Marketing Professor: Only Hufflepuffs Totally Loyal to Harry

Books
October 20, 2008, 04:33 PM

The Telegraph is reporting tonight that a professor in the UK has done a study on readers of the Harry Potter novels, with the findings apparently revealing there are four distinct type of readers. According to the report, Professor Stephen Brown of the Ulster Business School says the groups closely mirror the Houses of Hogwarts, and indicates the breakdown of the groups as follows:

• 'Hufflepuff' readers take the tales at a slow, steady and systematic pace and enjoy re-reading the books over and over.
  • 'Gryffindor' readers are eager and energetic and will devour the latest Potter book in one sitting, but quickly move on to new things.
  • 'Ravenclaws' are subversive and take the stories with a pinch of salt, while 'Slytherin' readers are not fussed about the books.They prefer the films but pretend to have read the books when it suits them.

Speaking about potential sales and continuing interest in Harry Potter now that the seventh and final book in the series has been published, Professor Brown said "It is an interesting time in the development of the Potter brand because a lot of people have moved on. It will only be people who revel in his world who will continue with their admiration of the brand," he forecast.

He also noted that "Only the Hufflepuffs are totally loyal to Harry, the Gryffindors are already moving on to other things, the Slytherins never really liked him anyway and the Ravenclaws are too busy writing their own fan fiction or posting spoof videos on YouTube."

Finally, Professor Brown said that the Harry Potter novels by J.K. Rowling do not have staying power, and noted "It could come back into fashion but I think it could be like many fads and just fade away and people will look back and say 'Why did we ever read this stuff?' "

No word if Professor Brown has ever visited a Harry Potter fan site while doing the research.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Books News

Tassana

I take offense to his proclamations. I’m a Slytherin and I love the series. I’ve read the books several times already and continue to enjoy reading them.

As far as Harry Potter the series goes, I’d say I was a very loyal fan… of the series. Harry the character… well, I am a Slytherin. What can you expect?

Posted by Tassana on October 21, 2008, 01:11 AM report to moderator
Beth

anyone that goes to the cons and symposiums are Hufflepuff readers or should be.

Posted by Beth on October 21, 2008, 01:12 AM report to moderator
Ida

I am a Gryffindor however I enjoy reading the books to my grandchildren. They are really into the books and movies. We read the book and then watch the movie. My Grandson said he like pretending to be Ron Weasly .. I guess because he has the red hair and blue grey eyes… he loves the series …

Posted by Ida on October 21, 2008, 01:12 AM report to moderator
Alex

I guess we’re all Hufflepuffs then… :D

Posted by Alex on October 21, 2008, 01:13 AM report to moderator
radish_earrings

Fascinating! I always knew I was a Gryffinpuff. I have devoured the books and yet read them over and over again, I am extraordinarily passionate and yet always have stayed loyal to Harry.

And Ha ha Professor Brown… Harry Potter is staying forever!

Posted by radish_earrings on October 21, 2008, 01:18 AM report to moderator
kevin

im a hufflepuff, through and through :)

awesome article.

Posted by kevin on October 21, 2008, 01:19 AM report to moderator
Gweneth the Good

Professor Brown sounds somewhat ignorant to me… he doesn’t exactly sound like an avid fan, so why even bother by saying this stuff? Harry Potter will never die out!!!! I’m making my kids and my grand kids and my great grand kids read them! When I get there at least.

Posted by Gweneth the Good on October 21, 2008, 01:23 AM report to moderator
Ginger

Aren’t most fans “Hufflepuff”? There’re a quite a lot of us who still enjoy rereading the books.
ha- loved what you said at the end, Sue!

Posted by Ginger on October 21, 2008, 01:25 AM report to moderator
10thWeasley

“It could come back into fashion but I think it could be like many fads and just fade away and people will look back and say ‘Why did we ever read this stuff?’”

“Oh man I wish Prof. Brown would bet me money on that prediction. Easy money. Too easy. Almost like stealing.”-Mimblewimble

haha thats great and so true Mimblewimble! He needs to come on here and see all of us and realize how much we are committed to the series for the long-run.

I considered myself a ravenclaw, but disagree with his statement. Yes I love to write fanfiction and make tributes on youtube, but I love to re-read the stories and I’m totally loyal to Harry!

Posted by 10thWeasley on October 21, 2008, 01:35 AM report to moderator
Beth A

first of all, doesnt he contradict himself, first saying that Ravenclaws read it with a grain of salt, then saying that they’re busy writing fanfic and spoofs??

Second, I agree with a comparison to LOTR and Narnia… while the hype will never reach the heights it had in the past, it will be one of those things that we all pass down to our kids/the next generation.

Posted by Beth A on October 21, 2008, 01:42 AM report to moderator
Nimbus-X

A fad?!?!?!?!?!

I’m a Gryffinpuff reader!

Posted by Nimbus-X on October 21, 2008, 01:52 AM report to moderator
Ravenclaw from Glenn

I’d be interested to see which lasts longer, Professor Brown’s report or Jo’s books.

I can imagine people looking back on his papers and saying “Why did we every read this stuff?”.

Posted by Ravenclaw from Glenn on October 21, 2008, 02:10 AM report to moderator
Kat

Well, I guess based on this, I’m definitely a Huffledor….Interesting.

Posted by Kat on October 21, 2008, 02:10 AM report to moderator
dulse

so i’m a hufflepuff/gryffindor.. I love reading the books over and over.. but i do read them fast and i read other series.. but i’m still loyal to harry potter… I’m a Gryffinpuff or a Huffledor.. lol..

Posted by dulse on October 21, 2008, 02:12 AM report to moderator
Hufflepuff rocks!

Yay Hufflepuff! LOL! Though I know quite a few people in Ravenclaw, Gryffindor, and yes, Slytherin, who are loyal fans as well. . .

Great last line, Sue! :D

Posted by Hufflepuff rocks! on October 21, 2008, 02:15 AM report to moderator

"I went looking for the troll because I -- I thought I could deal with it on my own -- you know, because I've read all about them."[br] Ron dropped his wand. Hermione Granger, telling a downright lie to a teacher?

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014