Marketing Professor: Only Hufflepuffs Totally Loyal to Harry

Books
October 20, 2008, 04:33 PM

The Telegraph is reporting tonight that a professor in the UK has done a study on readers of the Harry Potter novels, with the findings apparently revealing there are four distinct type of readers. According to the report, Professor Stephen Brown of the Ulster Business School says the groups closely mirror the Houses of Hogwarts, and indicates the breakdown of the groups as follows:

• 'Hufflepuff' readers take the tales at a slow, steady and systematic pace and enjoy re-reading the books over and over.
  • 'Gryffindor' readers are eager and energetic and will devour the latest Potter book in one sitting, but quickly move on to new things.
  • 'Ravenclaws' are subversive and take the stories with a pinch of salt, while 'Slytherin' readers are not fussed about the books.They prefer the films but pretend to have read the books when it suits them.

Speaking about potential sales and continuing interest in Harry Potter now that the seventh and final book in the series has been published, Professor Brown said "It is an interesting time in the development of the Potter brand because a lot of people have moved on. It will only be people who revel in his world who will continue with their admiration of the brand," he forecast.

He also noted that "Only the Hufflepuffs are totally loyal to Harry, the Gryffindors are already moving on to other things, the Slytherins never really liked him anyway and the Ravenclaws are too busy writing their own fan fiction or posting spoof videos on YouTube."

Finally, Professor Brown said that the Harry Potter novels by J.K. Rowling do not have staying power, and noted "It could come back into fashion but I think it could be like many fads and just fade away and people will look back and say 'Why did we ever read this stuff?' "

No word if Professor Brown has ever visited a Harry Potter fan site while doing the research.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Books News

Lee-Lee

huh. I’m some kind of Gryffindor Hufflepuff hybrid. I devoured them quickly enough but then I read them over and over and over and….well I am listening to the OotP audiobook right now. I do eat other books happily and get into other books/movies/anime/what-have-you, but, I always come back to HP and something has had anywhere near the impact HP has had on me. I can no more leave behind the Harry Potter universe for something else then I can remove my arm and put on others as I see fit.

It would appear that he failed to take into account that some Harry Potter fans have spent several years growing up with Harry, and, that that kind of connection may prove more lasting than other interests we may have, and that the speed at which we read the books is pretty irrelevant when you can spend so much time as the series develops mulling it all over and that fanfiction and other fan works can involve a lot of devotion and understanding and exploration.

Then again, the very presence of a person on this site with any regularity now, might suggest a somewhat skewed sample… :-D

Posted by Lee-Lee on October 21, 2008, 03:27 AM report to moderator
hannah

he’s stupid

Posted by hannah on October 21, 2008, 03:28 AM report to moderator
HufflePuffle11

WOOT! I’m in Hufflepuff! I’ve known for a while though. I even have a Hufflepuff scarf!

Posted by HufflePuffle11 on October 21, 2008, 03:33 AM report to moderator
HufflePuffle11

I don’t think we’ll look back and say ‘why did we ever read that?’ though. HP is awesome, and I know I’ll look back and say with confidence it’s one of the best series of books I’ve ever read.

Posted by HufflePuffle11 on October 21, 2008, 03:34 AM report to moderator
E.S. the Marauder

I always score Slytherin and am just as obsessed as Hufflepuffs. And Gryffindor moving on to other things? He shouldn’t say ONLY the Hufflepuff’s are loyal, he should say that ‘mostly Hufflepuff’s are loyal’. I say this is hogwash.

Posted by E.S. the Marauder on October 21, 2008, 03:38 AM report to moderator
jenny

this seems a bit odd because we all arent hufflepuffs, yet we continue to reread over and over… he’s wrong!

Posted by jenny on October 21, 2008, 03:54 AM report to moderator
Mrs Dobby

I’m a Griffinpuff or Huffledor or something like it!!

Posted by Mrs Dobby on October 21, 2008, 03:54 AM report to moderator
Jason M.

Truly ignorant was this professor. Why would you try to put a world wide fandom easily a million strong into not only four, but four extremely limited groups. Pretty ignorant if you ask me. This is a great news post to show what everyone else thinks.

Posted by Jason M. on October 21, 2008, 03:58 AM report to moderator
ccm&hp

Yeah! Go Hufflepuff! Woot!

Posted by ccm&hp on October 21, 2008, 04:37 AM report to moderator
joycemorrison

well whatever. i usually read two to three different books at a time and one of them is always a harry potter. i’m currently (re)reading POA; before that was DH. =) tis been YEARS and i never tire of ’em.

Posted by joycemorrison on October 21, 2008, 04:45 AM report to moderator
JKMcGonagall

I am obvioulsly a Gryffinpuff. I read the books at one sitting, but I go back and re read them over and over. Definately not a fad.

Posted by JKMcGonagall on October 21, 2008, 04:48 AM report to moderator
Naria

Has anyone here NOT read the HP books a hundred times over? This survey is greatly favored towards Hufflepuffs.

Posted by Naria on October 21, 2008, 05:09 AM report to moderator
Bianca

Is this the same guy who wrote the Harry Potter and Marketing book a few years ago? If so, I got the opinion he didn’t udnerstand marketing OR Harry Potter.

Posted by Bianca on October 21, 2008, 05:18 AM report to moderator
LemonFaerie

What a crock. I am a Gryffindor through and through, I have read every book at least ten times, watched the movies too many times to count, written fan fiction, debated topics ad nauseam, I spend at least some time every single day on Leaky, often visit other fan sites and Harry is my ultimate Hero. I dress up for all midnight releases/openings and go in some sort of HP theme for Halloween just about every year with my entire family. That is NOT a fad, it is a lifestyle! LOL True, I read the books quickly, but that has more to do with the pace of the story and the awesome writing. They are easy to read because they are so exciting and character driven and they lead you on. HP will NEVER go out. Never. It is a classic for the ages. I think he must have had a preconceived notion about what he was “studying” and clearly he did not do a very thorough job if he didn’t visit any fan sites. I’m a 40 year old mother of three and the HP series of books are my favorites of all time. I read anything and everything, but I always come back to HP. He should have taken a wider sample of the population!

Posted by LemonFaerie on October 21, 2008, 05:34 AM report to moderator
Chad

Huffledor ftw

Posted by Chad on October 21, 2008, 05:45 AM report to moderator

"Potter! Weasley! [i]Will you pay attention?"[/i][br]The bell was due to ring at any moment, and Harry and Ron, who had been having a sword fight with a couple of Fred and George's fake wands at the back of the class, looked up, Ron holding a tin parrot a