Marketing Professor: Only Hufflepuffs Totally Loyal to Harry

Books
October 20, 2008, 04:33 PM

The Telegraph is reporting tonight that a professor in the UK has done a study on readers of the Harry Potter novels, with the findings apparently revealing there are four distinct type of readers. According to the report, Professor Stephen Brown of the Ulster Business School says the groups closely mirror the Houses of Hogwarts, and indicates the breakdown of the groups as follows:

• 'Hufflepuff' readers take the tales at a slow, steady and systematic pace and enjoy re-reading the books over and over.
  • 'Gryffindor' readers are eager and energetic and will devour the latest Potter book in one sitting, but quickly move on to new things.
  • 'Ravenclaws' are subversive and take the stories with a pinch of salt, while 'Slytherin' readers are not fussed about the books.They prefer the films but pretend to have read the books when it suits them.

Speaking about potential sales and continuing interest in Harry Potter now that the seventh and final book in the series has been published, Professor Brown said "It is an interesting time in the development of the Potter brand because a lot of people have moved on. It will only be people who revel in his world who will continue with their admiration of the brand," he forecast.

He also noted that "Only the Hufflepuffs are totally loyal to Harry, the Gryffindors are already moving on to other things, the Slytherins never really liked him anyway and the Ravenclaws are too busy writing their own fan fiction or posting spoof videos on YouTube."

Finally, Professor Brown said that the Harry Potter novels by J.K. Rowling do not have staying power, and noted "It could come back into fashion but I think it could be like many fads and just fade away and people will look back and say 'Why did we ever read this stuff?' "

No word if Professor Brown has ever visited a Harry Potter fan site while doing the research.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Books News

emmy

@ Mimblewimble

I think Prof. Brown must be a Slytherin ;-)

Posted by emmy on October 21, 2008, 12:14 AM report to moderator
Adam

Gee… at first when I found out I was a hufflepuff I got all mad and said “NO! I wanna be a Ravenclaw!” Then it said hufflepuffs are the only ones who are loyal to harry and I was like “HELL YA I’M HUFFLEPUFF ALL THE WAY BABY!!”

Posted by Adam on October 21, 2008, 12:15 AM report to moderator
YoungMcGonagall

I agree with the Hufflepuff and Gryffindor qualities, but I think he’s been a little to harsh on us Ravenclaws. Not all Ravenclaws are so cynical . . . think of Luna, she’s one of Harry’s most dedicated followers.

Posted by YoungMcGonagall on October 21, 2008, 12:19 AM report to moderator
Danielle

Ahahahahahahahah. And of course Sue would be the one to post this.

Posted by Danielle on October 21, 2008, 12:22 AM report to moderator
qwill

I don’t think it’s a fad, even if it fades a bit. The Lord of the Rings and Narnia aren’t fads, and neither is this. The story is woven too well to fray much at the edges.

Posted by qwill on October 21, 2008, 12:29 AM report to moderator
emmy

I don’t think Narnia is as big as Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter to be honest…

Posted by emmy on October 21, 2008, 12:31 AM report to moderator
Luiz

Hmm, that’s a very accurate division of readers! I started as a Hufflepuff, but with the later books, especially 6 and 7, I started to burn through them, eager to finish them. Now I’m back at being Hufflepuff, as I’m rereading HP1 and 7.

I do disagree about HP being a fad though. Even now, there are people just discovering the Harry Potter books and falling in love with them. I remember at the beginning of this year reading a blogpost from Steven Levitt of Freakonomics fame. He read the whole series in 4 months and said that after finishing, he felt “depressed and empty” (to which I responded: "Try 7 years! :( ").

Posted by Luiz on October 21, 2008, 12:38 AM report to moderator
lunalover

a ravenclaw for real but it looks like I am a hufflepuff reader. I bet Sue couldn’t wait to post about Hufflepuff. squee! :)

Posted by lunalover on October 21, 2008, 12:43 AM report to moderator
If I'm a Hufflepuff, I'm switching to Durmstrang.

Obviously there are different levels of fandom-mania, but attributing Houses to divisions of the fandom is sketchy and falls back too much on stereotypes. Bring along the next pyschoanalysis of the fandom already.

Two final words: Zacharias Smith.

Posted by If I'm a Hufflepuff, I'm switching to Durmstrang. on October 21, 2008, 12:45 AM report to moderator
emmy

@ If I’m a Hufflepuff, I’m switching to Durmstrang

You sound like a real Gryffindor? ;-)

Posted by emmy on October 21, 2008, 12:48 AM report to moderator
emmy

(i’m referring to your name )

Posted by emmy on October 21, 2008, 12:49 AM report to moderator
Sarah

GAHH! Puff Pride all the way! Oh, that was AWESOME! …except the part about it being a fad… ha! yeah right… :D

Posted by Sarah on October 21, 2008, 12:56 AM report to moderator
Carebie

I think i have to say I am a hufflepuff, I was never a great reader, but Harry Potter got me excited (in my 20’s) to read other things, made reading less intimidating and less scary, but I read Harry over and over again and will continue doing so.

Posted by Carebie on October 21, 2008, 12:56 AM report to moderator
emmy

Actually, with me, it seems that I read less, now that I have Harry Potter: I don’t read THAT much, so when I do, it’s less often a new book now, since I want to reread HP. So I reread HP loads, but that makes me read less new stuff

Posted by emmy on October 21, 2008, 01:00 AM report to moderator
Enid Smeek

I have to disagree with this guy. I am a Gryffindor through and through and have “devoured” the books…over and over again. When something new worth looking into comes along within the Harry Potter brand, we Gryffindors will be all over it, I have no doubt. We may have moved on to save ourselves from literary doldrums, but will be happy to come back at any chance we can get.

Posted by Enid Smeek on October 21, 2008, 01:03 AM report to moderator

"Ready to show us all up, Ickle Prefect?" said Fred, emerging tousle-haired from the neck of his Quidditch robes, a slightly malicious grin on his face.[br]"Shut up," said Ron, stony-faced, pulling on his own team robes for the first time.

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014