Marketing Professor: Only Hufflepuffs Totally Loyal to Harry

Books
October 20, 2008, 04:33 PM

The Telegraph is reporting tonight that a professor in the UK has done a study on readers of the Harry Potter novels, with the findings apparently revealing there are four distinct type of readers. According to the report, Professor Stephen Brown of the Ulster Business School says the groups closely mirror the Houses of Hogwarts, and indicates the breakdown of the groups as follows:

• 'Hufflepuff' readers take the tales at a slow, steady and systematic pace and enjoy re-reading the books over and over.
  • 'Gryffindor' readers are eager and energetic and will devour the latest Potter book in one sitting, but quickly move on to new things.
  • 'Ravenclaws' are subversive and take the stories with a pinch of salt, while 'Slytherin' readers are not fussed about the books.They prefer the films but pretend to have read the books when it suits them.

Speaking about potential sales and continuing interest in Harry Potter now that the seventh and final book in the series has been published, Professor Brown said "It is an interesting time in the development of the Potter brand because a lot of people have moved on. It will only be people who revel in his world who will continue with their admiration of the brand," he forecast.

He also noted that "Only the Hufflepuffs are totally loyal to Harry, the Gryffindors are already moving on to other things, the Slytherins never really liked him anyway and the Ravenclaws are too busy writing their own fan fiction or posting spoof videos on YouTube."

Finally, Professor Brown said that the Harry Potter novels by J.K. Rowling do not have staying power, and noted "It could come back into fashion but I think it could be like many fads and just fade away and people will look back and say 'Why did we ever read this stuff?' "

No word if Professor Brown has ever visited a Harry Potter fan site while doing the research.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Books News

ibelieveinnargles

you can’t just classify harry potter fans like that. there are plenty of slytherin fans that are just as loyal to the books as hufflepuffs.
harry potter fans are going no where.

Posted by ibelieveinnargles on October 26, 2008, 12:37 PM report to moderator
Courtney

Totaly Hufflepuff and this guy who wrote this is so wrong about harry potter “fading away” did he even research it? cause anyone who as would see that is so wrong.

Posted by Courtney on October 26, 2008, 06:49 PM report to moderator
Susan

well, by that description, I am a Huffleclaw…lol…and I think the dear Prof is Muggle through & through…staying power…well I’d like to know what he thinks does have staying power! Give some examples! In any event, he will be long dead before the “staying power” of Harry Potter is decided…thank God for that! It’s the next generation and the next and the next that make that decision

Posted by Susan on October 27, 2008, 09:47 PM report to moderator
Isabell

Listening to Sue talk on PotterCast through the years, about the qualities of Huffepuffs, I realised some time ago that I’m SO Hufflepuff! And this professor confirmed it for me – I am a definite re-reader of this series, I haven’t read any other book as many times as I’ve red these. Go Potter! Go Hufflepuff! :D

Posted by Isabell on October 28, 2008, 04:59 AM report to moderator
Hermionegirl

Well, according to him, I’m a Hufflepuff/Gryffindor. A Huffledor? Gryffinpuff?

My dad’s always saying to me that I’m probably not going to like Harry Potter anymore once I’m 16 or 18 or something. I just laugh at him and tell him no way.
I love your little addition at the end there Sue! He has obviously not visited Leaky or any other site in his research.

Posted by Hermionegirl on October 28, 2008, 09:00 AM report to moderator
kira902k

hahah well, i guess his Hufflepuff description is okay, but i know many peoople from other houses who would never just “get over” harry potter, or pretend to have read it.
also, harry potter being a fad that we’ll look back on and say “i cant believe we ever read this stuff!” never! it’ll always be adored.

Posted by kira902k on January 01, 2009, 03:10 PM report to moderator
Books_thumb

I think that’s a pretty cool comparison between readers and houses. I’m a Gryffindor for sure, but I guess I’m more of a Hufflepuff when it comes to reading and enjoying the books. I definitely disagree with the fact that Harry Potter is a fad though. It’s way more than that. It’s a series that has inspired kids to read, write, discuss, even start their own Wrock bands. HP isn’t going anywhere, anytime soon.

Posted by boy11 on June 12, 2009, 01:24 PM report to moderator
Ball_pic_thumb

Go Hufflepuff, we are renound for being loyal!

Posted by Hopelaa93 on July 12, 2009, 04:42 AM report to moderator
Asp10_thumb

Me too.

Posted by Finny on June 12, 2010, 05:29 PM report to moderator

"Harry, if you go into Hogsmeade again... I'll tell Professor McGonagall about that map!" said Hermione.[br]"Can you hear someone talking, Harry?" growled Ron, not looking at Hermione.[br]"Ron, how can you let him go with you? After what Sirius Black near