lots of money, but Warner Bros. gets lots more from the fans…

Posted by Michael W. on October 30, 2008, 02:42 PM report to moderator
Laura

Posted by Laura on October 30, 2008, 02:49 PM report to moderator
Natalie

Finally got an honest answer out of them.

Posted by Natalie on October 30, 2008, 02:50 PM report to moderator
Nimbus-X

I can definitly understand the decision to move it to July. I’m glad Heyman was honest with us, ulike Horn who kept making excuses.

Posted by Nimbus-X on October 30, 2008, 03:13 PM report to moderator
Brad

I laughed. All you poor pathetic people “Boycott WB” “WB may give you money but Warner Bros. gets lots more from fans!!” and then the most rediculous of them all: "Maybe “independence” wasn’t such a good thing considering the last 3 movies are crap."

Are you daft? Yeah, let’s all go back to kiddie corner! Chris Columbus made big-budget cheesy family movies. That was it. The kids couldn’t act at all, everything was far too bright, and the special effects were deplorable at best.

Then along comes Alfonso Curan, and he has enough independence from WB to change the way things work. And guess what? You get the best HP movie so far. Amazing what a little independence can do to your film.

As for HBP, who cares? Bard comes in December, Harry a History will be out in a few days, it’s the movie BUSINESS. This is not arthouse crap, this is an industry!

The movies are there to make money. Jo might not want the money, but WB does. Why? Jo is an author. She doesn’t need the money. WB is a corporation, and they need the money, since that’s the reason it EXISTS.

You guys really need to get a reality check.

Props to Heyman for just cutting through the BS.

Posted by Brad on October 30, 2008, 03:27 PM report to moderator
Tim

Are we all still in agreement to boycott the movie in the first week? I know i am for sure

Posted by Tim on October 30, 2008, 03:30 PM report to moderator
Liliana

Pffft. I’ll be there opening night, as I expect, will most of us. hehe

Posted by Liliana on October 30, 2008, 03:35 PM report to moderator
Miss Freewind

I know there are people (like Brad) that think the boycott is stupid, but many of us are not going to be quiet when someone walk all over us. I am going to see it during Azkatraz 2009 (I would not do this but this is the only time I see most of my HP friends) but I am going to watch pirated copies. They are so worried about money and not about fans, that I am not going to care about their profit.

Posted by Miss Freewind on October 30, 2008, 04:19 PM report to moderator
jensenly

Finally nice to have someone treat us like adults, not imbecils (are you listening Alan Horn?).

Posted by jensenly on October 30, 2008, 04:22 PM report to moderator
Picazo

Nice words he choosed, is ok i dont mind waiting anymore i am looking foward to twilight now…

Posted by Picazo on October 30, 2008, 04:40 PM report to moderator
sunflwr

I do agree with Brad to a certain extent (PoA is my favorite film thus far). However, I disagree with Brad on his assessment of Columbus’s films. I think the first two books are much lighter, P/S Stone in particular, so a more family-friendly treatment makes sense. Before I saw the first two films, I had not read the books, and was not intending on reading the books because of the subject matter. Seeing Jo’s wizarding world interpreted on screen is really what pulled me into the series (and, boy, am I glad it did!).

I will see HBP on opening weekend, probably opening night at that. The bottom line is that WB is out to make a profit, whether you like it or not. I know that’s not a popular opinion, but it’s true and I’m okay with it. It sucks that we have to wait 9 months for the movie to come out, and it is very frustrating. Kudos to David Heyman for being straight with fans. Could you imagine if Jo had no input whatsoever?! I shudder to even think of that horrendous possiblity!

Posted by sunflwr on October 30, 2008, 04:42 PM report to moderator
Bella Swan

I’m still disappointed and don’t like having to wait until July to see it, but I’m kinda over it now, and can wait, besides it’s not like I’ve got any choice now, eh? :(

Oh well, Christmas is on its way pretty soon and Halloween is tomorrow, and I’m gonna see Twilight in November, so I’ll be occupied between now and then with other things to look forward to and I’ll definitely be busy with school and homework.

And on a positive note, having the movie in July, gives kids more of a reason to look forward to summer vacation, right?

Anyway, I’ll be waiting like everyone else and I hope that it’s worth the extra ten month wait!!

Posted by Bella Swan on October 30, 2008, 05:09 PM report to moderator
Hermione Weasley

Personally, I am sick of their excuses. It’s not coming out yet, there’s nothing we can do to change that fact, and you better give us some really good stuff to satisfy us until then. Just stop explaining yourself. It gets very annoying after awhile.

Posted by Hermione Weasley on October 30, 2008, 05:18 PM report to moderator
Hermione Weasley

I could not possibly boycott this movie. Not because I don’t want to protest, but because there is no way I could wait that long. I will have to figure out some other way to express my feelings while I work on my self-control.

Posted by Hermione Weasley on October 30, 2008, 05:23 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"I expect to see a great deal more effort for this week's essay on the various varieties of venom antidotes, or I shall have to start handing out detentions to those dunces who get D's."[br]He smirked as Malfoy sniggered and said in a carrying whisper, "S