Marketing Professor: Only Hufflepuffs Totally Loyal to Harry

Books
October 20, 2008, 04:33 PM

The Telegraph is reporting tonight that a professor in the UK has done a study on readers of the Harry Potter novels, with the findings apparently revealing there are four distinct type of readers. According to the report, Professor Stephen Brown of the Ulster Business School says the groups closely mirror the Houses of Hogwarts, and indicates the breakdown of the groups as follows:

• 'Hufflepuff' readers take the tales at a slow, steady and systematic pace and enjoy re-reading the books over and over.
  • 'Gryffindor' readers are eager and energetic and will devour the latest Potter book in one sitting, but quickly move on to new things.
  • 'Ravenclaws' are subversive and take the stories with a pinch of salt, while 'Slytherin' readers are not fussed about the books.They prefer the films but pretend to have read the books when it suits them.

Speaking about potential sales and continuing interest in Harry Potter now that the seventh and final book in the series has been published, Professor Brown said "It is an interesting time in the development of the Potter brand because a lot of people have moved on. It will only be people who revel in his world who will continue with their admiration of the brand," he forecast.

He also noted that "Only the Hufflepuffs are totally loyal to Harry, the Gryffindors are already moving on to other things, the Slytherins never really liked him anyway and the Ravenclaws are too busy writing their own fan fiction or posting spoof videos on YouTube."

Finally, Professor Brown said that the Harry Potter novels by J.K. Rowling do not have staying power, and noted "It could come back into fashion but I think it could be like many fads and just fade away and people will look back and say 'Why did we ever read this stuff?' "

No word if Professor Brown has ever visited a Harry Potter fan site while doing the research.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Books News

splinched

you know i always suspected i might be a hufflepuff .

as for the prediction mimble i agree, people will read these books as long people can read.

Posted by splinched on October 21, 2008, 06:19 AM report to moderator
Geekboy

Further Proof that I am a GryffinPuff. Yes, I read DH in 12 hrs straight (the others weren’t quite so quick…) And like most everyone here, I have re-read the books more than a couple times.

Posted by Geekboy on October 21, 2008, 06:33 AM report to moderator
Ryan

Griffinpuff all the way!! – I think there are many of us (at least those who are posting on fan sites anyway – may be a biased sample. Anyhow, Dr. Brown may have missed a segment of the population, or didn’t get the nuances of his data. Also, what about those many of us who read (and re-read) not just for entertainment but to pull out the literary myths and deeper meanings?

Posted by Ryan on October 21, 2008, 06:35 AM report to moderator
Katty

His studies were kind of lame. Anyone could have concluded what he did. And who would ever say, “Why did we ever read this stuff?” to Harry Potter?? I think he’s just BSing for some research project.

Posted by Katty on October 21, 2008, 06:50 AM report to moderator
Sue

I did read DH in one go, and then read it again. And again. And have stopped re-reading the books. Not out of lack of interest, but mainly because I can quote from them by now, having reread them all at least five times, and book one at least ten times. But my interest hasn’t waned, as I look for HP news every day and pre-ordered Tales and the Prequel as soon as was humanly possible. So yes, book-wise I’ve moved onwards. But I’m still a HP fan(atic).

I liked the idea from the guy of dividing the fans into Hogwarts Houses, even though the comments on the site show that he did not really capture the fans in them… What really irritated me about the article, was the implication that Jo cares one hoot about being the “best-paid author in the world”. She never did, and certainly doesn’t need to by now :-).

Susan

Posted by Sue on October 21, 2008, 07:19 AM report to moderator
Elev

“It could come back into fashion but I think it could be like many fads and just fade away and people will look back and say ‘Why did we ever read this stuff?’”

I seriously don´t think so. Some people might think “Why did I ever read this stuff (it´s so childish)?”, but I don´t think most people will, because it´s a great series of books, regardless of the fact that it is/was a fad!

Posted by Elev on October 21, 2008, 07:44 AM report to moderator
The Sorting Hat

I’m a Gryffinpuff reader, but a Slytherpuff for everything else!

There should of course be two more types of reader:

The Order: Readers who check Leaky every day for news, go to HP conferences and create things like the HPA and buy Wizard Rock charity compilations to make a difference and to spread the word of how awesome reading is!

The Ministry: Readers who read it and quite like it, but are terrified if anyone discovers the truth, after all Harry Potter is a kid’s book and god forbid if I’m seen doing anything in the slightest bit childish!

Lol. HP for me definitely isn’t a fad. Harry Potter is like the default setting that I switch to whenever my brain finds some free time. I think Wizard Rock will grow bigger, conferences will grow bigger and the fandom as a whole is extremely strong and long-lasting.

Perhaps in a few years we WILL look back and say, ‘Why did we ever read this stuff?’ But, Professor, we will look at each other, grin and reply, ‘I don’t know, but I’m really glad we did!’

Posted by The Sorting Hat on October 21, 2008, 08:19 AM report to moderator
Snape_Snake_Snack

I don’t agree with profesor what’s-his-name! I’ve re-read the books and listen audiobooks countless times (close to 20 actually). And I’ve devoured them every single time. Does it make me a Huffledor or a Gryffinpuff? (Funny thing is I’ve always thought I’m more of a Ravenpuff beacuse I’m on the brainy side, lol)

Posted by Snape_Snake_Snack on October 21, 2008, 08:39 AM report to moderator
henryyilupe

I’m a gryffinpuff then :D I read the books in one sitting, but I’m still loyal to it after all this time.

Posted by henryyilupe on October 21, 2008, 09:49 AM report to moderator
jenn

from what he’s said im a hufflepuff through and through!

but how to put it.. he seems to be talking bull.. if he only knew how many various fan sites there are dedicated to the HP series and how many people view them (even if they deny it to their friends we know their taking sneak peaks when no ones looking!)
hp IS in fashion, its HUGE! and i would be prepared to bet a lot of money that the movies will be done again in the future!

Posted by jenn on October 21, 2008, 11:02 AM report to moderator
DorisCrockford

Hee. 87 comments.

What about those of us who inhale the book on the first reading but still re-read it?

As for saying the books won’t last, it’s an easy theory to spout now, but only time will tell. Academics need an angle to be invited to give papers. :)

Posted by DorisCrockford on October 21, 2008, 11:16 AM report to moderator
Freya

i always said i was a hufflepuff! and Mr Brown harry potter is not some stupid whim i’m sure it will remain a classic and i’l;l love it till i die (and after!)
Freya
x

Posted by Freya on October 21, 2008, 11:25 AM report to moderator
Cyril

Er… I am a 90% Gryffindor! I occasionally find myself totally obsessed with HP, but for a short period of like a month or so. Within that time though, i’m able to hufflepuffishly reread and re-watch and replay books, movies and games infinite times. This fall, i’ve watched HP movies about 13 times (PS: 2 times, CoS: 2 times, PoA: 4 times, GoF: 3 times, OotP: 2 times), have read three books in a row (3rd to 5th) and played CoS, PoA and GoF.
But when this mania fades away, i quickly move on to other things.
This mania is going to strike back only in the next year, i think.

Posted by Cyril on October 21, 2008, 11:31 AM report to moderator
jonamos

I dont think he realy nows what he’s talking about tbh. im a ravenclaw through and through but when ever a new book comes out i read it in one and now ive re read the series over 10 times!! and as for it being a fad… pffft!! the series has been widely declared as one of the top 10 works of fiction of all time hasnt it?!?! he should go and have one of Mr. Filch’s detentions and think long and hard about what he’s just said!!!

Posted by jonamos on October 21, 2008, 11:36 AM report to moderator
custard

I really cant see it becoming a fad because I just have a feeling that the people who waited in those ques to get the books will never forget the excitment and the trill and will pass that onto their kids! To me the books are timeless and will never grow old.

It makes peoples imaginations run wild and ive never found anything other than harry that ca do that so well :)

Posted by custard on October 21, 2008, 11:46 AM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

Her voice was high-pitched, breathy, and little-girlish and again, Harry felt a powerful rush of dislike that he could not explain to himself; all he knew was that he loathed everything about her, from her stupid voice to her fluffy pink cardigan.