Original "Beedle the Bard" On Display Here in New York City in December

Books
October 20, 2008, 10:24 AM

With the news of a special party in Scotland for the release of The Tales of Beedle the Bard, and the contests to win a trip to this event, comes word  now that one of the seven original handwritten copies of the book will be on display to the public here in New York City in December. Scholastic has announced that Arthur Levine, editor of the US editions of the Harry Potter novels, was one of the lucky people to receive a copy of this book from J.K. Rowling, and will lend his book for display at the The New York Public Library. Fans here in the States will be able to see the book for free when it is on display at the library December 4, 2008 to January 4, 2009. Of note is a press preview to be held on December 3, where Arthur Levine will be appearing, and "will share his experiences editing the series and the thrill of being one of only six individuals who received the special gift from Ms. Rowling."

As we reported earlier this morning, a second handwritten copy of the book by J.K. Rowling will be on display in the UK, at the National Library of Scotland for the same time period starting next month. The copy here in the US will be located at the The New York Public Library's Humanities and Social Sciences Library at Fifth Avenue and 42nd Street

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Books News

emmy

Wish someone from MY country had bought a book..!

Posted by emmy on October 20, 2008, 06:28 PM report to moderator
chuypotter

Cool!! too bad i dont live there…

Posted by chuypotter on October 20, 2008, 06:56 PM report to moderator
Billy

Woo! NYC here I come!! (only 4 hours away)

Posted by Billy on October 20, 2008, 07:04 PM report to moderator
Cree

Oh swell! I can go see it when I’m in NYC for Equus. Yay <3

Posted by Cree on October 20, 2008, 07:55 PM report to moderator
Crown Victoria

Why isint anything ever in Canada? We are like the forgotten country

Posted by Crown Victoria on October 20, 2008, 08:26 PM report to moderator
hpboy13

YESSSSS!!!!!!!!! Oh wow, I have never been happier to live in NYC. I missed the Radio City thing cuz I was away for the summer, but no chance in hell I’m missing this!

Posted by hpboy13 on October 20, 2008, 09:06 PM report to moderator
blair

I think it’s cute that it says “here” in new york city..

Posted by blair on October 20, 2008, 09:06 PM report to moderator
Snape_Snake_Snack

Squeeee! I’m visiting my brother in NYC at the end of Dec, I’ll go see it!!!

Posted by Snape_Snake_Snack on October 20, 2008, 09:18 PM report to moderator
radish_earrings

You’re so right Crown Victoria! :*( Americans forget about us all the time!
Oh well… I’d love to see an original, but I’ll make do with one of the the Special Editions! (!) I ordered it on the very first day of it selling, but I think I might get another copy as well. Cuz I’m not lending my special edition to ANYONE!

Posted by radish_earrings on October 20, 2008, 09:23 PM report to moderator
Bee

Bummer! I was just in NYC a couple of weeks ago to see Equus and now I’ll miss this! Got there the day after the reading and missed that and now this! Should have taken my trip at another time! Oh well…those of you that get to see it, I’m happy for you. For those of you that don’t, I’m sorry that you can’t. Hopefully something will turn up for you in your country that relates to Harry Potter. :-)

Posted by Bee on October 20, 2008, 10:19 PM report to moderator
Christy

I saw the one that was up for auction at Sotheby’s…I wonder if this one will look different of will actually be open! The one at Sotheby’s was closed when it was on display. The cover is cool, but I was to see the inside!

Posted by Christy on October 20, 2008, 10:29 PM report to moderator
Miss Freewind

I am so happy!!! I am going to New York to see Equus (a birthday present to myself) and now I am going to see an original Beedle the Bard book. This will be the best birthday I will ever have.

Posted by Miss Freewind on October 20, 2008, 10:54 PM report to moderator
H

Drooling, and wishing for the umpteenth time that I lived in New York as I type, that is fantastic! So great of Arthur Levine to share his wonderful gift with the fans of the world.

Posted by H on October 21, 2008, 03:13 AM report to moderator
DairineAoife

I just love living in NY! I get out of class at 12:15 on Thursdays (which the 4th falls on) so I’ll head up right after! I can’t believe one of the original copies will only be a few subway stops away for a whole month! Sorry if it seems like I’m gloating – I’m just very excited :)

Posted by DairineAoife on October 21, 2008, 04:19 AM report to moderator
francesca

sono italiana e….niente

Posted by francesca on October 21, 2008, 02:38 PM report to moderator

"I'm the new Slytherin Seeker, Weasley," said Malfoy, smugly. "Everyone's just been admiring the brooms my father's bought our team."